Way OT: Metal roofs

fini

----------------

On 5/24/2005 9:55:22 AM Parrot wrote:

Fake tiles? Don't forget the AstroTurf, which is way better than real grass.

----------------

Thanks for the tip, Paul! I hadn't even considered a modern-day thatch alternative...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 5/24/2005 12:11:53 PM jtkinney wrote:

I looked Fini, is that your mobile home with the tile roof on page 2?

----------------

You kidding? I live in style, dude!

outhouseA.jpg

1. make sure you see the roofing in person, and hopefully see it installed somewhere. brochures and websites can make anything look great.

2. the roof is only as good as the installer. make sure you use someone that is familiar with the product, and that can give you a warranty that will be worth something if (when) you develop a problem.

3. make sure you keep a few extra panels "for a rainy day". if the manufacturer goes under, or if they change the stock colors, you would be covered for a repair.

my $.02

chris

Good advice, Chris. In person was the first time I saw this stuff. Right in my neighborhood, it looks great. I may end up installing it myself, otherwise I may use the same contractor the other fella used. Keeping a few panels is a great idea as well! Not sure where I'll store it, though...

On the RF blockage of the metal roof, in won't help your reception any, but then again if you have wireless computer stuff then do the walls and the floors and the heater vents with metal and put filtrons on the AC power lines.

This will keep the bad guys from trying to steal your identity.

JJK

I Chiwawa! (sp?) I just got the bid. For a 4,000 sq ft. roof. Over $11,000 for the material, and the same amount for installation! I guess I could install it myself, but the material is 4 times the cost of comp! I dunno if the wife would go for that. I'll still have to get the tile off the roof (hire out), the plywood laid (me...easy), and new gutters. Yikes!

Have you ever looked at the Workers Comp rates in CA for roofers? It's OVER 100%! That's right--the employer has to pay more for Workers Comp insurance than he pays in wages! YIKES!

I feel for you fini, I paid $20,000 and they REUSED all of the old tile!

At this point, I'm considering a paradigm shift in how we look (architecturally) at the house. I mean, it's a 1976 ranch style with stucco, tile roof, low-wall enclosed patio, and these kinda weird angled buttresses on the front.

finis_front_elev.jpg

We're entertaining the idea that we can alter the "Mediterranean" aspect (such that it is) to something more befitting the style we've attempted inside (sort of an Arts & Crafts/Prarie/modern ranch kind of blend...I guess sort of eclectic). We've already changed the front pop-out, removing the portion above the ceiling up to the roof, and adding a little hip roof (photo flipped to jive with the plans):

finis_popout.jpg

We certainly are not interested in restoring it to its mid-70's splendor (YUK!), but are not tied to anything else, either. This might allow us to stray from the tile roof (into composition shingle world). Trying to get inspired...

----------------

On 5/27/2005 9:06:09 PM fini wrote:

We're entertaining the idea that we can alter the "Mediterranean" aspect (such that it is) to something more befitting the style we've attempted inside (sort of an Arts & Crafts/Prarie/modern ranch kind of blend...I guess sort of eclectic).

You? Eclectic? nahhhhh..... 2.gif

At this point, if I may be so bold, I would like to do a partial hijack of your thread, since it's related to roofing.

Does anyone have any experience with leafless gutters? We have bids from LeafGuard and LeafAway, both one piece systems, and another local company that does two piece systems. Quite a wide range in prices, I don't want to be cheap, but I also don't want to have a product installed that I am not happy with long term. Anyone with experience please advise.

----------------

On 5/27/2005 9:47:27 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

----------------

On 5/27/2005 9:06:09 PM fini wrote:

We're entertaining the idea that we can alter the "Mediterranean" aspect (such that it is) to something more befitting the style we've attempted inside (sort of an Arts & Crafts/Prarie/modern ranch kind of blend...I guess sort of eclectic).

You? Eclectic? nahhhhh.....
2.gif

At this point, if I may be so bold, I would like to do a partial hijack of your thread, since it's related to roofing.

Does anyone have any experience with leafless gutters? We have bids from LeafGuard and LeafAway, both one piece systems, and another local company that does two piece systems. Quite a wide range in prices, I don't want to be cheap, but I also don't want to have a product installed that I am not happy with long term. Anyone with experience please advise.

----------------

This stuff is the best gutter protection I have ever used. You can install it in existing gutters or install it in your new regular style gutters. It keeps out everything, spring buds, helicoptors, leaves. And never clogs. It stays in place too unlike those plastic or metal screens you see at the hardware store. And yet you can still remove it and re-install it easily if you ever need to.

http://www.jnkproducts.com/rainflow-gutter-protection.htm

What about the normal metal roofing that's flat? Would that save you money? It would give it a more modern look that's for sure with it's clean lines. Maybe a darker green, blue or brick, something to compliment the color of your home. Anyways nice home you got there Fini.