can't sleep again

Hi Michael,

You can do a search on "sleep hygiene" and will probably find the basic tips that can be helpful: not eating close to bedtime, no coffee after 3 PM, not exercising close to bedtime, not using bed for anything other than sleeping or sex (e.g. no tv watching in bed), etc.

There are also prescription sleep medicines that are much safer and more effective than the old sleeping pills that were barbiturates or the over the counter stuff that is basically benedryl. Some people have found that melatonin (nutritional supplement) helps too.

Sleep problems can really take their toll on your health and there's always the risk of falling asleep at the wheel if you drive a lot. Some people have sleep studies done to see if they have sleep apnea, which also makes it hard to get a good night's sleep.

Hope something here helps. All that said, I should have gone to bed hours ago--another example of do as I say not as I do!

Best in horns,

triceratops

I suppose you could consider market research as studying. I've got a friend that wants me to put together a no budget home theater completely from scratch so I'm trying my hardest to learn this whole DIY speaker building world. I personally would rather go with something already made (ie, a pentagon shaped room with khorns in every corner or something crazy like that), but he insists that I build the speakers too. Right now I'm looking at $4,000 per speaker just in parts (drivers, crossovers, cabinets), eek.

I've thought about doing AV consulting or something like that as a side job; my bro and one of his friends are pushing me right now to start an actual company that all we do is install high-end custom built theaters (I engineer and they do sales).

Anyways, I've been staying up late hunting down drivers and modelling them and blah blah blah. I tend to get on these streaks and find myself thinking about things totally different from before, so by the time I'm done doing this I'll prob have $10,000 speakers 2.gif

----------------

On 6/13/2005 2:46:33 AM triceratops wrote:

You can do a search on "sleep hygiene" and will probably find the basic tips that can be helpful: not eating close to bedtime, no coffee after 3 PM, not exercising close to bedtime, not using bed for anything other than sleeping or sex (e.g. no tv watching in bed), etc.

----------------

Now that's a new one to me! Having sex in a bed???!!! I guess I could see how that might be necessary if you were old.

Has anything happened in your life recently? emotionally or otherwise. Often things like that can effect sleep. I would recommend reading up on sleep hygene too.

I had a similar problem some time back called "terminal insomnia", which basically means insomnia in the end of the night/morning. Went to a shrink to sort all that out and now I can sleep pretty well. It had to do with problems in my life that needed to be talked about and sorted out. Something that helped me a lot during the time was "guided imagery". They are CD's that you can buy at most CD stores that help you relax. Basically it is a person talking about how to breath with soothing music in the background. It not only put me to sleep but I had better sleep while using it.

I've been dealing with insommnia for years. Best advice I can offer goes against the conventional wisdom which is get up and do something relaxing until you feel sleepy. I've learned to just lie still, I always feel better in the morning that way. I'm guessing I doze off every once in awhile for a minute or two and a little sleep is better than none. It may take me 8 hours of laying in bed to get a few hours sleep but if I stay up until I feel sleepy I'll be up all night.

Michael watch the movie { The Machinist } starring Christian Bale. I beleive it would be in the new release section. Right as of now. Its a bit graphic in certain parts. What's this have to with this post? Well the dude didn't sleep for like a year is why.

I can relate to Michael's problem...sort of.

I have no problem falling asleep. In fact, as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out like a light. My problem is staying asleep...I'll go to bed at midnight or 1 in the morning (or even later), and wake up a few hours later to go pee. Then I'll fall asleep instantly and again wake up an hour or so later just to get back up and go to the bathroom again! This has been going on now for the past several years...guess I'm just getting old.

I'm told I'm a terrible snorer and keep waking myself up after nearly choking and gasping for breath, then I immediately pass out again and start snoring real bad again, just to gag from a big snore, and then fall asleep. I don't usually remember this happening but on rare ocassions I'll wake up enough to realize a snore woke me up in the first place. Then I'll get up to pee and then instantly go back to sleep again. It's the same thing each and every night!

Sometimes during my lunchbreak at work after I've eaten I'll doze off, but once I'm working I'm wide awake. I've even dozed off while driving (especially on the hour-long drives on the interstate I used to do on a near daily basis at my old job). After dinner I can usually (but not always) watch an entire DVD without dozing off and missing half of it. Then I can't go to bed until after 1 AM...

I'm a mess!5.gif

Everyone goes through periods where it's difficult to sleep. The more you worry about it, the harder it is to sleep. One solution I've tried most successfully, is to move sleeping rooms. Even on a temporary basis.

If you're lying in bed not sleeping, grab your pillow and bedcovers and head for the living room and sleep on the sofa. Put some relaxation music on the hi-fi if you have something suitable. Try a CD with the sound of falling rain for example. It really works.

----------------

On 6/17/2005 1:44:02 AM edwinr wrote:

Try a CD with the sound of falling rain for example. It really works.

----------------

Good for if you're having trouble peeing, too.

----------------

On 6/17/2005 1:47:29 AM fini wrote:

----------------

On 6/17/2005 1:44:02 AM edwinr wrote:

Try a CD with the sound of falling rain for example. It really works.

----------------

Good for if you're having trouble peeing, too.

----------------

LOL!

Jim,

You probably (most certainly) have sleep apnea. I have a mild form, mostly when sleeping on my back. Try sleeping on your side (put a pillow, or a cute chick, behind you). You can be tested for this via a "sleep study", where they strap monitors to you and all. Best to get diagnosed and treated. It can be a life-threatening condition!

i concur with fini ,jim get that check out, your suffacting, this is bad for the heart, an brain ,http://www.sleepapnea.org/info/index.html , also i would add you need your prostate check, an not fully voiding is harmful because it can lead to infection, stone formation and in severe cases leading to kidney failure

Benedryl will knock you out. It will also make you feel sort of lousey in the morning. It works and you may become dependent upon it to sleep. I guess some sleep is better than none. The booger is when you take benedryl is trying to get up!! Huh you'll want to sleep in.

been sleeping with a small fan on. same white noise as the rain CD. Seems to help. I've got cats and one or more of them usually wants to go back to their room in the middle of the night, so they wake me for that. It's better than being faced with a mess in the morning. One wake up isn't bad, but if I get that 'up every hour' thing I know I'm not getting quality sleep.

Been working out a little, avoiding late caffiene and eating. That also seems to help. Thanks gang.

Michael

Jim- DEFINITELY SEE A DOCTOR, that apnea is a bad condition.