svs pb2 ultra or klipsch 120-thx

ballenone

i will be using the sub for movies and some music and im really not sure what to get. I hear alot about the svs yet ive heard the 120-thx my self and it sounded pretty good.

so really i just want to hear all your thoughts on each sub good and bad cause im ready to get one or the other but you guys will be the deciding factor

so let hear it...!!! what ever the verdict i hope you can help me decide

----------------

On 6/22/2005 11:14:58 AM ballenone wrote:

i will be using the sub for movies and some music and im really not sure what to get. I hear alot about the svs yet ive heard the 120-thx my self and it sounded pretty good.

so really i just want to hear all your thoughts on each sub good and bad cause im ready to get one or the other but you guys will be the deciding factor

so let hear it...!!! what ever the verdict i hope you can help me decide

----------------

The Ultra would best the THX's down low, takes up less floor space, and is much cheaper.

I have the ultra pb/2 ultra. It is amazing. Have it set real low.( Probably a whole lot more sub than I needed). Can't say much about the Thx since I have never heard one. The SVS was easy to buy and their service was great. Haven't had any problems other than learning how to set it up and get it balance with my system. That's the fun part messing with it.

Someone really needs to do a compare of the KW-120 against the PB12-Ultra (in an appropriate wood finish). I would like to the performance of the 120 with the klipsch amp and a third party amp thats less money to make it closer to the SVS in price.

Would be a good dual!

I'm figuring you are referring to the Klipsch THX set (two subs and one amp) versus the SVS PB12 Ultra?

Interesting comparison... similar design, capability, technical specs, etc... I can see why you are at a draw.

I haven't heard the PB12... so I can't do more than speculate like many of the other members here (ie: chances that the same person auditioned both in the same room are slim).

I think you'd be pleased with either, and they should both perform similarly, but I'd lean towards the Klipsch. I like the separate components, which will make it easier to move them around and optimize your room. Sound quality is top notch...

1 vote for a pair of KW-120-THX ... Lets here what others have to say.

Rob

PS: I hate it when there are two threads for the same thing... the info just gets spread all over the place 2.gif

2 votes for Klipsch. While the TV-12 is a pretty bad*** driver (and I have owned one at one point) the massive RSW-15 motor structure that powers the 12" cone in the THX sub would best it hands down in terms of overall quality. Some people like SVS, but it just wasn't for me. I sent my sub back before the trial period was over because the sound of a sub in a tube just didn't sound very good to me (perhaps something with the ports?) Anyway, as I said before, chalk another vote up for the THX.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 7:11:06 PM Mavicator wrote:

Can anyone compare the sound of the SVS and the Klipsch subs in simple terms? I'm getting ready to buy a new sub for my system and those two are on my list. I don't like an overpowering bass but I do like clean, quality sound.

----------------

In my opinion the Klipsch subs have an cleaner sound (if we're talking the reference or KW series and not the Synergy line). Also, you can get overpowering bass from practically any decent subwoofer out there (lower end included). The key is to properly calibrate your system. Heck, I have three RSW-15's stacked in the corner at the moment and I've never heard anyone refer to bass as overpowering (except maybe my neighbors downstairs on occaision 11.gif )

----------------

On 6/23/2005 7:11:06 PM Mavicator wrote:

Can anyone compare the sound of the SVS and the Klipsch subs in simple terms? I'm getting ready to buy a new sub for my system and those two are on my list. I don't like an overpowering bass but I do like clean, quality sound.

----------------

All qualitative here:

Having heard both in the same setup, I would say that the sound quality is very similar. I would, however, classify the SVS as a more subtle sound. Music is where I've found the most difference, especially with pop or rock. The Klipsch sounds like it was made for music (if you can quantify that). The SVS sound is more subtle with music but with movies is a brute. You don't even know it's there until it's called upon, but when it needs to it'll make your eyes blur. As far as asthetics go, the Klipsch's tend to be more pleasing to the eye (unless you get the custom SVS wood finishes, then my vote goes for the SVS).

It's up to your senses in the end.

Sorry for hijacking of the thread. But has the fine art of sealed subwoofers out of flavor now? Seriously, they may be down 6-12 decibals but musically they do much better as their responce is quicker do to the qts. Also they have a gradual loss in bass as opposed to when the ports reach the tuning frequency. If not properly ported then the sub will be worse off. I was just wondering what people thought of sealed subs.

No loss of love for the sealed sub...they just seemed to work more appropriately for me in car audio. The calculated requirements for a sealed sub in a large room are tremendous if you want to reach reference levels at subsonic frequencies (and at discount prices). 2.gif

If you can make that happen then I'd love to hear about it. Do you have any specs?

I love sealed subs. I have not heard a ported sub that can compare to my Titanic in terms of speed and definition (granted I have not heard the very expensive ported subs, like the big SVSs or the THX subs). I do like subs that use passive radiators though. Even though they work similar to a port, they have always seemed cleaner-sounding to me.

----------------

On 6/24/2005 9:42:40 PM meuge wrote:

I love sealed subs. I have not heard a ported sub that can compare to my Titanic in terms of speed and definition

----------------

I'm a little disappointed in seeing YOU use the word "speed" to define a subwoofer, since I know you know better than that. Bass is inherently slow.

----------------

I do like subs that use passive radiators though. Even though they work similar to a port, they have always seemed cleaner-sounding to me.

----------------

Given the PR's excursion limitations, these models are often tuned higher than vented units... so perhaps you just prefer the higher rolloff? Many music reviewers do...

----------------

On 6/24/2005 6:23:23 PM CAS wrote:

The calculated requirements for a sealed sub in a large room are tremendous if you want to reach reference levels at subsonic frequencies (and at discount prices).
2.gif

If you can make that happen then I'd love to hear about it. Do you have any specs?

----------------

Infinite Baffle subwoofer 1.gif

Rob

Let me throw this into the mix. They demo'd a three La Scala front two Belle Klipsch HT at the pilgrimage this weekend that was mated to the THX II Ultras and they were moving people out of the front row when they set off the depth charges in U571. They also demod them mated to the entire THX Ultra II set up. IMO these subs are fantastic. I have never heard the SVS but unless you know someone who does have an SVS you wont get to demo it either. They only sell direct from the company, as I understand it. I am sure if that last statement is incorrect it will be pointed out. Anyway I have been searching for the proper sub set up to mate with my Heritage HT and after this weekend I believe I have found it. I have demo'd a few subs over time and so far the THX Ultra II has bested everything. I should throw this caveat in though I am not necessarily a fan of a sub for music unless you speakers are severely lacking in the bass dept. For HT I think they are a must.

I had both the svs pb12/plus/2 and the klipsch thx ultra 2's(dual sub and amp). They were compared side by side and a/b'd. I own the entire klipsch thx ultra 2 setup. I already owned the svs when I purchased the klipsch from my closet dealer. My intentions were to keep the better subs and speakers( I had M&K s-250's)for The best overall performance for theater. I now own the klipsch with the svs sub. It was very difficult to tell the 2 subs apart when blind tested. They have the same great sound for movies. The only problem was that the svs cost much less. You will be extremely happy with either but imo the ultra 2 will sound slighlty better than my sub and the klipsch. You will not lose with either, trust me. You have to decide for looks and price because the performance will not be lacking.

James

• 2 weeks later...