Just Scored a pair of Belles ( should I keep them )

Dylanl

I was not looking for them but found a pair close and bought them. I will be listening to them tonight. I hope I like them but they are up against some tough competition ( Klipschorn & Altec Model 19).

In the end one pair has to go because I do not have the room for all of them.15.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 6/23/2005 2:47:34 PM Dylanl wrote:

I was not looking for them but found a pair close and bought them. I will be listening to them tonight. I hope I like them but they are up against some tough competition ( Klipschorn & Altec Model 19).

In the end one pair has to go because I do not have the room for all of them.
15.gif

----------------

Where are you from? 1.gif

(edited)

Pittsburg? That's not so far from me 9.gif

That would depend on the price and specs (which crossover? which drivers? ... )

I have not even listened to them yet but if I decide they are not what I want I will post them here 1st.

I live a little south of Pittsburgh. The Speakers are Walnut with AA crossovers and Alnico drivers. The serial numbers are 2S838 & 2S839. I think they are 78. Can someone confirm that?

Thanks

Tough choice! Keep wonderful speakers or make a fellow forum member happy! 9.gif . Fortunately I can't ship them to Holland yet, so you have only two on their knees yet (and more to come!). Maybe decide to keep them for now, before you have evreybody drooling! 11.gif BTW, I might be able to ship things soon in a container of a friend who imports stuff. Beware, Klipsch owners! 2.gif

Depending on what crossovers you have in your Klipschorns (or how new they are), you may want to audition your Belles using your K-horn crossovers - before deciding what to keep. Because....earlier this year I picked up '76 Walnut Belles almost identical to the ones you just picked up. Was not that impressed with my Belles (with 'ole AA cans) until I put freshened crossovers in them.

Just a thought.

Carl.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 4:08:48 PM kingdave wrote:

Where do you live, a little south of pittsburgh... I live in North Huntingdon... If it is close to there, i'd love to hear them in action.. as well as the klipschorns and altecs

dave

----------------

Pittsburgh, PA 15317. Email me at Artvandelay1@verizon.net

If you are close you can come anytime.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 4:51:57 PM DeanG wrote:

Caps are shot in both your Altecs and Belles -- so you'll be comparing poop to poop.
9.gif

----------------

When are you going to offer to do some work on these crossovers for me then??9.gif

So far not real impressed with the Belles. The 299B Nos valves rebuild seems to sound the best so far. This speaker seems to be lacking in bass and overall depth. I have a pair of ALK's running in my Khorns maybe I should throw them in the Belles??

----------------

On 6/23/2005 9:28:24 PM Dylanl wrote:

So far not real impressed with the Belles. The 299B Nos valves rebuild seems to sound the best so far. This speaker seems to be lacking in bass and overall depth. I have a pair of ALK's running in my Khorns maybe I should throw them in the Belles??

----------------

Yes, I would try them with the ALKs. And throw the Belles as close as you can to the corners of the room.

Carl.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 9:50:41 PM cjgeraci wrote:

----------------

On 6/23/2005 9:28:24 PM Dylanl wrote:

----------------

Yes, I would try them with the ALKs. And throw the Belles as close as you can to the corners of the room.

Carl.

----------------

Thanks I will try that and get back to you.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 3:28:05 PM Dylanl wrote:

......The Speakers are Walnut with AA crossovers and Alnico drivers. The serial numbers are 2S838 & 2S839. I think they are 78. Can someone confirm that?

Thanks

----------------

They are 1978 models as you stated.

I have a pair of 1976 Belle Klipsch too. They are very nice speakers, however, you've been spoiled by the bass of Klipschorns, and those Belles can never equal those. Most people migrate from Belles to Klipschorns, your progression is vastly different. Also, the placement of Belles is crucial for good results!

BTW - As HT Fronts, mine perform very well with their original crossovers.

Wes