Klipsch Heresy's

Lenardie

I am new to Klipsch. Having heard a pair of Heresy's, I decided I would have to have a pair. I am interested in stereo only. My question is what is the difference between the Heresy II and the Heresy H-700? I found a pair of H-700s on e-bay. I know they are older but which are the best? Should I look for Heresy IIs? How big an amplifier should I get? All reply's will be appreciated.

----------------

On 6/29/2005 8:41:07 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Look for a nice pair of I's, the II's don't sound as good IMO.

----------------

Could you elaborate on this? I just bought some used Heresy II but I have never heard the Heresy I... What do you find different between them?

I have H-700 which are basically Hersey I. I also have a few month old Heresy II. They sound pretty similar to me. In my H-700 which were made in 1971, someone, replaced the woofer which also required the network be upgraded from a C network to and E network.

Welcome to the Klipsch forum!

I think you can't go wrong either way.

On amplifier power, doesn't take much as with all Heritage speakers, Heresy are quite efficient. 20wpc is plenty. Just want to make sure the first watt is clean... otherwise the horns can sound a little harsh.

An excellent choice for a receiver on the cheap is a Harman Kardon 430. It's a 70's vintage receiver and is fine complement to the Heresy. Typically they can be had on ebay under $100.

Actually I think Greg has it reversed, the HII extends lower and the newer midrange and tweeter drivers are solid to 20Khz.

It all really boils down to listener preference, they both sound good!

The H-700 is the predecessor to the Heresy, the 700 came from the squawker's cutoff frequency (700Hz). The H-700 is the same as the Heresy I, the drivers and networks in the Heresy have evolved over the years but the same sonic signature has always remained.

PWK said the Heresy was 2/3 of a Klipshorn at a substantially lower cost. If you like Heresy's you would go ga ga over Cornwalls! Then it is on to the big boys, La Scala, Belle, and Klipschorn.

Most of all enjoy! The Heresy was probably Klipsch's biggest selling speaker and the first Klipsch speaker that I ever owned.

Frzn,

I know the IIs go to 20k over the Hereseys 17k but I thought Hereseys went lower to 50 where the IIs could "only" go down to 63???

I prefer the Hereseys to the IIs but the IIs sound great as well.

I do think the IIs changes and composite mid take some of the ping out of the mid but that has never bothered me...I am just repeating what I have read here...I have not felt the need for plumbers putty on the metal horns.

Bill

Heresys are great but just wait until you get the Cornwalls!! Because you have entered the "Klipsch Zone", you WILL get the upgrade bug. Probably sooner than later. hehehehe, but I still love my Heresys and my neighbors have come to enjoy them as well.

----------------

On 6/30/2005 8:44:23 AM silversport wrote:

Frzn,

I know the IIs go to 20k over the Hereseys 17k but I thought Hereseys went lower to 50 where the IIs could "only" go down to 63???

I prefer the Hereseys to the IIs but the IIs sound great as well.

I do think the IIs changes and composite mid take some of the ping out of the mid but that has never bothered me...I am just repeating what I have read here...I have not felt the need for plumbers putty on the metal horns.

Bill

----------------

On the back of my HeresyII is written:

Sensitivity 1W/1m 94dB SPL

Frequency response 50Hz-20kHz

Max continuous power 100W

Nominal impedance 4 Ohms

I guess I have a good one 10.gif

Well, I think they sound wonderful, so nothing else matters... until I get bigger heritage speakers 1.gif

----------------

On 6/30/2005 6:34:05 AM JulieHeartKlipsch wrote:

OK, how do I know if mine are Heresy I or II?

----------------

If your labels are missing, the quickest way to tell is that on the Heresy 1 the backs are screwed on and this is the access to the speakers insides the grills are not removeable.

The Heresy II mounts the speakers in from the front and the grill is removeable but the backs are not.

So if you see screws in the back they are 1s if not then they are 2s

H700s aren't predecessors to the Heresy. They are Heresys, identical in every way, with the possible exception of the woofer manufacturer, to the ones immediately following chronologically with Heresy labels, expect the label. H700s are the second version of the Heresy. IIRC the original version had a higher crossover frequency and no autotransformer to bring the squawker and tweeter levels in line with the woofer.

I have had Heresys manufacturered from the mid 60s (H700s included) to the mid 80s. They all sound very much alike to me. The only ones that sound a bit different are the last ones that did not use the K-55V squawker driver (1984 or so). Otherwise, they all used the K-77 or later K-77M tweeter and K-55V squawker driver. What changed over the years was the woofer and the crossover network to match it. Early woofers were 16 ohm units (all H700s and early from companies like ElectroVoice and CTS and had type C networks starting with the H700. Later woofers were 8 ohm units mostly from Eminence and had type D, E, or E2 networks. The one significant difference I have noticed is that the later ones can play low, louder before reaching their limits. They all start to roll off somewhere around 100 Hz and are 3 dB down by about 65 Hz.

Heresy II has different squaker driver and tweeter, and so, sounds a bit different. Not a whole lot different, but enough to notice the difference if you put both types in the same system. There is no reason to switch if you haven't heard both and have a preference.

If you are running a tube amplifier, you might prefer the Heresys with 16 ohm woofer. Solid state, 8 ohm woofer.

"Heresy II has different squaker driver and tweeter, and so, sounds a bit different. Not a whole lot different, but enough to notice the difference if you put both types in the same system." - Malcolm.

I agree with Malcolm 100%; this has been my experience too. In short, the Heresy II sounds, to me, a bit more "refined" while the Heresy sounds "coarser" or "edgier."

The Heresy sounds more like vintage Heritage while the Heresy II sounds more like, well, "newer" heritage, i.e. Cornwall II.

In my opinion, both the Heresy II and the Cornwall II sound "smoother" then their predecessors. The change in midrange drivers (from 2" to 1.5") and tweeters probably account for a lot of this.

Like Malcolm said, if you A/B the original against the II version on the same amp you will hear a difference; I did.

On another note, it's interesting to note how both the Heresy II and Cornwall II manage to climb higher then their predecessors (20khz compared to 17khz) while at the same time sounding smoother.

Still, when all is said and done, I tend to take a shine to the original Heresy and Cornwall over their "II model" counterparts.

Personal taste, in audio, is basically everything - and it sure does vary.

-H2G