Testing A Cartridge

garymd

My Thorens TD165/Shure V15MkV makes a scratchy sound through the right channel. I've adjusted and re-adjusted the alignment to try and resolve the problem. It's definitely a problem with the TT, not the amp/preamp since it moves with the channel. It has also been tested on 2 other set-ups.

My question is: How can I tell if it's the arm or the cart without having another cart at my disposal? Can I switch the leads to the cart to see if it moves channels? If so, which ones? I figure, if I do that and the scratchiness moves to the other channel, it's definitely the cart. Otherwise, it has to be the arm, right?

Thanks for the input.

BTW - Other than that it sounds great which is why this sucks so much. I'm waiting for my Xtreme so I'm down to 1 TT and I don't want to ruin any of my LPs.7.gif

Gary,

I can't imagine the problem being between the cart connections and the preamp. Switching the arm cables @ the cart would only do the same thing as switching the connections at the pre.

I assume you've adjusted bias and azimuth, right? I'd guess it's possible for the cart to have some debris in it somewhere, too...

It's a relatively constant distortion, right? Not noise or intermittent thing that would point towards a poor connection?

Returned your email, BTW...

Gary,

Yes - you can swap channels on a cartridge. Usually the wiring follows the logical layout so that the 2 cables leading into one side of the back of the cart are the signal for that side and vice versa. Just tease off the connectors on the back of the cart and swap them left for right. Keep the top/bottom arrangement as is.

If the scratchy sound moves - its the cart - if not it is something between the cart and the speakers.

Of course if it disappears its the connectors on the back of the cart.

Well, it's the cart.

Anyone have a spare Shure V15 MkV Stylus assembly?15.gif This time last year I'd get one free from Shure but those days are gone. I know it was that damn anti-skating fishing weight that did it in. Somewhere along the way, things got out of whack. I finally took it off, re-aligned and set up was perfect. By that time it was too late. Live and learn.

Fini,

Yes, it's a Mk V. Only about 3 years old. I paid $200 for the V15 new!!! The replacement stylus assembly costs about that (if you can find one).

If anyone has a cart in good shape they want to sell, please let me know. As you know, this is my upstairs system and my serious vinyl listening is downstairs. I just need something that sounds decent and won't screw up the grooves! I rarely play vinyl on that system but it's nice to have the option.

So Gary does this mean the stylus might become available? I have a Shure V15 Type 3 but I'm running it with a rat shack needle.

Could this be "one man's pain, is another ones gain"?3.gif

If it's a "God"ring, then it has to be perfect!12.gif

It is a pain when cartridges and their replacement styluses are discontinued. I really like my '83 Stanton 981HZS pro calibrated MM (2nd to their best at the time), but I'm on my replacement D98S Stereohedron stylus and it won't last forever. I've searched for more replacements, but since neither cartridge and stylus are made, I've had no luck. I've come across an equivalent: Stanton's D81SII stylus, but it's made for their latest 881MKIIS cartridge, and eventhough it says it can be used on mine, I'm afraid it'll be somewhat inferior to what I've got. Maybe it's just me...I could give it a try (it's far cheaper than buying a new cartridge within the 981HZS's price range). Just afraid it won't sound as smooth as what I've got, and I'd hate to have to buy a whole new cartridge.

garymd- Last I heard from Shure was that production of the V15 design was officially kaput. At least for the V15xMR and there is a very limited supply of replacement styli available.

Shure discontinued it because of the availability/cost of the rare materials it takes to build them.