What fantastic speakers, I'm in shock

P Bear

I bought a pair of '86 Cornwall II's on e-Bay last week. It was local so I had a chance to demo them and a pair of near mint '84 Belle's that were also for sale on the owners 300B and 45 amps. I preferred the Cornwalls due to what I thought was a better top to bottom frequency balance, but I think the Belles are the best looking speakers I have ever seen. The seller was the original owner of the Corns and has only added some insulation to the interior walls. When I got home and played the same tunes on my 1.6 Maggies with the right amps, 6 strut stands, best crossover and Aurum Cantus G3 ribbon tweeter XO'd at 5K hz for a true 3 way speaker, it was the first time in the 7 years I have owned the Maggies that I was disappointed with them, and I have been to 4 bottlehead meetings, been to several Hi-Fi hobbyist homes and to every high end dealer in Western Washington and NW Oregon.

None of the 4 amps I have at home really matched the Corns that well but I was lucky to find a 4 month old current model ASL Tulip 2A3 stereo amp locally Saturday. Wow, I tell you I am in shock. I can not believe it. I plop down a $900 pair of speakers dating back to the early '60's, pay $800 for a stereo amp with stock tubes in it and they smoke my Mighty Maggie system.

I was just listening to Norah Jones first album on vinyl. Amazing. These are far and away the best speakers I have ever heard.

Having experienced a two fold increase in sound quality by changing crossover parts to those of better quality but the same value with the Maggies I am currently looking for what to use as coils and transformer. The Obbligato oil caps that I recently tried on my Maggies were much better than the Hovlands so I will probably go with them.

Nice forum,

Pat

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Pat, welcome to the forum. Yours is a very nice story that echoes a lot of personal experiences of those who lurk here.

I've been a Cornwall owner/lover for about four years now. I have Klipschorns too, but for an easy 2-channel setup without room restrictions, the Cornwall is an amazing performer, especially given the price you can buy them for when you're patient.

You might want to keep your eyes out for a vintage pair of early sixties Cornwall II's with the vertically-mounted midrange and tweeter. For tubes, they are as good as it gets!

See link: http://home.comcast.net/~robinson_audio/photo_klipsch_cornwall_interior.htm

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Congrats on the Cornwalls!!! There are a lot of people on the forum that can help you with any tech questions. Klipsch speakers need the right equipment to run them and when you find the right combo they sound fantastic!! I own a pair of La Scalas, similar to the Belles but not as good looking. Tube gear seams to match very well with Klipsch but I have also heard solid state sound great too. Welcome to the forum!!

Xman

----------------

On 7/4/2005 5:12:46 PM P Bear wrote:

..."Wow, I tell you I am in shock. I can not believe it."

----------------

Welcome to the forum, Pat, and to Cornwall ownership! They truely are outstanding loudspeakers, and I'm glad you're totally enthralled with their sound quality.

There are two forum members I know of that are crossover experts, that being Al Klappenberger and DeanG...both design and build quality crossovers for much of the Heritage and Reference lines. If you're interested in new updates for your Cornwalls, contact each member and see what they can offer you (a search in "Updates and Modifications" forum will provide you with oodles of information).

Enjoy your Cornwalls, and happy listening! 2.gif

----------------

On 7/4/2005 5:34:04 PM P Bear wrote:

There is a pair of vertical Corns for sale about 2 hours away. What makes you say that they are great with tubes?

Pat

----------------

Well, I was half-kidding when I said chase down a pair. Your CWII's are wonderful.

I owned a pair of Cornwall I's (1985) and loved them. Then I happened to hear a pair of early Cornwall II's from 1964 and was amazed at what sounded like better sound dispersion or imaging. I did some research on this site and found similar comments.

The early II's could be laid on their side (landscape mode if you will) or on end (portrait). The HF section is not on the centerline of the speaker so they have to be bought in matching pairs.

A pair became available in Boston a few years ago and I grabbed them and sold my CW I's. I loved the look and sound of them, esp. with SET amplification. For jazz, I love these speakers. They just get so much right. Maybe it's my own imagination, but the older II's just do it a little better for me, plus I'm in love with the Heritage line in general and having a vintage pair just makes me smile.

These CW II's are now up in Quebec City at Jean Francois Lessard's place. He's enjoying them immensely while diddling with the crossovers. My pair came from Chas Borchers (FrznVT) up in VT. Pretty mahoghany babies.

It really IS a disease. Be careful. Get your innoculations :)

PS: Love George Wright's stuff. Had a pair of his 2A3's before going with Jeff Lessard's amazing Horus-Pantheon combination.

Thanks everyone!

And thanks Chris, maybe I will just have to check those guys out. I can see the advantage of being able to build Al K's flat impedance XO, which doesn't work for the '86 drivers.

I've been able to spend some real time with these speakers and every record I play sounds the best I have ever herd it.

Still in Shock,

Pat

Welcome Pat!

I'm the original owner of my '80 Cornwalls and even though I also own Klipschorns (and Heresys), the Cornwalls have their own unique sound and may be the best speaker for the money, period. Congrats on your purchase and may they give you many, many years of listening pleasure.

Welcome to the board and the wonderful sound of Klipsch! I have had many speakers in the Klipsch line and I love my Cornwalls. If I had to discribe them in one word it would be

EFFORTLESS!!

You have found a good thing with your amp but check out a little higher powered units (that will bring howels from set people!) Klipsch recomends an amp of at least 20wpc to make the cornwalls sing! And SING they do!

"Best speaker for the $ ever made"

Yep. And when one considers the going prices for used Cornwalls, it seems like you ripped the seller off. No way, no how should that much sound be available for the 800-1000 asking prices. At those rates, you can have an entire home theater fulla Cornwalls.

As for the Cornwalls shredding the tediously assembled and now prior system of the original poster, well, that's just par for the course. Happens all the time here in Klipschland - a perfectly normal occurrence that happens most days of the week. Nothin' to see here......move right along.....just another dude who soiled himself over a pair of Cornwalls.....hehehehehe2.gif

11.3' by 17.3'. I don't want to put them on the long wall because I have a 65" TV and I would be too close to it. But I was measuring last night and I could put the TV in the corner and a Klipschorn with 4' false corners on each side and still see the TV. Some of the folks who do the Home Entertainment shows with their gear in a hotel room set up diagonal and it seems to work well.

In that size room, I'd stick with the cornwalls. Khorns will sound good but they need a little breathing room, especially pulled out of the corners. Unless you have plans to move or to put them in a bigger room, I think the corns would be more versatile. My khorns are in a 13x25 room and I think even that is too small to really get the most out of them. Others may disagree. If you do decide to go with khorns, try to put them as far apart as possible, giving yourself a nice sweet spot on the long wall (if possible).