Bob Crites Crossover rebuild opinions

DOn't know about La Scalas, but he did a Cornwall crossover job for me, and I am hearing things I haven't thought possible...I really didn't think these things could sound any better. The price is very reasonable, at least what he did for me...

I am waiting a bit to get the wife acclimatized before I send the RF-7's cross to DeanG, but I think the Crites mod was so far some of the best cash I've spent, IMO, such as it is.

K

Bob Crites has done excellent work for me. He's built several types for me, but on LaScala has rebuilt a couple of AA's and a type A from scratch.

A couple of options you might like... Type AA to A convertible. Also can add a lead to the #3 autoformer tap, which if used will lower the squawker output by 3dbs... nice for balancing midrange on LaScala or Khorn.

In fact, I've never heard of anyone disappointed with Bob's work.

If you are looking to have an A or AA rebuilt either Bob Crites or Dean Wescott are who you are looking for. Another option for your LA Scala's is what I have done with mine, that is Al Klappenbergers ALK Universal A's. Any of these options should make your La Scalas sing once again.

Do a search on my username and you will find posts detailing my experience with Bob's "freshening" of my La Scala networks, bringing them up to the A/AA convertible. To sum it up I would say I would RUN to get this done again. Bob is the Best!!

Chris

Yes, I have spoken to Bob on email, and had nice conversations so I agree and fully expect to send him my Scala AA for rebuild. Just with a few other options out there I just wnated to get opionions on his, nothing else. I think Bob wont mind, Bob dont hate me ?? : )

I highly recommend Bob and his work. I have a set of '68 K-horns with original Type A networks and they sounded great. Bob and I exchanged many emails, and I decided I wanted to get them re-capped before springing for totally new networks. I like the idea that he was just bringing the networks back up to "factory-fresh" as they would have left the plant in Hope. I also sent him my K-77s for diaphragm replacement, as we both figured they would need it as well. Got everything back in a very reasonable time, hooked things back up, and was VERY pleased with the results. The "new" K-horns were much clearer and detailed; I could tell within the first few minutes that I made a good decision.

For having 36 yr old networks, Bob said the caps weren't all that bad, but new ones certainly make a difference. I don't know what a good rule of thumb should be as to when to re-cap, but it can make an impressive improvement. You will be pleased with what you get back from BEC!

----------------

On 7/6/2005 5:46:20 PM DeanG wrote:

I can't get a decent pair of networks from Bob. Every time I order, he just sends the parts - like he expects me to build them myself or something.
9.gif

----------------

Dean,

That it true, I only put them together for PAYING customers.

Bob

My thought when I saw these cedar boards was that I see no reason the guy at the sawmill couldn't make 4 X 8 sheets of this stuff. That thought led me to thoughts of some pretty unique speaker cabinets.

Bob

bob rebuilt my cornwall 2 crossovers along with helping me troubbleshoot a few diaphram issues. he fixed my problems and the xovers provided an immediate and noticeable increase in performance across the board. very honest, very easy to communicate with, and his pricing was extremely fair.