How to clean grungy receiver face?

I've been working for a while cleaning the grunge off the face of a Fisher receiver. Mostly dirt and oil around the controls.

Anyway, the aluminum has a brushed finish, so there are lots of micro sized places to hold the crud. Been working with alcohol and Q-tips, but this is really slow. It is hard to get into the brushed finish to clean.

Any suggestions to expedite the process? Appreciate your thoughts here.

I suppose a grinding wheel is outta the question?

hmm..

The FIRST thing that came to my mind was "Goof off" but I don't know if that would do anything to the finish.

(I've done it now... you're gonna take the grinding wheel to your 'crappy' amp before you send it to me, aren't ya... huh?)

2.gif

Yeh, actually I think I have some goof off. Will try to keep it away from the lettering, though.

Grinding wheel? That is definitely a "man tool" as my wife would say.

"That thing needs more power, that's all it needs..." -Tim Allen

A soft bristled toothbrush can help getting it out of the brushed aluminum. Just apply very gentle pressure. Simple Green does an amazing job getting crud off stuff or some of those citrus based cleaners. Go easy around the silk screening though. Lighter fluid also works well.

Good experience with Windex, too, although some lettering is decaled and comes right off when wet and rubbed.

Aluminum cleaner/polish (I have some branded "Farberware" from an outlet store of same) works well on grungy aluminum, too.

Another good 'degreaser' sort of cleaner is liquid dish detergent used neat (i.e., no water).

Stuff like "Goo Gone" is excellent for sticky tape residue and the like.

Resist the temptation to use ANY alkaline cleaner (e.g., Easy-Off) on aluminum! Aluminum is extremely sensitive to caustic. Probably best to avoid any ammonia-containing cleaner stronger than Windex, too, for that matter, even though ammonia is much less basic than NaOH.

I recommend a toothbrush and Fantastic or 409.

I squirt the cleaner into a small container like a jar lid. Then dip the toothbrush. I also have a dry paper towel at hand to wipe of the liquid so it doesn't drip into controls, etc.

Gil