VRD ouners,Im looking for comments

hello all i just received my vrd's from the mighty craig and i am wandering how some of you feel about yours and what mode you use the amps in and why you choose that mode, any advice on tube rolling that improves sound etc...

before you say it i will let you know im just prying, i know i have to listen to them for awhile and get my oun impressions let the tubes burn in and all.

only inquireing for now not buying any extras thanks 10.gif Joe

Joe,

I'd ask you to bring those babies over tomorrow (screw the burn-in3.gif) but I'm waiting for my Xtreme. I've been pre-less for almost two weeks now and it'll probably be at least another week before I can play LPs.15.gif

I'm going through some serious vinyl withdrawal. 14.gif

I do not own them, but heard Craig's pair. He was using Mullard smalls and rectifiers with Valve Art outputs and they sounded FANTASTIC. From what Craig told me, NOS brand smalls with the chinese outputs are the best way to spend tube $$$ for these. With the performance I heard, I cannot argue.

We played around with the triode/ultralinear switch and did not hear much difference between them. Mainly we listened in ultralinear and there were NO COMPLAINTS. We didn't really bother to evaluate the triode mode seriously - because the ultralinear sounded so good.

I have had my VRDs for a few months now, and I really do enjoy them. I haven't found anything they don't do well, and I play the heck out of them. I have had 0 trouble, and they continue to operate flawlessly.

I use the ultra linear mode just about all the time. I am using Amperex Bugle boys in both small signal positions, and JJ output tubes. I haven't changed the rectifier. Other than the Valve art and JJ outputs, I really haven't found another type that has reasonable pricing. The JJs clearly sound better than the Valve Arts (IMHO), but they cost a little more. The biggest difference I have found is placing your money down on the small signal tubes. Those seem to change the amp's personality the most. I have been very happy with the Amperex, and I have some Telefunkens on the way.

I use a Peach preamp, and the combination really does it for me. I guess the best thing I could say about the VRDs is that they have been very reliable, have excellent performance all over the spectrum, have plenty of power, great sound stage, and just seem to disappear. They just play effortlessly, nice and clean with no issues.

A HUGE step up from the vintage integrateds and a recommended "Best Buy".9.gif

I have had my VRD's for quite some time now and they are loved liked children 2.gif. I prefer ultralinear mode as the triode mode does not seem quite as full or to have as much on the bottom end. Besides, I believe Craig optimizes/tweaks the circuit for Ultralinear mode anyway.

I have my Blueberry in use with the VRD's and Khorns and it is a very formidable alliance to say the least. The 8 ohm taps seem to be the very best for the Khorns. I am using Tele 12AU7's, Mullards in the 12AX7 spot(tried NOS Teles, etc.), M&O 5AR4 rect.(had these leftover from my Scott 296)and EI KT90's for output. So far this has proven to be my favorite combo. As far as output tubes go, I tried the Valve Art KT88's, NOS/NIB GEC KT88's from the 60's, EH KT90's and a few others and the EI KT90 blows them away in my setup. A very full, rich and authoritative tube with very good bottom end, smooth throuhout. I do want to try a different vintage Mullard 12AX7 and play a bit with some different 12AU7's, but not anytime soon.

I think my tube rolling with the Blueberry has come to a glorious end. NOS RCA rectifier, NOS 1950's Mullard Long Plate 12AX7, NOS 1960's Siemens CCA and a NOS pair of Genalex B739's(these hurt the wallet). I cannot describe this combination, kind of like tube heaven I guess. Everything just seems right with this grouping, they work as a team. With other combos I tried, it just always seemed like there was a conflict somewhere keeping the Blueberry from its groove or that something could always be better, not anymore.

I run my VRDs in Ultra Linear and with the stock tubes.

As an aside, I wanted to mention how incredibly easy it is to bias the VRDs. While I imagine there are a few people hesitant about it, there is no reason to be. I haven't timed the procedure with a stopwatch but I don't think it takes even a minute to check both amps with a little hand-held multimeter. And since first owning VRDs in March, the bias has not needed adjusting, not even a hair.

Very good point Paul, I forgot to mention that. You are spot on too. Piece of cake to check and adjust if/when needed. Mine have held steady as a rock also. There just does not seem to be a downside to these amps, well, except maybe for the fact that Craig made 'em. 2.gif

I have had VRD's for about a year now. I could not think of replacing them with anything else. They do great with Jazz music, and Rock n Roll is good to. I have GEC KT88's and really like them. I put Tele smooth plates in the other two positions.

Never had a problem yet and they have huge hours on them now. I have even had a few rock out sessions at volumes way to loud. Cornwall's and Vrd's are a match made in heaven.

i have to agree that they are super easy to adjust i like the fact that the ports for the multimeter are right there on top and can actually plug the leads in nice and tight i have approx. 10 hours on these now and have enjoyed every minute so far, dont want to post an overall opinion till i get more ear time 10.gif joe

----------------

On 7/9/2005 7:30:45 PM Speedball wrote:

Do those VRD's need to be turned upside down or some way to access the adjustments for biasing?
----------------

Everything is up top as in this instruction picture shows. What makes it so easy to do is the 15 revolution multi turn controls. The vintage gear all used pots that had to acomplish the same with less the one full turn.

VRD_WEB4.jpg

Thanks for the comment's guy's.

Craig

Had mine for over a year.

Love them.

Bias is easy.

Changed all the tubes out in March. Didn't really need too, but I like rolling and playing around.

Am using 6550A tubes now instead of KT88's. I like the sound.

How much do I like them. A pair of KHorns that I have wanted for the last 3 years fell in my lap.

I sold alot of equipment in the last month, but I am keeping my Peach and VRD's.

I will buy one more when I get a Belle.

Danny

It is extremely simple. You put the black probe of your multimeter into the Ground hole. You put the red probe of your multimeter into the Bias Test Point hole. Then you just use a small screwdriver (supplied) to adjust the Bias Control screw to exactly where you want it to be for one tube. Then you move the red probe to the Bias Test Point hole for the other tube and adjust the Bias Control for it. That's all there is to it. Can you spare 60 seconds every 3-6 months?

There's no writing on the actual amp. Craig's photo is just for directions.