Anyone know dealer cost?

capo72

My local Reference dealer is American TV. They are a mega electronics, appliance, furniture store. Anyway next week they are having a big sale where they sell at employee price, which they say is 50% off the mark up. They sell RF-7 for $999 a piece. RC-7 for $750.

I'd like to know what their cost is roughly, so I know how much they are marking them up. I know RF-7's can be had for $800 a piece elsewhere, no problem. So if they are marking them up 40%, then employee price is $800. Decent deal, but not the screaming deal i'm looking for.

I'll probably finally buy the new TV anyway. Leaning toward JVC DILA 70" 3.gif Any help with Reference dealer cost, is much appreciated.

Jeremy

I'm hoping they mark up Klipsch alot. If I can get the RF-7's in the $550-$600 range i'll buy 4 instead of the 2 i'm planning on. I don't expcect that to happen though. I've been waiting for this sale for a while. I'm gonna walk in with a big wad of cash, and hope it will motivate them to do even better. Sale runs 7/10-7/16 for anyone interested, American TV stores are located throughout Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconson.

Wish me Luck! <:D>

Jeremy

Ummm..."50% off mark up at employee discount" and dealers cost (Wholesale) are not necessarily the same (cost of doing business is a factor). I wouldn't get my hopes up of scoring a pair of new RF-7's for $1000-$1200. I hope you can and if you do please let us know. 2.gif

Two things to consider are: 1) I bet the sale has to do with "in stock" items--Make sure they have the RF-7's in stock and 2) If you can get them between $1400 and $1600 you will be getting a steal!!!!!! Good luck 1.gif

If their cost structure is the same as the dealer I used to work for, expect to pay about $710 per speaker. The only thing though is that I want to say that map (minimum advertised price) on these speakers is somewhere around $850 or $900 so I'm not sure how they're pulling this sale off, but oh well.

Well, I have been on the purchasing end of several items. If klipsch product is the same and MSRP is $999.00 I would say the dealer is paying somewhere around $333 to $450. The cost of running a business is big ESPECIALLY if you are not selling thousands of an item. I was in one business and hated stocking big ticket items. My largest competitor was mail order and if I matched them I was making about 10 to 15 percent. Not enough to stay in business. So if you want the speakers and you want to keep your dealer around, buy them and be happy.

----------------

On 7/9/2005 9:21:46 AM tkdamerica wrote:

Ummm..."50% off mark up at employee discount" and dealers cost (Wholesale) are not necessarily the same (cost of doing business is a factor). I wouldn't get my hopes up of scoring a pair of new RF-7's for $1000-$1200. I hope you can and if you do please let us know.
2.gif

Two things to consider are: 1) I bet the sale has to do with "in stock" items--Make sure they have the RF-7's in stock and 2) If you can get them between $1400 and $1600 you will be getting a steal!!!!!! Good luck
1.gif

----------------

I'm not saying that dealer cost and employee price are the same, if that's what you are implying. To clerify, their employee price is cost + 1/2 of the normal mark up. I was curious if anyone knows approx dealer cost (which I understand may vary), so that I can figure what the mark up is. RF-7 $1000-dealer cost= mark up. Mark up divided by 2 + dealer cost= my price.

I can find out tomarrow, i'm just impatient and always want to be informed, and well armed when trying to make a deal. Thanx for your time,

Jeremy

----------------

On 7/9/2005 3:33:16 PM capo72 wrote:

...I can find out tomarrow, i'm just impatient and always want to be informed, and well armed when trying to make a deal. Thanx for your time,

Jeremy

----------------

You appear to be a person who goes into purchases with the same mindset as myself.2.gif

The main thing I was trying to convey is that I hope you can get them for "$550 to $600 a piece," but I find it highly unlikely. If you REALLY want 4 RF-7's be prepared to pay at least (IMO) $1400 to $1600 a pair and even at that price you will probably have to already have a good (if not great) relationship with your salesperson. You will also have a speaker system that will NEVER have to be upgraded.11.gif

The other point I was making was, make sure they have them in stock (He11, call them today and see if they are there!)--If not, I don't think they are going to give you the "Sale" price you are expecting. I hope you get the deal you are comfortable with. Please keep us informed on how it goes. The upper end Reference are truly works of Art!

----------------

On 7/9/2005 4:23:02 PM Marvel wrote:

I always hated going into American TV stores. The salesmen were like vultures, and all competed with one another.

----------------

With this information in mind, use it to your advantage! Call and talk to a salesperson today. Get their name and ask them point blank "Am I going to be able to buy 2 pairs of RF-7's from you during the sale for $1300 (or whatever you feel comfortable with)a pair? Nothing else. You don't want him to SELL you something and give advice, you want to BUY 4 RF-7's and he (or she) should be lucky you asked for them! If they can't at that price, maybe they can give you some insight on what they can sell them for.

If there are more than one American TV stores in your area, call the one that you are NOT going to first and try to get the sales person to commit (if they do, get in the car and drive). If they don't you haven't lost anything before you go into your local store to wheel and deal. 11.gif

"I always hated going into American TV stores. The salesmen were like vultures, and all competed with one another."

LOL, Randal used to work there!

When I first was a Klipsch dealer there was only 35 points in the line, later it was increased to 40 points. If you can pay the bill right away there is a 10 point prompt payment discount. Freight was extra unless you placed a very large order.

40+10 is not 50, it is 54. A $1 list is $0.54 cost, if you pay the bill promptly, and order large. If the dealer does not make at least 30 points on a regular basis he will go out of business. 30 points is $0.77 on a $1 list with 40+10, prompt payment, and qualifying for free freight.

I was at American today, too, looking at Klipsch.

I am not in the market now, but when they had their sale last year, RF-7's were about 1500/pr w/discount.

They had RF-7's, RB models, and a couple others I was not familiar with. Didn't see much for subwoofers as they had the lights way down.

I did check out their scratch and dent used stuff, and saw 3 RS-7's for $300 each and 2 RC-7's for $500 each.

good luck with your wallet !

NP - Fountains of Wayne (1996)

paying 1400 - 1600 a pair is a good deal at available at most good local dealers

List is 2200 a pair for RF7 as todd(i think) stated above

so if cost is 50%...then 1100 pair...and then allowing some profit for dealer to pay bills ...1400 is a steal...and 1600....is a great deal....