Latest Visit to Heritage Dealer (full line up of Klipsch in house)

D-MAN

Went up to the last Klipsch Heritage dealer in the state and gave the Heritage horns a good listen with one of my favorite cds.

The Khorns crank some bass, that's an undeniable fact. Solid, clean and powerful - real pant-leg-flappin' world-class bass. More than I expected! I was struck by the seamlessness of the bass-to-midrange portion of the response. It was virtually flawless. Also, the highest frequencies seemed fine with nothing missing. Overall balance was good, but the soundstage left alot to be desired.

I felt that the weakest part of the presentation was the midrange. It made a virtually flat wall of sound with no depth to it. That was disappointing to me. There could be some reasons other than the speakers themselves, I suppose, like the room dimensions and the angle that the horns sit in based on the listening position, etc. - but I expected a better soundstage regardless. What I heard was not acceptable for the asking price of approx $8K, IMO. This is just my initial opinion based on one listening experience, so bear that in mind.

I listened to the La Scala's, too. I thought that they put out more low bass than I had previously been led to believe from what I had read here on the forum. But in the upper frequency response, they were harsh, shrill and biting. I was suprized at this, I had assumed that they would sound pretty much like smaller Klipschorns, but they were entirely different animals, much more "untamed". Djk once said that they sounded like a Skil saw, and I have to agree. I thought he was exagerating! He wasn't. Another disappointment.

The Klipsch speaker that really took me in was the Heresy!

They had everything that one could hope for in such a small package. I am STILL thinking that they would make great a great addition to my HT setup. Even 2 wired side-by-side in parallel for the center channel! Or for rears...

There was a pair of large Klipsch trapazoids (1x15" with 2 ducted-ports, horn mid, horn tweeter) speakers in the showroom that looked absolutely fabulous, even in black. They were about 36" high and are theatre stuff (industrial and black with mesh-type grill), commercial looking but WOW! Might go for those, too. They listed at $2295 ea (or something relatively close) which is the main reason thay are not in my house right this minute. They are some slick-looking PA-types but are capable of fitting into an HT setup very easily, I think - I tried to find them on the Klipsch website to show you what I'm talking about, but no joy.

Very interesting visit with a few unexpected suprizes (well, THAT made sense! aren't all suprizes UNEXPECTED?!)and some dissapointments to balance it out. Your experiences may vary from mine, so take it all with a grain of salt.

DM2.gif

DM,

I have an All-Heresy HT setup with RW-12 sub and it is incredible, as you discovered. Depending on finish, you can find Heresy's for $350 to $450 a pair. You can have a terrific HT without spending a lot of $$$.

That said, the K-Horn + Cornwalls HT is even better!!9.gif

I've yet to hear Cornwalls...8.gif

But I'm thinking that the Heresy is the cat's meow, size-to-sound-wise and price. I actually couldn't believe the sound - they were shockingly good!6.gif

They were listed new in black at $549 ea. I suppose that cash talks. The salespeople are so nice there that I feel like I actually have GOT to buy something from them (even if not right today). Unbelievably nice people, and zero pressure. I can't say enough nice things about those folks.

DM2.gif

I went to a store in Savannah last week. I knew they carried Klipsch, big sign on window told me so. As soon as I walked in I was asked if I needed any help. I stated I was there to listen to some Klipsch heritage line, the guy looked and me and stated "never heard of the stuff", knowing that not everyone refers to old line as Heritage, I asked if they stocked,,,,(and I named each style), Nope........All they had was the THX. and it was all in a listening room in the back hooked up to NOTHING.

----------------

On 7/11/2005 2:58:16 PM D-MAN wrote:

I've yet to hear Cornwalls...
8.gif

But I'm thinking that the Heresy is the cat's meow, size-to-sound-wise and price. I actually couldn't believe the sound - they were shockingly good!
6.gif

They were listed new in black at $549 ea. I suppose that cash talks. The salespeople are so nice there that fell like I actually have GOT to buy something from them (even if not right today). Unbelievably nice people, and zero pressure. I can't say enough nice things about those folks.

DM
2.gif
----------------

If you liked the Heresy's wait until you hear the mighty Cornwall. 9.gif

----------------

On 7/11/2005 2:49:10 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

DM,

Thanks for the post. It is most refreshing to hear of a Klipsch dealer who's got Heritage in the house. I've missed that like heck in Little Rock.

----------------

I bought my first stereo system from Jerry at Custom Audio in Little Rock almost 30 years ago. I went by there on my last trip back and spoke with Mike Callahan who was very nice and helpful, even though he knew I wasn't going to purchase anything.

Given the fact they are mentioned in Mr. Klipsch biography and are 70 miles from the factory, I was surprised and disappointed that they didn't display ANY of the Heritage line. I am glad to see that they are up and running after the fire.

"If you liked the Heresy's wait until you hear the mighty Cornwall." - Piranha

Hmmmm....don't know about this one.

He's already heard the Mighty Khorn and didn't sound overly impressed. What makes you think he'll be awed by the Cornwall?

Oh, because he liked the Heresy...

A Heresy over a La Scala or Khorn though?? That's a first for me.

Maybe he was just put off by the asking prices of those speakers, hence him liking the cheaper Heresy, i.e. best bang for the buck.

-H2G

----------------

On 7/11/2005 5:03:00 PM heresy2guy wrote:

"If you liked the Heresy's wait until you hear the mighty Cornwall." - Piranha

Maybe he was just put off by the asking prices of those speakers, hence him liking the cheaper Heresy, i.e. best bang for the buck.

-H2G

----------------

or maybe he genuinely did not like the speakers. can't anyone have an unpopular opinion these days?

I am not without large horns so I have some understanding of what they can do, but I suppose that I expected the Khorn comparison to blow mine away, but they didn't IMO, and maybe that's what I'm disappointed about. Alot of it has to do with what I read here on the forum. Sort of a pre-disposition or set up for expectations that perhaps are not reality-based...

Being a dyed-in-the-wool horn fan, I am somewhat "allergic" to direct radiatiors, and hence my surprise at the Heresy - maybe it is a little surprise at myself too for liking them. I've read here that some think that the Heresy is a little "hot" on the top-end, but I thought they were well-balanced and full-sounding to the point that I am thinking of getting a new pair.

The dealer did have an empty (no drivers) very-old and beat up walnut (I guess) vertical Cornwall cabinet under the stairs. We talked about them for a bit. Very big cabinets. So big I don't have room for them in my current abode. I would like to hear a pair, though.

DM2.gif

It was SS stuff that I had never heard of before.

Possibly not going to show off the horns in the best light, though. However, it was fairly clean. As a matter of fact, the gear may have been the "fault", I don't know.

We also listened to the speakers at a much louder volume than I normally do at home. This also probably didn't help things. The demo room was capable of handling much more SPL than mine at home. There is actually no way for me to match the SPL's that we listened to at the demo.

That room "sucked it up", mine lets it bounce around for awhile.

DM2.gif

My last visit to the ONLY Heritage Dealer in all of Ohio was much the same. After working my way through the pot-holed, weedy, parking lot, I walk into a cluttered tiny office full of dirty and dusty old car audio parts. Was met by a guy name Butch who walked me into the "installation garage" and after moving some old car seats out of the way, was able to load the Heresys I ordered into my car.

"or maybe he genuinely did not like the speakers. can't anyone have an unpopular opinion these days?" - tofu

He can like or dislike anything he wants; I have no qualms about that at all. I was simply stating that it was odd for me to hear somebody heap more praise on a Heresy II then on a Klipschorn or a La Scala.

You're reading too far into it, like you've got an axe to grind about something, somewhere.

-H2G

Klipsch may learn a lesson or two from Bose and B & O.

(I can see the daggers raised 11.gif )

But if a company has enough clout, which I think Klipsch has, they should exert far more control in how their products are demonstrated via dealers.

B&O took matters into their own hands and set up their own stores. Bose, insits on dedicated display space in retail settings.

I'm not suggesting Klipsch do exactly the same, but its a shame that such fine speakers as the Klipschorn are not heard in a proper demo room.

Hi D-Man

I have had most of the Heritage line-up over the last 30 odd years and found that the Khorns, to be at their best, need a room that could handle them (corners and acoustic treatments)! You get that right and their is no turning back but I must say the little Heresy speakers are still hard to beat for thier size.

Good Luck

----------------

On 7/12/2005 6:42:40 AM consistent wrote:

Hi D-Man

I have had most of the Heritage line-up over the last 30 odd years and found that the Khorns, to be at their best, need a room that could handle them (corners and acoustic treatments)! You get that right and their is no turning back but I must say the little Heresy speakers are still hard to beat for thier size.

Good Luck

----------------

Yes, I guess that I expected too much and was a little too demanding or unforgiving?; it is pretty cool to go and listen to these all in one place (Heritage, Reference, and some HT) and the salespeople were extremely nice, too.

What more could you ask for?

DM2.gif