question on a dynaco st-70?

whamo

Hello all, I've been considering placing a bid on an st70 on e-bay. It says it has an auto biasing circuit, is anyone here familiar with this? I really want to get a tube set and this might be a good deal for me. I purchased my heresys from this guy awhile and he's local so I have an advantage on bidding because I can pickit up. But anyways any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's item #5788943270 Thanx

I never have much luck with ST70 mods. I usually wind up liking the original circuit better. One exception was the one Craig modded for me. That one is very good and I use it quite a bit. Personally, at $200+ I don't like the looks of this one. Someone went all "hammertone paint" on the poor thing. That doesn't mean it doesn't sound good. Fortunately for you, you can go listen to it.

As of this morning, on Audiogon alone, there are 7 listings of Dynaco ST70s.

I have personally owned 2 of them. Rebuilt (recapped and adjusted) by a pro but unmodded. IMHO - there are a lot of better sounding amps out there for not that much more money. And there are a ton of much better sounding amps for a lot more money. The point is, you will be enamored by the warm tube sound for a couple of months and then move on.

----------------

On 7/17/2005 8:38:34 AM stan krajewski wrote:

I have personally owned 2 of them. Rebuilt (recapped and adjusted) by a pro but unmodded. IMHO
----------------

I think you need to hear one modded properly to make such judgements IMHO. Once done up correctly the ST70 is one heck of a bang for the buck in sound quality.

Craig

Hello all! Thanx for all the replies and such. I think Stan hit the nail on the head with this one. I'd only be temporarily pacified with this purchase. I've dealt with this guy b4 but I probably can't go to his house and listen to it. He's an asian fellow and I think he selectively understands the english he wants to,know what I mean. There are better deals to be had out there and if I just get off my duff and sell a mess of junk I got around here on e-bay I'd have plenty of money in no time to get something nicer. The funny thing is that when I got the winning bid for the heresys on e-bay I talked to this guy on the phone. I thought to myself this is probably the guy from the computer shop. I had to meet him at mcdonalds and sure enough it was him lol. Small world aye? Why I couldn't just pick them up from his shop is beyond me. I just got excited at the thought of getting some tubes if you look at the picture you'll notice that the bias pots are completely gone. I'll keep hunting. Thanx again all 16.gif

The ST70 is a classic. I think you should be able to listen to a refurbished one for a long time, enjoy it and maybe never move on. If you do, you should be able to get most if not all of your money back!10.gif

I'm with Colin and Craig both on this one. Since I only paid $50 for my original ST-70, and then had it for close to 30 years, the money invested in the upgrades I did were well worth it. Both versions sounded great to me.

I like the new version better, as I don't have to find the 7199s. There are better quality frontend boards than what I built, but it is still a solid sounding amp. Very pleasant to listen to and use.

Whamo,

A friend of mine is selling this fully rebuilt Dynaco Stereo 70 in very nice cosmetic condition.

It has the desirable cloth lead transformers and has been fully rebuilt using a new larger, multi section, power supply capacitors(40,80,30,20 mf 525V), new 100mf bias supply caps, Sprague 716P - orange drop, film & foil caps. It has a brand new set of Sovtek EL34s and 5AR4 and original, good, US made, 7199 tubes.

He's asking $425 + shipping for it. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you his contact info.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/st70.jpg

Whamo,

A friend of mine is selling this fully rebuilt Dynaco Stereo 70 in very nice cosmetic condition.

It has the desirable cloth lead transformers and has been fully rebuilt using a new larger, multi section, power supply capacitors(40,80,30,20 mf 525V), new 100mf bias supply caps, Sprague 716P - orange drop, film & foil caps. It has a brand new set of Sovtek EL34s and 5AR4 and original, good, US made, 7199 tubes.

He's asking $425 + shipping for it. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you his contact info.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/st70.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++

A recommendation from GUY is a good thing.

A Scott 208 is no slouch either.

and...

Audiogon sellers tend to be more reputable than E Bay sellers

I am a little late on this one, so perhaps this will just help to confirm your decision, whamo. The following is an email I sent to Craig this AM concerning the ST-70 he just repaired for me.

"Enjoyed the call last evening. Got to thinking...I've had that amp since at least 1976. I've tried and tried, and can't recall how I came by it.

I was telling my wife this AM that, to a man and audio freak, amps are better than wives because you can always keep your first one even if you get another one or two...

Its first retube and checkout was at the electronics shop at Sheppard AFB, TX where it rec'd mil spec NOS tubes. It served there for over 3 years driving an old JBL 50's vintage floor standing speaker we used for screening the optical film we were shooting and editing. Can't recall if I removed those tubes before sending to Frank or not.

Anyway, after nearly 30 years in my possession, it is likely they will literally have to pry it from my cold, dead hands!

It is well worth the money just to get a "passing" from someone of your stature and experience.

Thanks again, and regards,

Dave"

Those of you on the list who have read my posts know that, for me, it's about the music, not minor variances in equipment. The ST-70 has never failed to satisfy me no matter whose kilobuck system I returned from hearing. While you may get a bit of something more for your bags of gold, I'd keep them and spend them on music unless you are just fixated on the latest and greatest.

Personally, I think you will find this acquisition the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

Dave

----------------

On 7/17/2005 9:41:51 AM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 7/17/2005 8:38:34 AM stan krajewski wrote:

I have personally owned 2 of them. Rebuilt (recapped and adjusted) by a pro but unmodded. IMHO
----------------

I think you need to hear one modded properly to make such judgements IMHO. Once done up correctly the ST70 is one heck of a bang for the buck in sound quality.

Craig

----------------

Just my "opinion" on the 2 "UNMODDED" units that I owned.

Opinions. We all have one and that's why we are here.

Hopefully, Whamo will keep the ST70 a long time. We'll see.

Hey guys, I talked to the present owner of the amplifier shown above. He was very friendly and extremely knowledgable. I'll be sending him the loot tommorrow. In the meantime I've got an awesome wallpaper of it here on my laptop and at work. Everyone at work was admiring it as well even though they didn't have a clue what it was lol. My wife was really cool about it. Little does she know I'll be searching for a pre-amp soon lol. In the meantime a friend is lending me a pre-amp and no I can't entertain any offers for a pre-amp right now, I've got to let this one blow over for now. Thanx again all.