Any Forum member in Mexico City?

----------------

On 7/17/2005 7:04:01 PM st. patrick wrote:

Hola, if any forum members live in or near Mexico city, would you please contact me? I am trying to determine if a seller is trustworthy before I send my money. thanks, you can PM me here or email patrick@mccarthykroes.com

----------------

I know some people and have relatives down there. In particular, a cousin/architect I communicate with about once or twice a year. How soon do you need this checked into?

MxCty's okay, I'd say no worse or better than any big city in the US, i.e. LA, NY, CHGO..as far as scammers or anything else like that. Just ask timmikid what he thinks about ebayer's in New Jersey, or was it NY.

Anyway, let me know.....

Patrick, I sure hope this one works out for you. I know you've been wanting a pair of MC-30's for a long while now.

Don't worry to much though, you could always buy yourself a pair of VRD's if this doesn't pan out. I believe the VRD's will even accomodate a 6L6.

----------------

On 7/17/2005 10:32:06 PM st. patrick wrote:

somewhat of an impulse buy, but I got 2 MC-30's on ebay and just trying to be cautious. Items 5788311215 and 5788311475. I asked about escrow with me paying all fees,
but the response was it would be too complicated
----------------

Major red flag. Any seller who wants to sell should not have a problem with this legitimate request.

Chris

Chris, my thoughts exactly. Also, how can he be a "powerseller" with only 124 feedbacks . . . . from reading the ebay link,I guess it is more value than volume.

So far he is responsive to email, but i am waiting for confirmable addresses.

Patrick:

I have not heard from you, give me the guys phone number, and I'll see if I can get someone to contact the guy, or maybe even go by and look at the merchandise.

I won't be able to help after this weekend since I'm going out of town for a few weeks. But if you let me know, I'll contact 2 people that I know very well, and that live in Mexico City.

Paul, things seem to be progressing slowly but surely. Currentlly awaiting shipping confirmation. After that, the next concern is that it be properly repacked if it is selected by customs for inspection, something that hadn't even occurred to me until mentioned by a forum member. It will be a learning experience, no doubt. Thanks guys, Patrick

Patrick,

Sounds good so far.

Packing is critical, no doubt.

FWIW, I've become a fan of using sheets of foam + bubble wrap for packing. Pull the tubes, wrap in foam individually, and then together in a roll of foam. Perhaps put these in a small box that can sit inside the 1st carton. Wrap the body of amp in bubble wrap and set inside a box lined with foam cut-to-fit on all sides + top and bottom. Set this box in another box that has been given the foam treatment all around. The foam is inexpensive and easy to work with. A little bit of time and patience yields a nice "custom" box for shipment. This would also give a fairly clean presentation if opened by customs. Not a lot of mess for them and easy enough/logical to put back together. Just some thoughts.

Please keep us posted and hope all goes very well.

Paul

. . . and this afternoon the UPS guy brought in a carton. I immediately noticed the rounded corners on the somewhat beat-up box, and somewhat hesitantly asked if it was from Mexico? I next asked the UPS driver, normally a good guy with whom I and my office are on first name basis, if someone had been playing football with it. "Nah, probably just whoever packed it. Looks fine to me. It was like that when it was put on the truck. See ya."

Packing was basically bubble wrap but no hard foam, not double boxed, BUT in the big scheme of things they came through sorta ok. The metal (rectifier?) tube was left in place on both . . . . but only one is still upright. The other is bent over, dented (matching the contour of the transformer cover), and looks like one of the spades(?) on the bottom is broken off. (Help me here guys, should they pull straight up, or do I have to twist counter-clockwise, or . . . .. ?)

Serial numbers 15340 and 17221.

Letter is almost 100% on both, particularly the ends.

Chrome is 8 of 10 on 15340; probably 7 of 10 on 17221.

Transformer cases are ok, but looks like someone tried to spot paint a bit; same with one of the black bases.

I had asked the seller, when removing the tubes before shipping, to give me a schematic of which tubes came from which amp. He did much "better" . . . he took a Sharpie magic marker and wrote the numbers 1-6 on the chrome of each unit and then wrote the same numbers on the tubes themselves . . . .. I think i recall someone once telling to be careful what I ask for, . . . . now i think i know what they meant . .. . . and perhaps something got lost in translation. (Help again guys, what can i SAFELY use to remove magic marker from the chrome? and from the glass on the tubes???)

Don't get me wrong, i think everything will eventually turn out ok.

Tubes?? Interesting, but I know i will be buying some more:

2 RCA 5U4 GB , also say 59EX9

2 GE 6L6 GC

1 RCA 6L6 G-blur

1 ?? 6L6 GC - bottom looks like the rca, but the 6l6gc is on the top in a white octagon

1 GE 12BH7A; the other is 12BH7A is International C, Servicemaster

1 12AU7 ECC82 matsu****a japan

1 7025/ 12AX7A japan

1 12AX7A usa

1 12AX7 usa and the white octagon again

1 ECC83 date code 2A1 ,A?H

1 5963 ? United Electron

Sorry guys, i can only type so much now. Please know that i appreciate all the emails i got wishing me well on this, and the cautionary ones as well. My next chore is to get everything cleaned up, find a tech with a variac, etc.

LOL, the 3*** in the middle of the japanese company's name was done by the forum, not me. I didn't know that would happen, but think it is hilarious, altough i understand why their software would seize upon the combination of "hit" if preceded by an "s"