Bye Bye K-Horns.......

rockbobmel

I have 4 Khorn's in a room that size (~14' X 16' X 9') and get great sound! The Khorn's are on the 16' wall with a La Scala in the center.

However, if someone showed up with 4 RF-7's, 1 RC-7, and a pair of RB-75's I may be swayed to do a swap just because I am in an apartment right now due to the housing situation here in VT.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/25/2005 2:54:13 AM ProStereo wrote:

skonopa had this to say: Hmmm.... Very, very interesting. This has to be the first time that I've seen anybody get rid of K-horns in favor of the RF-7s.

Nope, I did the same and wrote about it here some time back. I no longer have my Klipschorn's but still have my RF-7's and I'm still very satisfied with them. I still have no regrets with the move I took and have reached the pinnacle of my audio expectations and that is very amazing for this very experienced audio buff to say.

----------------

I've must've missed that one then. I did see your write-up under that one thread in the "general" section, though.

I find that very interesting, as I've heard the k-horns and did indeed find them very nice. But, I do agree, though that they are not for everyone. There is no way I could get a pair of K-horns to work in my current setup, yet the RF-7s seemed to be a match made in heaven for me. Some will say "what about the other Heritage, such as the LaScalas". The LaScalas, are also very nice, and I certainly would love to have a pair, but I am not going to run and trade in my RF-7s for them. Plus, it would be a hard fit for this room as well. This thread just goes to show that not everything will work for everyone. If you got the room and the corners to fit them, hell, yeah! The k-horns would be the way to go. But not all of use has that luxury, plus, I am certain that there are some folks that just prefer the sound of something like the RF-7s over that of the K-horn. Still, all that being said, I do have a 15 x 20 foot room in the basement, with three decent corners (the door is to close into one corner) that is pretty much going all but unused. If I can ever get up enough cash, or the right deal comes along, I'd certailly would like to try a pair of K-horns down there myself. Of course, if I got a pair, that would mean I'd want to try a tube set with them, and so forth and so on.....14.gif

I am glad that Klipsch still offers that kind of choice, though.

----------------

On 7/25/2005 12:12:48 PM Anarchist wrote:

It really does scare me reading some of these posts. The room I have to put the Khorns in is fairly small - not sure of the exact dimensions but I will guess 12*17 and has some architectural particulars I am not sure will work out. Of course, this has caused me to opine my basement might need to be done sooner and a dedicated home theater room AND a two channel room done or the Khorns will need to go - which is, of course, my last resort. They might gather dust rather than just get rid of them.

----------------

Mine are 18" apart and I have only 11" depth. They sound amazing. You should be in business!

2.gif

----------------

On 7/25/2005 12:12:48 PM Anarchist wrote:

It really does scare me reading some of these posts. The room I have to put the Khorns in is fairly small - not sure of the exact dimensions but I will guess 12*17 and has some architectural particulars I am not sure will work out. Of course, this has caused me to opine my basement might need to be done sooner and a dedicated home theater room AND a two channel room done or the Khorns will need to go - which is, of course, my last resort. They might gather dust rather than just get rid of them.

----------------

Why should it scare you??? Think of it this way...... I bought the horns from a guy that wanted something smaller. I thouight they were the end all.....But, found them to not work for me either. I sold them to a guy that was tickled to buy them. Now he is happier than I was with the horns, I am happier with the 7s, there is no down side here... The K-Horns are not for everyone!!!!......

I love my 7s. I love my 7s. I love my 7s.

So does everybody that hears them. I'm not a hobby type of guy. I buy stuff, tweek a bit, make my bed and lie in it. I'm not into adjusting all the time... with stereo, boats, guns, women... everything I own.

Sketched out my room last night and it is indeed 12' x 17'6". I will be closing in a doorway while remodeling. That gives me the opportunity to place the Khorns on the long wall or the short wall. A nice reclining couch would be on the opposing wall. My guess is they would be best on the long wall and the couch would sit directly in the middle of them 12 ft across. Thoughts? Should be near the sweet spot right?

PS. I could live with RF7's but lets be honest, they don't come close to being as aesthetically pleasing as the Khorns... Hmmm... walnut oil wood or cheap plastic grills - 'course, some prefer redheads.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 3:52:57 PM Anarchist wrote:

Sketched out my room last night and it is indeed 12' x 17'6". I will be closing in a doorway while remodeling. That gives me the opportunity to place the Khorns on the long wall or the short wall. A nice reclining couch would be on the opposing wall. My guess is they would be best on the long wall and the couch would sit directly in the middle of them 12 ft across. Thoughts? Should be near the sweet spot right?

PS. I could live with RF7's but lets be honest, they don't come close to being as aesthetically pleasing as the Khorns... Hmmm... walnut oil wood or cheap plastic grills - 'course, some prefer redheads.

----------------

My Khorns are about 19' apart in a room just shy of 13' deep. The seating position is near the head of a couch about 11' from the front wall. You should have no problems.

The left side of my room opens into an 8' wide stairway with a landing halfway up even with the top of the speaker.

Rick

I havent done the lead shot in the bottom of the RF7's but have recently thought about relaminating the 5 sides with 3/4" of solid wood or a different veneer.

I must say just "thinking" about covering the beautiful fine cherry finish would be a hurdle.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 5:06:35 PM jpm wrote:

----------------

On 7/26/2005 4:43:08 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Did anyone ever try putting a bag or two of lead shot in the bottom of their RF-7s?

Rick

I'm curious, what would that accomplish?

----------------

----------------

I was just thinking out loud.

The shot would add mass down low possibly improving the coupling to the floor. It could also convert any cabinet vibrations in that area to heat by way of friction between the shot. Even though heavy, shot is mostly air, it would not upset the internal volume any more than a similar weight block of solid lead bar stock.

Rick

===============================================================

===============================================================

Well, that will only be in each eye of the behold! I think both look very nice. My Mom threw a fit when I had Klipshorn's and said they were too big, too ugly, too outdated looking. When my girl-friend agree with my Mom (when I used to have a girl-friend) I wasnt too happy with her anymore for that. Girls like the RF-7 better, and guyz like Klipschorn for sure, and the RF-7 of how they are here. I like both designs. I dont have a BIG room that is needed with Klipschorn, maybe one day?

----------------

On 7/27/2005 5:36:42 PM KlipsDude wrote:

When my girl-friend agree with my Mom (when I used to have a girl-friend) I wasnt too happy with her anymore for that.

----------------

I applaud your decision to fire your girlfriend for that, but it's a bit hard to sack your Mother! 2.gif

Yea, a girl-friend is supposed to stand by you, not go against me and side with my Mom!

If she told me later that and not in front of my Mom, I would respect her a whole lots more, but not side with my Mom in front of me like that cause then it makes my Mom really work on me more.

15.gif

anyways, I quickly figured out how she was, every time I would see her she wanted to know wheres i was taking her to eat, and then the mall to shop some clothes and shoes for her, she would take so long trying things on, i really hated it, and it was getting too expensive for me to do that, whens i told her we are going to start spending some time together doing some free things, she was always too busy to see me and never wanted to see me anymore. Its ok though, she may haves been really pretty but she was empty on the inside. Just tooks me a while to learn that. 15.gif