Scarf'ed Up 2 More MC60's, Now I Really Do Need To Breakdown & Get A CD Player

Gilbert

A few weeks ago I visited with my buddy that owns "Speakerworks". I initially left the house to drool over that fabulous stash of McIntosh and Marantz gear he has....and to listen to his great story's. He really is a cool guy. Anyway, while I was there I made a cashola offer on the lone MC60 he had...it's been there for months and months, and he accepted. Whahooo!!! triplets.

The amp was promptly shipped off to Craig for another MC60 overhaul, and I included my C22 for some serious TLC. I suspect the C22 will be a challenge, it is pretty rough sonically....

Then....lo and behold, another lone MC60 shows up on ebay. I waited it out until the end, only to get outbid. After that auction, I was bombarded with second chance offers. But this one particular offer that popped up...seemed legit, and it looks like I've got yet another mc60 from another second chance offer.

I haven't paid for it yet, because I want to talk to the seller, and verbally confirm the offer tomorrow. I am still skeptical, but it looked like the real deal. Luckily this unit is located in Craigs' backyard. If the deal is real, it'll go straight to his shop for some mac matching.

Geeze, I don't know what's come over me, but I just love that tube sound. There's just no going back to SS for me. Even that used luxman stuff I recently picked up may go to ebay, now that I've aquired another pair of 60's.

Now I need to find another Tuner, and most importantly, I have to break down and get a decent CD player. Anyone have recommendations for a CD player worthy of matching up with some vintage tube gear. I like some of the stuff Smilin turned me on to, but that gear is too expensive for my blood. $4grand for a CD player is just too rich for my wallet and ears at this point in time. Anyway, if you have some opinions on CD players, please let me hear'em. Thanks.

4 MC-60's! Sounds like you're doing great on the amp front. It was a stretch for me getting one MC-240 and an MX-110 - but I love'em! S/S - even very good S/S - just doesn't sound the same after some good tubes. I haven't delved into the hi line CD players yet but have kept my eyes open when people were talking about them as someday I would like to get one too. You might want to take a look at the Jolida JD100 or Njoe Tjoeb which are both tube cd players which can be had for $1000 or less depending on how many mods have been done.

Enjoy your Mcs!

i can definately second the reccomendation for the jolida jd-100 cd player (Tubes) sounds simply awsome, i have read alot of articles on the tojoeb and the shanling 100 model and both are supposed to be awsome as well the shanling wins in the looks department hands down (can find a used one near 1000, i bought my jolida for 750.00 with NOS tubes for 750 and am very happy with it10.gif Joe

Be careful with those second chance offers!!! I usually get 4 or 5 for every auction that I am not the high bidder on. NOT ONE has been from the seller of the original item. I cannot imagine what eBay was thinking when they decided to officially promote this practice. IME it has been nothing but an open invitation to fraud.

Wow, that shanling is drop dead gorgeous. The fact that it is Chineese designed and built initially turned me cold, but there are some impressive reviews for this player. Certainly one to consider on looks alone. I'll do some research, but both the wife and I agree. It's time to get a CD player.

But wait, there's more...

----------------

On 7/23/2005 4:56:33 PM DeanG wrote:

you need a new set of networks

Trying out the Jedi Mind-trick.
----------------

Ooooooph!... what's happening to me....I feel this strange, yet clean capacitive force pulling me uncontrolably deeper into the dark side. My mind is going numb (so my wife says), my wallet is bare, and feeling ever lighter..... OooooWeeee! Someone help Me!!

Help me...

Help me...

Help me start a "DeanG Filters for Gilbert fund drive. Donatations in the form a cash, and loose coinage accepted. No offer too small, or too large. 2.gif

Hey Gilbert, next time your in your buddy's shop ask him how much he wants for a pair of MC40's I think he had a pair in there. Even an MC240 or MC275 would be nice as well. I would really like to try some tubes at some point.

I would use them to drive my mains so I can run them in 2-channel mode if so desired. I am really interested to see how they would sound but I don't think 30W/Channel would be enough for my tastes hence the MC40's or MC275.

At least you can inspect the gear first hand since you are local. Good luck on the other MC-60, two sets, man o' man.

----------------

On 7/22/2005 8:16:32 PM Gilbert wrote:

Now I need to find another Tuner, and most importantly, I have to break down and get a decent CD player. Anyone have recommendations for a CD player worthy of matching up with some vintage tube gear. I like some of the stuff Smilin turned me on to, but that gear is too expensive for my blood. $4grand for a CD player is just too rich for my wallet and ears at this point in time. Anyway, if you have some opinions on CD players, please let me hear'em. Thanks.

----------------

How about a Benchmark DAC-1, and a PC as a transport?

Copy and paste this - review on a modded Jolida JD100 from a few years back:

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/6moonsjd100.html

The stock Jolida is a very good player, and I recommend it. However, if you don't mind spending about $1200 (compared to $700-900 for a stock one), the modded version should give increased dynamics, tighter bass and an overall smoother response (versus a stock one). As one crossover guru (guess which one??) is fond of saying, the quality of parts does matter!!! I run Mullard CV 4004 NOS in my modded Jolida, and it runs some decent vintage amps in my system (Marantz 8B, Dynaco Mk III, and Dynaco Stereo 70) as well as a Rotel 1080 solid state - if I'm in the mood - all off of a Peach preamp. After my modded Jolida burned in, my search for great-sounding yet affordably-priced CDPs ended.

The Ah! with upsampling is also an excellent choice. The upsampling option would be a plus, yet I yet to hear any lack of detail present with the modded Jolida and my three Belles (and rear Altecs).

Carl.

P.S. An option such as a Benchmark DAC-1 and a PC might also not be a bad idea, but it depends on what you want. In most Heritage systems, however, I liken a Benchmark DAC-1/PC combo to be somewhat similar to the Cairn discussed in the review - as far as the approach. However, only your individual taste and ears can decide for sure.

I agree with what your saying. And right now I'm leaning toward the 4000 Reference Series AH!. With the dollar gaining ground on the EURO, it is currently almost $1600 (Bur Brown Operational Amplifiers, OPA627) don't know anything about that option yet, but I'll look into it. Or...I may consider their Ulta 4000 and save around $300.

But the looks of the shanling, are pulling me hard (BUT MADE IN CHINA???).....I really enjoy just looking at that thing. But from my research thus far, it seems that AH! has'em all beat.

Everything I've ever owned that was made in China was crap.

I've got the original 4000 with no upsampler (but Siemens 7308 tubes) and it's a SA-WEET deck. It ain't pretty, but it sure sounds pretty......major improvement to that system to be sure......much more fluid and transparent than all other models used. I want to get the upsampler, too.

I plugged in the Rega Planet (a nice deck in it's own right), and on that tube McIntosh system, the Ah! 4000 beat the Rega pretty handily.

Tube CD is one of the best "updates" to hit the audio world in a while. I'm sure sold on 'em.

The Ah! should serve Gilbert well. I'm a big fan of all the tubed-CDPs, each one has a distinct sound but all share a pretty common approach.

Yes, fluid and transparent....those are the terms I was looking for.

I also agree about the difference between tubed-CDPs and other decks. I have run a Rega Planet at well as some other decks, but the tubed-CD sound especially compliments horns (in addition to other tubes in your system). One day for kicks, I started playing CDs back through my Denon. I felt like I had lost a friend. Returned very quickly back to the Jolida sound.

Another nice thing about a tubed-CD player is that you can do wonders with solid state amps and Heritage. For truly blaring levels, I now run my Rotel 200 watt solid state amp (along with my Peach) with my Belles as a nice alternative to my Marantz 8B when I want to shake things loose. A tubed-CD player helps you do that with certain solid state.

Carl.