Bose Wave Radio ad targets jazz fans

Parrot

I'd guess that Paul Harvey appeals to a whole different demographic than Herbie Hancock. It looks like Bose has different bases covered. There's gotta be more advertising dollars associated with each unit sold than manufacturing costs.

Okay I guess I understand a bunch of people who really take their music seriously making light of those who buy into the Bose marketing machine.

But I remember a time not all that long ago when I listened to a little pocket transistor radio because that's all I had. Then I got a Sears stereo that was plastic and had detachable speakers and I thought I was in heaven. Music is wonderful and I would venture a guess that the majority of people world wide who listen to music do so a "Systems" that would be VERY easy to make fun of.

People like those who frequent this board are a VERY VERY small percentage and I believe we should look at ourselves as lucky.

If someone finds pleasure in their Bose wave radio I am happy for them.

Flame away,

Regards,

Bill Woodward

Bill, I would agree with you that, amongst most of us here, there was some sort of forward progression in our ability to disern (sp?) "good", "better" and "best" products over time. Mostly by what we have been exposed to up until that point in time and more so with what we have owned or lived with.

Bose, however, has been preaching the same proven falicies for over 30 years and still is hell bent on sounding like some government elitist "telling" you it's the best you've ever heard.

Dr. Bose didn't/doesn't know any more about the physics of audio than (place famous audio name here). He didn't discover anything new about design that made his product sound better than anyone elses; he just kept telling people he did.

I'm not flaming you...I just can't stand that Bose actually employs lying (brainwashing) to people until they buy. Sounds like a classic used car salesman wearing a white belt and white shoes with heels.

"Bose once held a Wave Radio demonstration in Boston's South Station, an enormous vaulted complex that is exactly as majestic as a major city's central train station should be.

The radio which is a little longer than a foot filled the main part of the station with sound. The demonstrator was actually asked to turn it down."

Maybe ...

1) A Klipsch owner was present

2) It sounded like crap

3) The Sex Pistols did not agree with someone's hangover

I saw the stupid Bose Wave Radio commericals they put on at night, they how wonderful it is and it's NOWS BUTTONLESS, the all new buttonless Wave Radio, and works with the supplied credit card remote. Like WOW, I'm supposed to get all excited it doesnts have buttons. That means I have to hunt for the remote each time I need to change somethin, if I'm right by the unit. Feature my a**, that stupid buttonless was a way of cheapen it out for more profits and same price as when it had buttons. Bose can keep their over-priced buttonless wave radio, I aints buyin it, nor fall for their commerical hype. I once gots stuck buying the Bose 901 and they sure the hecks never sounded like a Klipsch, was a big waste of money when I should have gots the Klipsch from the starts! I'll get a Klipsch anything, over a Bose anything, anys days of the years.

----------------

On 7/25/2005 8:25:17 PM 126mhz wrote:

Okay I guess I understand a bunch of people who really take their music seriously making light of those who buy into the Bose marketing machine.

But I remember a time not all that long ago when I listened to a little pocket transistor radio because that's all I had. Then I got a Sears stereo that was plastic and had detachable speakers and I thought I was in heaven. Music is wonderful and I would venture a guess that the majority of people world wide who listen to music do so a "Systems" that would be VERY easy to make fun of.

People like those who frequent this board are a VERY VERY small percentage and I believe we should look at ourselves as lucky.

If someone finds pleasure in their Bose wave radio I am happy for them.

Flame away,

Regards,

Bill Woodward

----------------

No flames here.

I have no problem with people if all they are using is "lo-fi" equipment. If that is what they are happy with, and don't see the point in spending the kind of money that is typical in hi-end audio, then so be it. Hell, for most people, thier best audio system is often the one that came in thier cars, especially if they are driving any of the better "luxury" vehicles.

The problem I have with Bose is that the way the charge was is essentially high-end prices for low-end audio. And then they hype it up like there is absolutly nothing out there that can even touch it!

Now, take typical Joe Sixpack and wife coming into the local Best Buy, looking for a home theater setup to go with the nice fancy high-def big/wide-screen TV that they just got the week before. They go look at any number of HTiB packages arrayed hap-hazardly on the shelfs. None of them are setup anywhere near the way they should be. And, of course, it is unlikely that Joe would have any material on him to try out on the units, thus the only way to listen to them is to use the FM tuner to pick up the one and only crappy station that can be recieved inside the building. Good luck getting that snot-nosed teenager that is only interested in making enough money working there so he can get himself an iPod on employee discount, to help out. Admittedly, there are exceptions to this, but my own personal experience sees to bear this out in general. To Joe, yeah, they sound better than the speakers that come with the TV.

Now, he and his wife moves to the slick Bose kiosk, displaying the latest gee-whiz LifeStyle system, with everything so carefully setup and positioned. Wow, look how small they are, says the wife. They press one of the button on the remote and the canned demo starts! Ohh, wow, this sounds pretty darn good, and look how small it is (compared to the junk they have been listening to earlier, such as that crappy little $200 Aiwa system)! But wow! Look at that price! $4,000! For that much, it just has to be good! But of course, $4K is a bit steep for Joe Sixpack, but they are convinced this has to be "it"!

I know, because I've been there several years ago (after buying a brand new 32-inch TV, I was jonesing for some surround-sound) I remember going into the Best Buy to look at those HTiB setups. Of course, I've never thought of bringing in any CD's, and the kid that was "helping" me did not have any either. I looked at the Bose, but it was way more than I was willing to spend at the time, plus, even at that time, I was not really that impressed with it, considering the asking price. And I was in the mind-set that I wanted some "real" speakers, not thos stupid little cubes.

In the end, I ended up getting a Yamaha setup, and then ordering some Infinity towers through Crutchfield. That was the system I had for nearly 6 years until I upgraded to my current Klipsch setup. It was actually a pretty decent setup for the time (and way better than most people had). I still got the Infinity towers and the Yamaha reciever in my bedroom, hooked up to my 13-year old Sharp CD player. Total cost of that setup was around $1,500, and it sounded way better than the Bose did.

As for the $500 Wave radio (friggan $1200 for the "big" one), again, with the slick advertising, and with a price tag like that, people just think it has to be good! I mean, look at really "sophistacted" people in the commercial that has one. Those people must be making some real money and probably could get anything they want audiowise, but they have a Bose Wave radio!

With just the tiniest amount of research, there are many, many options out there that are just as good, more likely, better, than Bose, but for a fraction of the asking price. We may be a small percantage that has these "high-end" systems, but for the kind of money that Bose charge for thier gear, many of these systems shown and talked about on this board can be had, often for a fraction of what Bose wants.

That all being said, my own parents has the CD version of the Bose Wave, thus I did get to play with it. My own impressions. It does indeed sound good, but like just about anything Bose, for the price, I was expecting a whole lot more. The Tivoli Audio Model Two radio I got in my office, in my opinion, sounded better, but at half the price (although Tivoli's matching CD player is a bit steep at $200, thus I use my PC as the source for CD as well as MP3 playback).

I just don't like Bose. Their equipment is way overpriced for what you get. Thier marketing is obnoxious (after all, I have not seen any other speaker company have advertising placards on the friggan subway, for example! Also, in a recent issue of Sound and Vision, I've counted no less than six ads scattered through the magazine, including on the back cover! In comparison, I've seen only one Klipsch ad.). And thier corporate attitude is arragant. Suing CEDIA over the use of the word "lifestyle" for crying out loud! Not to mention suing magazines over unfavorable reviews.

I will do everything within my power to convince people to not buy Bose, or at the very least, convince them to at least listen to the other brands.

As an aside, I've also notice that Yamaha seems to be taking a page from Bose, as they are starting to setup thier own listening kiosks for thier systems. Not only that, I've also seen Yamaha starting to put XM radio in thier recievers (what is the likelyhood of seeing Bose do that anytime soon?) I've listened to one of those Yamaha setups and it actually sounded pretty good, considering the system was around $800 or so, complete. Compared to the $4000 Bose Lifestyle system - I'll take the Yamaha. Or better yet, I'll stick with my Klipsch.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 11:49:26 PM skonopa wrote:

I've also seen Yamaha starting to put XM radio in thier recievers (what is the likelyhood of seeing Bose do that anytime soon?)

----------------

Yea, and if they do it will just be able to tune in ONE station, "WBOZ FM" and have no on/off button anywhere.

My complaint with Bose is the same expressed by many others. Bose markets image/form over performance/subtance. Sure people can enjoy music from their Bose--whatever--, but they do so at a price that is IMHO inflated. This comes from someone who owned and loved 901s prior to getting four Speakerlab SKs in the 70s.

Bose reminds me of "House Brand" speakers.

When I got married in 1982 my wife brought to the mariage a stereo system that she'd purchased ten years earlier from Pacific Stereo in Chicago, and which she'd enjoyed without reservation. It was a modest Scott receiver and Garrard turntable--not high end audio by any stretch of the imagination, but WAY better than the "House Brand" speakers. included in the package.

Most clock radios have better speakers. The enclosures were a joke, the crossover from the cheap 6" woofer to the crummy cone "tweer" was a single cheap capacitor. Even mediocre speakers would have sounded much better, but that would have cut into Pacific Stereo's margin. IMHO Bose is similarly overpriced, but I will fight to the death to preserve every American's right to pay too much to enjoy their music on the equipment of their choice.

About a year ago I watched (with horror) Herbie Hancock do an infomercial for The Bose Wave Radio. He was in a sterile looking room and toward the end he says, "and here's a little number I call Watermelon Man." He played a 30 second version of his most famous song and it was over.

Forgot all about it until this thread. Thanks a lot for reminding me.14.gif

Focused musical taste: The commercial is clear: Things you might listen to on your Bose Wave radio include serious jazz, classical music, "rock and roll" (one mention) and NPR. Things you implicitly WON'T listen to include hip-hop, techno, indie rock and any form of music actively pioneered after 1960.

The infomercial bears down on its target demographic like a laser. Well-educated, affluent suburban whites like jazz music. They actively enjoy nice, safe, Herbie Hancock. They like nuance. They don't like hearing about gauche little things like the price of the item they're about to buy.

===========================================

hahahahahaha

Gotta love a site that tells us the inside truth in advertising!! Paul, what a gem, I am loving the other stuff I am reading too!

----------------

On 7/27/2005 12:32:23 AM mike stehr wrote:

"Yea, and if they do it will just be able to tune in ONE station, "WBOZ FM" and have no on/off button anywhere."

And it plays Ashley Simpson 24/7.

----------------

Well, Check this out! There actually is a WBOZ FM! It is on 104.9 out of Woodbury, TN (Nashville area). According to Wikipedia, it is simulcast with WVRY-FM on 105.1! Their format is southern gospel music though, so unlikely to hear Ashley Simpson on there.