Another poor soul goes Bose...

chuckears

My wife brought home a sad, yet familiar story regarding a fellow at her place of employment, and his recent HT purchases:

It seems that he was having trouble with audible sound from his new HT speakers (Bose, as it turns out; no idea on what model). He ended up going to an AV repair shop near my house to find out what was the matter, and he was apparantly told that he needed a 5-channel amp, because they were not receiving enough power. I did not speak to this guy myself, so I don't know how he was trying to power his new high-priced kid's toys; I haven't looked at Bose HTIB systems for several years, but my assumption is that he either did not have it set up properly, or the sound he was getting was from a woefully underpowered Bose receiver (further complicated by the no-doubt woefully inefficient Bose speakers).

The tech guy who was helping him also convinced him that he needed fatter speaker cable to get better sound, and sold him some MonsterCable, which my wife saw, and confirmed to be a pretty large-guage wire. Another of my wife's co-workers attempted to draw her out about my setup, and the fact that I have a total of seven speakers now (5.2), and how I am always messing with some little tweak or upgrade. My wife did not offer a great deal of info (partially because she is still intimidated by our whole set-up, and is pretty lucky if she can watch a movie herself with surround, and partially because she hated to let slip that the fellow in question was making some very unfortunate decisions).

The gentleman with the weak-sounding Bose has, I am quite certain, the salary to buy something decent, yet once again he has been mis-informed either by the Bose marketing machine, or by some unforgivable chain-store salesperson, or both. If these people actually knew how to use the internet, and were directed toward decent and informative sites, and were further driven to seek out better solutions, then they would hopefully not make such regrettable decisions.

...Or he could have just asked me 2.gif

I get people at my own work who, after I tell them I have Klipsch speakers, get a blank expression and have no further comment, because they have heard of maybe three or four brands of speakers, Klipsch not being one of them, and nearly always think that Bose is the best you can buy.

If people could only hear what their ears are missing; it costs a bit, both in money and time, but my family thinks it is well worth it, as we enjoy films at least four times a week with sound that rivals most of the local cinemas, and in the comfort of our own home. I wish there were some way to catch these people before they make these kinds of decisions, but I don't think that it is possible; most of these purchasing decisions made by middle-aged adult males are going to suffer from the same mental lapse that does not allow us to ask for directions when we don't know how to get where we're going...

----------------

On 7/26/2005 8:20:55 AM chuckears wrote:

...I get people at my own work who, after I tell them I have Klipsch speakers, get a blank expression and have no further comment, because they have heard of maybe three or four brands of speakers, Klipsch not being one of them, and nearly always think that Bose is the best you can buy...

----------------

Same story--different person 14.gif Gotta hand it to those Bose marketing guys though 4.gif

What great troubleshooting advice - no sound, or barely audible sound from speakers MUST mean one needs a larger amplifier and larger gauge wire. 2.gif Especially since if its Bose, the whole thing is a bundled system with matched speakers, wire, blah blah blah.

Even the most hideously inefficient speakers I could conceive should push at least 70-75 Db for a one watt input.

My fiencee works with a guy who was very excited to get his bose. He told her that he finally saved up enough money and just got his bose surround system to go with his proj. tv. She looked him straight face and said she was sorry. He was very confused when she said that and asked why. She just told him that he probably paid too much money for sub-par speakers, but if he was happy with them great. He wanted to know what we had at home and she told him that growing up her dad had B&W's (801's) and we have Klipsch reference line (35's). She said he was puzzled at the name, and then said that neither be better than bose because they are the best speakers out there. I guess she just chuckled and left him to his wonderful bose. Again the bose marketing is awesome.

Unfortunately most bose people that I know just cannot understand what the have bought into. We have the 35 series all around rf, rs, rc, and an rsw-15. My uncle who owns bose (think he got them for free so it may be understandable) and a velodyne cht-10 was over listening to my system. I turned it up, not super loud because I'm not sure how much my reciever can push (pioneer vsx-d811s). First thing he said was his went louder, then he said his bass hit harder. At that point I realized arguing was futile, he was set that his bose was better... i tried to show him the light, but he enjoy's the closet.

My mother's friend is the same way (although she has never been over).... "oh our bose get so loud in our house, we are going to get them put in as a whole house system"

I wanna cry when I hear people talk like that. I don't claim to be an audiophile, nor do I claim to hear exceptionally well. I can however tell when something doesn't sound "right" and I have yet to hear anything by bose that sounds "right"

The truth is that most people don't have any idea what music really sounds like. Unless you've heard it live and unamplified, you're hearing at least SOME distortion. E.g., when their car radio, boombox, etc. plays loud, they get, say, 30% distortion; if they don't hear the 30% distortion, then it doesn't seem loud.

I'm not even going to reply to this thread. It is a waste of time as it takes too much energy to explain why Bose sounds better to the average person. But, the answer is distortion!

Oh heck, I have to reply. I should shoot myself for doing this. In a quick 1 minute answer, they are used to hearing the Bose Bass Module vibrating and compressing so bad with massive distortion that is sounds like it is really working hard to play loud. Then they hear a real sub and it doesn't have any of the vibrating internal sounds etc. So, therefor, it is not as "loud". Also, if you turn up the cubes to LOUD, believe me, they will sound LOUD! Klipschoholics would call that "screeching". So, to the ignorant masses, it is VERY LOUD. To the audiophile, it is just a system straining its guts out to produce sound. But, they do have the motto, "Better sound through research". Klipsch should do the "Better Sound by Design" if it is not already taken.

I now have to get off of this topic as my blood pressure medicine only works for so long.......Bose has awesome marketing, period. They are the best at it by a long shot.

Oh, I forgot to mention an Audio study that came out last week. Seems that people who commit suicide usually own Bose equipment. The University research dept. is now looking for a causual link......all they really have to do is ask a Klipsch owner! 9.gif

Well, I am hoping to convert someone the other direction. We are having a back to school BBQ and I am going to pull the LaScalas out into the yard for a DVD concert. (Have not decided on group yet, it will be kids and adults) Anyway, a co worker's husband just carries on so about his Bose and has her convinced they are the best. I just smile. I sent a little note with her invite and told her to be prepared for her husband wanting to spend some money.

I have heard $250 onkyo home theater in a box (receiver included) that sounds better than $1300 bose systems. Go figure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I live my life one quarter mile at a time."

"That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

On 7/26/2005 8:20:55 AM chuckears wrote:

.......I wish there were some way to catch these people before they make these kinds of decisions, but I don't think that it is possible; most of these purchasing decisions made by middle-aged adult males are going to suffer from the same mental lapse that does not allow us to ask for directions when we don't know how to get where we're going...

----------------

If this person has kids, ya gotta get to the kids....quick. It may be the only way to break this train of thought.

JBR

---------------------------

oldtimer posted:

"..I have heard $250 onkyo home theater in a box (receiver included) that sounds better than $1300 bose systems. Go figure.."

---------------------------

That is no surprise to me since even the little $140 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers that I hooked up to my old home pc sound better then a friends blose acumass . . .

sorry to jump in late here, but I'm working with a guy right now who is building a new house and asked for my help in setting up his Media Rm. and whole house audio. He currently has a Bose surround system and was looking at buying a new one for the Media Rm. I told him he owed it to himself to at least look at other systems that are available. He left on vacation and when he came back he said that he had stopped at the Bose store near where they had been and that he had listened to their top of the line system. I thought he was going to tell me that he bought one. But he said he felt he could get more for less money ($3800 for the Bose) by going anaother direction. The next weekend BB had a sale on a Yamaha/Klipsch system (the HTR-5860 and Synergy SLX system) which he went and listened to. He bought them on the spot. He even upgraded to the HTR 5890 (more power and a 3rd zone) and bought the KSW 12 instead of the 10. He couldn't wait to set it all up in his new media rm which still won't be ready for several months so he hooked it up at his current home. He is extremely excited about this new system because it sounds SOOOOOO much better than his Bose system he can't wait to get the new house done! Every time we talk he mentions how much better this new system is over his old one. I know it's not the Reference THX series but he's happy and he didn't buy Bose again. Score one for the home team!!

I have a Bose AM-10 HTIB set forever. After I discovered Klipsch, for kicks, I had both the Klipsch and the Bose hooked up to the same receiver, as Speaker A and B mode. That type of demo convinced all my friends, who were all bose believers, that klipsch was better.

After we moved into our new house, I no longer had the bose hooked up, and just the klipsch. When my parents had a house warming party, all these indian people came over and were like "meh.... these speakers are nothing compared to bose... bose is the best, have you heard bose?" These same people had all heard bose at my house before, but didnt get the A/B demo, but they still insisted bose was better. Perhaps its indian pride or something that fuels all to most unenlightened indians to champion bose, because bose is indian. I dont know, in any case i have learned its impossible to argue with people who are so entrentched in their views. I just dont argue and thank god i found out the truth.

I did the same thing and have an attick of decent but not great

audio some clown who knew nothing sold me. I was at Circuit City

and told a young lady in front of the salesman the floormodle 1,000.00 system she was buying wasn't what she wanted and told her

to add 500 and sent her to a better store.

It's a debilitating illness, Boseism. A good long time buddy of mine, who is a real music collector, recently did his 3 story condo in all Bose (and it's wireless! woohoo) with massive plasma screen in main room. BOOM BOOM BOOM, screech is all I hear. Sold Altec Model 9's and Advents to do it.

Same guy sold his beautiful collection of 1000's of rock LP's for pennies on the dollar and didn't even ask me.

I'm going to miss him. I just can't go round there any more...

Michael

Every corners of the world, same old story. Now when someone tells me that man, you should have got some bose man, i just reply, "yeah mate, but i can't afford bose, they are too high class for me"9.gif May be you should get it dude, they are just incredible.4.gif

BOOM BOOM BOOM, screaeeeeeechhh... well many people like that, just like many people like magic, and John Edwards.... and only some are audiophiles.