All Cornwall HT Demo 7/31/05 in Plano , TX

eq_shadimar

This has been posted and discussed in the DFW Hornheads Yahoo group but I am posting it here as well in case there are people interested who are not a member of that group. The members of the Yahoo group that responded said that this Sunday 7/31/05 would owrk best for them. Here is part of my post to the Yahoo Group:

I will keep the enitre day open so lets just say that you guys are free to come over from 1 PM until 11PM. That should give us plenty of time to listen to everything.

If you guys could to post the approximate times that you will be over that would be helpful as well. That way people who want some serious listening time with their own material can stagger their arrival. I think it would also be helpful if you guys post the demo material that you will be bringing.

It will be BYOB but I will have munchies available along with iced tea and water, I also plan to cook up some burgers if anyone is still around at dinnertime.

If anyone from the Klipsch forum is interested please send me a private message through the forum or join and post in the Yahoo group.

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

On 7/26/2005 12:17:56 PM tkdamerica wrote:

Jeff,

Thanks for having this Event at your house. I look forward to it and will post on the "DFW hornheads" when I will make my appearance.
2.gif

----------------

No problem. Think of it as IOU for a listening session with your RF-7 system 1.gif

Laters,

Jeff

That's just great,I lived in Plano(just off Parker rd)for several years back in the 80's,now I'm too far away.Sounds like an event I'd like to hear,I miss lake Lavon and Lakeway brisket.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 1:21:28 PM Fish wrote:

That's just great,I lived in Plano(just off Parker rd)for several years back in the 80's,now I'm too far away.Sounds like an event I'd like to hear,I miss lake Lavon and Lakeway brisket.
----------------

Sorry to hear that. I have nice bed in a spare room if you want to do a sleepover. So now you have to think..how bad do I really want to hear that system 1.gif

Laters,

Jeff

----------------

On 7/26/2005 10:52:05 PM popbumper wrote:

Jeff's system is a MUST visit for anyone local to the DFW area. I visited his polace once, and it was REALLY something. Maybe that's why I am going crazy building Cornwall cabs now...;>).

Chris
----------------

You are coming over this time right?

Laters,

Jeff

Jeff,I thank you for your very hospitable offer to me and other members,unfortunately for me its not possible as I have previous commitments.It does remind me why I loved Texas so much,some of the BEST people I've ever known reside there.Hope y'all have a great time.

Yesterday I was fortunate to be able to audition eq shadimar's (aka Jeff) 5.1 all Cornwall "Javabean Multi-media experience, "Home Theater. (Technically it could be labeled a 5.3 since he has 3 huge SVS subs hooked up as well, but who is counting 2.gif). I am always comparing other Home Theaters to mine, and right off the bat I could tell that Jeff had tried to stack the deck by making the some of the BEST cheeseburgers I have ever had. If that wasn't enough, he made chocolate chip cookies, which put me in a favorable mindset to write this synopsis.

Jeff was also nice enough to let me play some media that I wanted to hear on his Cornwall system. To start off the afternoon we listened to a 2 channel Jazz recording that fellow DFW Hornhead and Klipsch forum member "Tommy C" brought. It had a nice sound to it but I am not a 2 channel fan as much as I am a multi channel person. If Tommy wishes to comment it would be more appropriate than myself since I had not heard the recording beforeI wanted to hear those other 3 Cornys with those 3 subs do their stuff.

I also don't listen to much classical music (i.e., I purchased the "1812 Overture" SACD to listen to the cannons but that was the only cut that got played more than once on the disk at home) but I was told by other more experienced people at this get together it was probably my selection of composers. We then listened to a fugue by Bach (if I am wrong please correct me) and that was when Jeff's Cornwalls came alive! I was amazed at how the 2 vocals seemingly came out of the same speaker but with such good imaging you could have sworn he had another speaker behind that same Cornwall--very nice and I am off to Bestbuy and see if I can find that DVD-Audio.

The first selection of mine that was played was from REMs greatest hits DVD-A entitled "E-bow the letter." It sounded clear and crisp but lacked the punch it had on my system. It was then that Jeff told me that he had an older model Pioneer Elite that didn't have bass management for DVD-A/SACD, IMO that was the weak link in his system (and the only weakness I heard the whole day) we then listened to Sarah McLachlan DVD video and the song "Building a Mystery," which also sounded sweet. Her voice echoed through the room like she was in there singing to us. I can see why people who have 2 Cornwalls up front get ecstatic when they find a vertical cornwall to use as their center channel.

It wasn't until we put in and played some scenes from the first 2 "Star Wars" movies that I realized how beneficial it is to have 2 more Cornwalls as surrounds. I also realized if you really wanted to have an obscene system you add a SVS 29/30 sub. To make it over kill you could add another SVS, or you could do what Jeff did and REALLY upset the neighbors (not just next door, but 2 doors down) by adding a 3rd SVS sub!!!!

I didn't notice the SVSs on my DVD-A disks because they didn't have a substantial LFE channel (which my Denon 3910 compensates for at my house w/bass mgmt). But what really drew my attention to his subwoofers is when fellow Hornhead and Klipschster Good2behome brought in a Gregorian chant (I believe that's what it was) that had some EXTREMELY low bass. The whole house shook.

Also checking out the "Java Bean Theater was fellow forum member Oldtimer and his wife. When that first low note came out of the trio of subs, I could tell by the expression on Oldtimerss wifes face that she was not only deeply (pun intended) impressed, but if her husband showed up with one of those "tower of powers" (or possibly 2) she wouldn't kick him out of the house. (Lucky guymy wife told me where I would be sleeping if I came home with something that huge.)

Getting back to Star Wars: This definitely was a showstopper for me. We played a scene from "Phantom Menace," which I wasn't expecting to sound as tremendous as it did, not being a primary demo disk for me. The unreal explosion on the galaxy chase scene as well as Anakin Skywalker chasing that ugly fellow and his son through the cosmos REALLY showed off Jeff's system well. The blending of all 5 speakers and those sub 80 Hz (40 Hz?) explosions on the SVS's made this epic come alive like only one other theater I have heard 9.gif. When we got to the all-too-familiar Pod race, it was equally impressive. After hearing Eq shadimar's all-Cornwall system I can truly say, if a person really (and I mean REALLY) wants to have a Show Systemget 5 huge speakers and 3 huge subwoofers and don't let anyone persuade you to get anything smaller!!!!

Now with that being said, after the Cornwall Experience, Jeff took us in his secondary theater (you know, the one like we all use as a 2nd set-up with the HUGE front projector) that had 5 Heresies and that sounded sweet as well. If we started out with that one and he told us that was his main HT, it still would have been worth the experiencebut slightly short of sublime compared to the Big Boys.

BTW, I gather the Theater got its name from his well-behaved and friendly dog Java. You can tell a lot about a person by the way he treats his dog and on that criterium I can vouch for Jeff being a great guy. Java was as much as part of the group as myself and he is definitely one lucky dog to be able to hang out in Jeff's "Javabean Multi-media experience , Home Theater.

Thanks for the invite 1.gif.

I would like to second all of the above! The Hospitality was great as were the cookies! I will also admit to making a dent in the carrots And chips & dip before the delicious burgers were ready!! I really enjoyed meeting everyone and spending a Sunday evening auditioning an amazing system. (actually 2 systems! we also got to watch the Dead and Janice Joplin on his all Heresy projection system later in the evening!)

I took along my Flim & the BB's cd "Tricycle" as it is my favorite to audition new systems and components with. The verdict? WOW! I love the way my little Heresys perform, but it was like hearing this CD for the first time all over again. The main thing that grabbed me was the bottom end! It was so much fuller than on my system. The other thing I really loved was how clean it sounded at Any volume level! I can definitly see me trying to sneak a pair of Corns in when my wife isn't looking! Thanks again, Jeff.

I was blown away by the clarity of detail that the all cornwall plus sub system revealed. Beautiful, clean, detailed, without fatigue, better than any movie theater because of the intimacy involved. Plus, as a good luck charm, when I got home I found that I had scored another set of Forte II's at below $400(I have to and prefer to go pick them up) so I am on my way to a Forte version of Jeff's massive sound machine. Thanks Jeff for the great sounds and the hospitality, it was great to end the evening with Janis Joplin, just like being there! Now Margie has the drawing board out for the projection home theater extravaganza room.

Hornheads unite!

----------------

On 8/1/2005 5:41:19 PM oldtimer wrote:

... Plus, as a good luck charm, when I got home I found that I had scored another set of Forte II's at below $400(I have to and prefer to go pick them up) so I am on my way to a Forte version of Jeff's massive sound machine.

----------------

Congratulations Oldtimer.1.gif When do the subs arrive? 9.gif

Wow thanks for all the awesome comments! I guess my system is ok after all..you know I was worried 2.gif

It was great having you all over and meeting some of the new Hornies in the DFW/North Texas Area. I have held enough of these demo to know that food+beer+cookies+good company=good reviews so I guess I am guilty of stacking the deck in my favor just a bit 1.gif

Just a couple of comments on tkdamerica's awesome review (that must have taken quite some time to write!!). The Star Wars demos were from The Phantom Menace - Pod Race Scene and Attack of the Clones - The Clone Wars and Asteroid Chase sequence. Also the classical disc with the vocals was a DVD-A of Beethoven's 9th.

I am glad that I converted some folks to the power of big speakers and massive subwoofers!! It is always a bonus to convert a significant other to big speakers, big woofers and big screens as well!! What a coup! Awesome news on the Fortes too.

It was a blast to host the event and I look forward to having everyone back again soon. I had a great time and really enjoyed everyone's company. So I guess that leaves one question...

Who's next?

Laters,

Jeff

Got to throw in a story of my first visit to Jeffs. Sorry I missed this one...

After getting my manhood jingled soundly by the SVS subs, I finally asked "Jeez, Jeff, those subs are AWESOME! But why THREE!!!" Jeff turned to me and said, "Well, Dave, if I lived in a house on piers, I could have gotten by with just one. However, this is a slab, and in order to MOVE it you need three."

Arighty, I got it...

Dave

• 6 years later...

Yesterday I was fortunate to be able to audition eq shadimar's (aka Jeff) 5.1 all Cornwall "Javabean Multi-media experience, "Home Theater. (Technically it could be labeled a 5.3 since he has 3 huge SVS subs hooked up as well, but who is counting 2.gif). I am always comparing other Home Theaters to mine, and right off the bat I could tell that Jeff had tried to stack the deck by making the some of the BEST cheeseburgers I have ever had. If that wasn't enough, he made chocolate chip cookies, which put me in a favorable mindset to write this synopsis.

Jeff was also nice enough to let me play some media that I wanted to hear on his Cornwall system. To start off the afternoon we listened to a 2 channel Jazz recording that fellow DFW Hornhead and Klipsch forum member "Tommy C" brought. It had a nice sound to it but I am not a 2 channel fan as much as I am a multi channel person. If Tommy wishes to comment it would be more appropriate than myself since I had not heard the recording before—I wanted to hear those other 3 Cornys with those 3 subs do their stuff.

I also don't listen to much classical music (i.e., I purchased the "1812 Overture" SACD to listen to the cannons but that was the only cut that got played more than once on the disk at home) but I was told by other more experienced people at this get together it was probably my selection of composers. We then listened to a fugue by Bach (if I am wrong please correct me) and that was when Jeff's Cornwalls came alive! I was amazed at how the 2 vocals seemingly came out of the same speaker but with such good imaging you could have sworn he had another speaker behind that same Cornwall--very nice and I am off to Bestbuy and see if I can find that DVD-Audio.

The first selection of mine that was played was from REM’s greatest hits DVD-A entitled "E-bow the letter." It sounded clear and crisp but lacked the punch it had on my system. It was then that Jeff told me that he had an older model Pioneer Elite that didn't have bass management for DVD-A/SACD, IMO that was the weak link in his system (and the only weakness I heard the whole day) we then listened to Sarah McLachlan DVD video and the song "Building a Mystery," which also sounded sweet. Her voice echoed through the room like she was in there singing to us. I can see why people who have 2 Cornwalls up front get ecstatic when they find a vertical cornwall to use as their center channel.

It wasn't until we put in and played some scenes from the first 2 "Star Wars" movies that I realized how beneficial it is to have 2 more Cornwalls as surrounds. I also realized if you really wanted to have an obscene system you add a SVS 29/30 sub. To make it over kill you could add another SVS, or you could do what Jeff did and REALLY upset the neighbors (not just next door, but 2 doors down) by adding a 3rd SVS sub!!!!

I didn't notice the SVS’s on my DVD-A disks because they didn't have a substantial LFE channel (which my Denon 3910 compensates for at my house w/bass mgmt). But what really drew my attention to his subwoofers is when fellow Hornhead and Klipschster Good2behome brought in a Gregorian chant (I believe that's what it was) that had some EXTREMELY low bass. The whole house shook.

Also checking out the "Java Bean Theater was fellow forum member Oldtimer and his wife. When that first low note came out of the trio of subs, I could tell by the expression on Oldtimers’s wife’s face that she was not only deeply (pun intended) impressed, but if her husband showed up with one of those "tower of powers" (or possibly 2) she wouldn't kick him out of the house. (Lucky guy—my wife told me where I would be sleeping if I came home with something that huge.)

Getting back to Star Wars: This definitely was a showstopper for me. We played a scene from "Phantom Menace," which I wasn't expecting to sound as tremendous as it did, not being a primary demo disk for me. The unreal explosion on the galaxy chase scene as well as Anakin Skywalker chasing that ugly fellow and his son through the cosmos REALLY showed off Jeff's system well. The blending of all 5 speakers and those sub 80 Hz (40 Hz?) explosions on the SVS's made this epic come alive like only one other theater I have heard 9.gif. When we got to the all-too-familiar Pod race, it was equally impressive. After hearing Eq shadimar's all-Cornwall system I can truly say, if a person really (and I mean REALLY) wants to have a Show System—get 5 huge speakers and 3 huge subwoofers and don't let anyone persuade you to get anything smaller!!!!

Now with that being said, after the Cornwall Experience, Jeff took us in his secondary theater (you know, the one like we all use as a 2nd set-up with the HUGE front projector) that had 5 Heresies and that sounded sweet as well. If we started out with that one and he told us that was his main HT, it still would have been worth the experience—but slightly short of sublime compared to the Big Boys.

BTW, I gather the Theater got its name from his well-behaved and friendly dog Java. You can tell a lot about a person by the way he treats his dog and on that criterium I can vouch for Jeff being a great guy. Java was as much as part of the group as myself and he is definitely one lucky dog to be able to hang out in Jeff's "Javabean Multi-media experience , Home Theater.

Thanks for the invite 1.gif.

Old post but worth the read, well written I was wishing I was there too.

Thanks

Louis