My analog A to Z

jazman

DSCF0002.JPG

I embarked on the path to upgrade my turntable a month or so ago. As expected, nothing worth while comes easily. I replaced my VPI Scout turntable with a used VPI Aries 1. The difference between my older Aries 1 and the current Aries 2 model is the all acrylic platter, mounted on the inverted bearing ala TNT HRX, which will also accomodate the peripheral ring clamp. My Aries one has the older style bearing, with the back breaking lead filled TNT platter. I purchased the table without a tonearm, feeling there had to be a good used VPI JMW-10 arm waiting to be provided a good home. Indeed there was, albeit in Austrailia, but I guess that's what world markets are all about eh. The Aries turntables require the tonearm to be mounted on an armboard cut specificlly for that tonearm. This piece is normally available from VPI by picking up the phone, I somehow made the mistake of thinking the one I already had would work, but I luckily was able to do one stop shopping with the seller of the tonearm. While awaiting the arrival of tonearm and armboard from down under, it was a good time to perform other minor upgrades, like replacing the old hard rubber support bushings connecting the table to it's cone feet. Upgrade the motor from a 600 rmp motor to the newer 300 rpm motor. Add the heavier stainless steel record clamp, new anti-static turntable belt. Purchased a spare amrwand to have a second cartridge always on standby.

Finally the tonearm with ambase arrives, a few days later the armboard. Mount the Denon DL-S1 and the upgrade is apparent. Larger soundstage, better bass definition. The Aries is a keeper for sure, and the closet thing to a TNT there is. With this quality of table upgrade, my thoughts now turn to what LOMC cartridge becomes "the one" to allow the presentation attributes of this setup to shine. Benz? Ortofon? Shelter? I thought, This is the last turntable I buy, so I may as well look for the last cartirdge. I think I've found it with the purchase of the ZYX R1000 3SB low output version. It's still in the breakin period of its first 100 hours of use, but it is absolutely fabluous to this point. The Denon DL-S1 is not an easy act to follow. ZYX cartridges have a reputation of being slow to break in, but the R1000 3SB was a revelation from the first selection it played. It immediately commanded me to sit down and listen! The ZYX has so far proven to be everything most vinyl lovers could ever wish for. Wonderful extension of the high and low frequencies, glorius midrange. The tonality of instruments is nothing I've heard before to this extent. Plenty of detail without a hifi effect. Instruments in their own space, yet a wonderfully whole presentation. The ZYX R1000 3SB was certainly not an inexpensive purchase or casual decision, but one of the best equipment decisions I have ever made.

VPI has upgrades and refinements galore to keep me busy for some time. Short term plans are to add the outboard flywheel, then upgrade the tonearm to the JMW 10.6. Eventually a Symposium Isolation platform. So, that's all folks. I'll get the photo uploaded soon.

Klipsch out.

post-7998-13819269061286_thumb.jpg

Excellent post Edmund and I'm happy you are well satisfied. The search for HiFi nirvana is a long and sometimes expensive road but it can be great fun along the way. Fun and great sounding music are goals worth having. Because I'm currently contemplating a turn table purchase, your post is probably going to cost me a few bucks So Mr. jazman, you owe me five good jazz LP recommendations!9.gif

----------------

On 8/5/2005 7:59:47 PM boomac wrote:

I didn't see the picture till I finished my last post.

That's a dandy table. Really dandy!
3.gif
----------------

My first attempt to post the photo was humongous. It took a few botched attempts to get it right. I'll gladly provide five Jazz LP recomendations. Go shopping for that next turntable! Vinyl lovers unite!

Klipsch out.

Very nice Edmond. I'm glad the upgrades are meeting (or exceeding) your expectations. It's beautiful!

Won't be long until Scott's spinnin' vinyl on a killer rig also!2.gif We're working him pretty hard.9.gif

Every new LP is an experience. I just finished listening to Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section that Scott sent me (I know Allan - what took me so long?10.gif) and it's just just amazing. I was literally glued to my seat throughout the entire album.

The wife and I are going kitchen cabinet shopping tomorrow which means I'll be one step closer to building my music room. Gotta make her happy first.

Edmond,

Try taking that motor cover off, it's known to feed resonance back into the plinth. Should sound better with it off. I think VPI got rid of it on the Aries 2. Several users on AA posted comments confirming the motor cover has negative sonic effects.

Tim

----------------

On 8/5/2005 11:49:47 PM RAPTORMAN wrote:

That's a kool looking table. Is the VTA adjustment on that, as easy as the JMW 9??
1.gif1.gif
I wonder if a 10 or a 10.5 JMW would fit my table.
3.gif
----------------

Unfortunately the 10 inch JMW arms will not fit on the Scout. Different junction box setup also. The juntion box for the 10 and 12 inch arms is part of the arms base and does not mount to the plinth. The VTA adjustment is even easier, and can be done on the fly while the LP is being played with the calibrated (black)dial that you see.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 8/6/2005 1:21:36 AM No Disc wrote:

Edmond,

Try taking that motor cover off, it's know to feed resonance back into the plinth. Should sound better with it off. I think VPI got rid of it on the Aries 2. Several users on AA posted comments confirming the motor cover has negative sonic effects.

Tim

----------------

Tim,

I thought the motor cover created a better photo. The 600 rpm motor I'm sure would contribute to some vibrations. Upgrading to the 300 rpm motor virtually eliminates the noise and vibration, but normal play is in the minimalist mode with no cover. The motor sits in a housing that is one big hunk of stainless steel.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 8/5/2005 11:49:47 PM RAPTORMAN wrote:

That's a kool looking table. Is the VTA adjustment on that, as easy as the JMW 9?? I wonder if a 10 or a 10.5 JMW would fit my table. ----------------

Unfortunately the 10 inch JMW arms will not fit on the Scout. Different junction box setup also. The juntion box for the 10 and 12 inch arms is part of the arms base and does not mount to the plinth. The VTA adjustment is even easier, and can be done on the fly while the LP is being played with the calibrated (black)dial that you see.

Klipsch out.

Jazzman

Do you mind if I post a Pic of my TT on this thread??1.gif1.gif