OT: Slug Bugs

toddvj

My wife and I were discussing wheter or not people play the "Slug Bug" game in other parts of the country. The game is, when you see a Volkswagon Beetle, you punch someone and say "Slug-Bug." Or you might say "Slug Bug Blue No Backs." Anyway, just wondering if people besides Minnesotans play this game.

----------------

On 8/7/2005 8:26:04 PM toddvj wrote:

My wife and I were discussing wheter or not people play the "Slug Bug" game in other parts of the country. The game is, when you see a Volkswagon Beetle, you punch someone and say "Slug-Bug." Or you might say "Slug Bug Blue No Backs." Anyway, just wondering if people besides Minnesotans play this game.

----------------

We played that as kids, but we called it "Punch Bug", as in "Punch Bug! No Punch Backs!".

It's "Punch-Bug" here. Same game, though, I think. Also, there's the "Pediddle" game. Same thing, but involves a car with only one working headlight. There are harsh penalties for those who confuse motorcycles with a bona fide Pediddle.

The game "Duck, Duck, Goose," People from Minnesota call it "Duck, Duck, Grey Duck."

I've heard of Pediddle, but I've only met like one or two people that played it.

Keep 'em coming, I'd like to see if everyone else plays Slug Bug, and what you call it.

It was also slug bug in Colorado. Since there weren't that many VW bugs running around where we grew up on the west slope, we changed the game to cow punching - that is if you were the first to spot some cattle you could sock your sibling. If they turned out to be horses instead of cows, you'd have to get three horse hits back for every cow punch you gave.

Slug Bug in Indiana/Michigan growing up. Now that I am more of an east-coaster I here it referred to most often as Punch Buggy. Sort of like pop vs. soda. Deep down we all know it is really "Slug Bug" and "Pop".

I find I am now bilingual. My mind thinks pop, but I say soda to my coworkers. I hear soda but I think pop.

BTW, "one eyed bandit" was a car with one headlight and yes there was he!! to pay if it was a motorcycle.

• Moderators

Slug bug here in Indy... Always followed by the color of the bug ("Slug bug yellow"--bam!)

Some people can get vicious! I owned a red one in high school, so it was fun seeing people punching each other as I drove by.

We had pediddles as well... You had to say "pediddle!" then smack the roof of the car. Whoever hit the roof first got to punch the other person.

How barbaric!

I'd hear of one in the 90's called Griswold. It's when you see a fake wood paneled station wagon...

when I was a kid there was a junkyard for bugs wich allowed me to pummel my little sister, thanks for the memory, and yes punch bug yellow.

we also had the alphabet game. find street signs or what have you that started with a certain letter and work your way through the alphabet first one through wins.

you start to cheat and use license plates for q x and z

I'm with Amy again. Slug bug big time as a kid, with the car color.

Also license plate or roadside alphabet game. Had to find all the letters in alphabet in order on roadside signs- not a contest, no one gets hurt, it's a cooperative effort, good for young readers. Q is a toughie- gotta wait for Quaker state ad or small town Antique store!

Michael

----------------

Q is a toughie- gotta wait for Quaker state ad or small town Antique store!

----------------

Hmmm, my family was always looking for the Dairy Queen or LiQuor store. Explains a lot now that I look back on my youth.

----------------

On 8/7/2005 10:23:11 PM kev313 wrote:

Oh yeah...slug bug and pediddle in Illinois.

----------------

Well my family called it slug bug and "padoodle" but my girlfriend has always called it "pediddle"

but instead of punching, i was always taught that 3 pediddles and you get to kiss anyone in the car. My parents would of course love the game and me and my bro would just compete to get the highest number in one trip (and just kiss ourselves...gotta love loopholes).

We would get numbers as high as 80 divided amongst 4 people, but now that I have a girlfriend it's hard to find even 2! Screw them light bulb manufacturers making them bulbs last longer!

• Moderators

----------------

On 8/8/2005 11:15:00 AM Andy W wrote:

Any body else know about "door knob safety"?

A truly brutal game.
9.gif
----------------

Haven't heard that one....

But I am fond of the Hertz Donut.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 10:31:34 AM rplace wrote:

Hmmm, my family was always looking for the Dairy Queen or LiQuor store. Explains a lot now that I look back on my youth.

----------------

Oh man. The amount of coffee on my monitor just tripled.