There is NO 20 watt per channel minimum for Klipsch speakers

jazman

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I apologize amy for my short detour from my normal courtesy..I am afraid that even I can have my feathers ruffled by mr. parrot and others...I simply reponded with direct quotes from PWK when I saw that assertions were being supported by pictures of advertisements that were foisted as remarks by PWK....enough, perhaps it is time for a break. see y'all. tony

• Moderators

----------------

On 8/9/2005 12:27:31 PM sunnysal wrote:

I apologize amy for my short detour from my normal courtesy..I am afraid that even I can have my feathers ruffled by mr. parrot and others...I simply reponded with direct quotes from PWK when I saw that assertions were being supported by pictures of advertisements that were foisted as remarks by PWK....enough, perhaps it is time for a break. see y'all. tony
----------------

Don't worry about it. We all sometimes let our feathers get ruffled from time to time. You certainly aren't a repeat offender!

I appreciate the apology.

And believe it or not, PWK did write a lot of the advertisements himself. I don't have specifics, but I'll be happy to do some research for anyone really interested in a certain piece.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 9:38:07 AM Painful Reality wrote:

The only other SET amp that was HUGELY used was teh Western Electric 91A (first issued around 1933). But it's use was restrained to theater since Western Electric did not sell this amp but leased it instead to theaters.

----------------

Painful, do you remember offhand what power these were rated?

----------------

On 8/9/2005 12:39:07 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 8/9/2005 9:38:07 AM Painful Reality wrote:

The only other SET amp that was HUGELY used was teh Western Electric 91A (first issued around 1933). But it's use was restrained to theater since Western Electric did not sell this amp but leased it instead to theaters.

----------------

Painful, do you remember offhand what power these were rated?

----------------

The Western Electric 91A was an 8W amplifier. It sounded surprisingly good. I build a coupled of clones of these and I still rate it among my favorite SET amplifiers. It can do the job if you are not after SPL. If so, then a biamp set-up will be mandatory.

These Western Electric now will reach an insane price, assuming they ever come up to sale. I wonder a bit why as the original OPT was designed with a steep roll of in the bass to avoid LF rumble in the theaters. Clones are in fact MUUUUCH better sounding and can be built for a tiny fraction of the price.

One of the sonic key of this amp was the "pentode driving a triode" configuration, giving one of the smootest harmonic distortion spectrum I ever saw. Not bad for an oldie.

So *if* Mr. PWK did not *specificly* make the statement "20WPC minimum requirement for Klipsch speakers", then I suggest Mr. Parrot *not* use Mr. PWK name in reference to such a statement.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 12:24:32 PM RAPTORMAN wrote:

I love this forum--It's like one big family---and AMY is our mom.
9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif
----------------

Yeah we are like one big family . In a you can pick your friends but you can't pick your family sort of way ! 6.gif Amy , you must be one busy lady , at last count you had 21,888 registered kids , Mia Farrow would be envious . Speaking of which , I saw Parrot playing by the stove , I told him not to , but he just stuck his toungue out at me and called me a poopyhead . Just thought you might want to know . 10.gif

Amusing thread...

Not sure this was mentioned but it is important to consider. I'm not sure other SET designs allow for this, but the Wright Sound Company 2A3 amps are 3.5 WATTs RMS, and can drive to 8 Watts for dynamic headroom. A quote from George's web site regarding his 2A3 amps. I seen 3.5 watts mentioned several times in this thread, but it is simply not the proper specification for the Wright based amps. What about Moondogs? Anyone know?

No Disc

--------------- snip -----------------

WPA3.5 Power Amp

The WPA3.5 Mono Block 2A3 single-ended power amplifier was the first in our line of power amplifiers. Rated at 3.5 watts RMS and 8 watts of music power, this amp has incredible dynamic headroom, unlike most 2A3 amps. One of the reasons for the dynamic headroom is that the 2A3 is driven by a medium mu stage directly coupled to a low Z, high output, constant-current cathode follower driver stage. This allows the 2A3 to be driven into class A-2 without appreciably increasing the distortion. Although specifically designed for high efficiency speakers (100+dB), its more than capable of driving medium efficiency (84+dB) systems. Driven by a 2A3 power output tube along with a Magnaquest power transformer, the WPA3.5 Mono is very linear, with low hum and zero feedback. Features Pi-filtered power supply and point-to-point, hand wiring. With this amp, you can close your eyes and feel as if the performer is right next to you. (220-240 volt model $1,575) Priced per pair.

Which part of this is complicated?

There is NO required minimum wattage.

There is a suggested minimum wattage.

Any further arguing suggests the participants simply want to insult each other and provide Parrot the opportunity to come out smelling like a rose while annoying the hell out of others for his own enjoyment... and occasionally others.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 1:59:30 PM Radiohead wrote:

After sorting through seven pages of complete, mine is bigger than yours, nonsense the only thing I'm curious about is why someone would bother to type "Klipsch out" at the end of everyone of their replies?----------------

RH,

Hmmm there might be something to that.........

Amy,

I know I just couldn't help myself 5.gif

----------------

On 8/9/2005 1:59:30 PM Radiohead wrote:

After sorting through seven pages of complete, mine is bigger than yours, nonsense the only thing I'm curious about is why someone would bother to type "Klipsch out" at the end of everyone of their replies?

----------------

I wondered the same thing...

David

----------------

On 8/9/2005 1:58:27 PM Anarchist wrote:

Any further arguing suggests the participants simply want to insult each other and provide Parrot the opportunity to come out smelling like a rose while annoying the hell out of others for his own enjoyment... and occasionally others.

----------------

Hey, if this thread is going to keep coming back to me, I want the popcorn concession.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 2:24:47 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 8/9/2005 1:58:27 PM Anarchist wrote:

----------------

Hey, if this thread is going to keep coming back to me, I want the popcorn concession.

----------------

Ya know, seems like I read somewhere that PWK always recommended a minimum of 350 degrees for cooking popcorn.

David3.gif

I would add that I just sold what has to be one of the best and most highly regarded single ended pentode, Decware Taboo. This amp has 6wpc and a matching single ended triode pre amp. With a Pair of La Scala I could listen at low levels to great sounds, but the amp was always pegged and seemed out of breath on some passages. I admit I like my music loud enough to hear all the details, pretty loud. My dad left me an Eico HF-81 14wpc integrated, with this little jewel the SPLs are all anyone would ever want. It has been refurbished and the capacitors have been replaced, it now sounds as good as the Decware sep, and has bass and SPLs to burn for the La Scala. Jazz, classical, country, folk, hard rock,classic top40s, anything but rap crap, I like it all. Six watts is not enough for me to get all the music, no matter how great that six watts is, I like the music to fill the room. nightrider