Blueberry, My take..

lwhaples

Well, I've had it for awhile hooked up to a Dynaco ST70 playing lp's. I really enjoy it. But at first,the amount of bass I was used to was lost. Now that I 've listened to it this way I like the sound.

My quest for better sound went from Marantz 2285 to a Fisher KX100 to a Scott 299C and now to Dynaco. I have a pair of MK 111's sitting at Craig's waiting for his touch. All this time still only having Corn's ,well KG4's but not using. Still looking for more KLIPSCH speakers.

Again, the Blueberry is SWEET! But with the MK3's comming, I may need another pre amp for the ST70. The Merlin? I guess to sell the Scott 299C that has a Craig rebiuld and a Scott 299B stock would pay for the pre amp or more speakers.Mark, Thanks! big time for what you do.Craig, can't say enough for what you do. Thanks!!

This Forum means alot to me, long hours at work to come home and read what others have to say. Learn,and listen to LP's. What a life! Thanks to all that post their thoughts,it helps on my end.

Larry

----------------

On 8/23/2005 7:48:12 PM lwhaples wrote:

This Forum means alot to me, long hours at work to come home and read what others have to say. Learn,and listen to LP's. What a life! Thanks to all that post their thoughts,it helps on my end.

----------------

It is nice being able to come here.9.gif

no, Ive waited this long for the Dynaco another week or two is nothing.(I hope Craig isnt grumpy when he see this)9.gif

actually I had a dream a week or so that When I got the Dynaco he had only replaced like one or two resitors, this forum is entering my R.E.M sleep now too.

keep me up to date on your schedule and yes I got a tt

It's the same deal with the Peach. But what you'll notice after you go through some of your favorite CD's a couple of times is just how natural and tuneful it is. It's not a heavy handed or fat bass, but in exhange you get clean bass lines that stay coherent when the music gets complex. The Peach is such an integral part of "the sound" I've put together that I may buy another before Mark retires just for insurance. Get some Siemens in your unit -- it'll drop your jaw.

----------------

On 8/23/2005 10:09:53 PM DeanG wrote:

Get some Siemens in your unit --

----------------

Did you put that in for me? BTW, I have been digging my new Blueberry with my Fisher SA-16 console amp. Your description of the Peach sound is confirmed here.

I haven't found a pair of cheap Siemens yet, but did score a great deal on a single Amperex 7308. It provides more detail than the Bugle Boys, a bit crisper in sound. It may not be as blended as the Bugles, but I do like the sound with good quality recordings. I will keep an eye for a single Siemens.

Dean scores.

Yes, Dean, you are right on target. As someone who has paid a great deal of attention to the "proper and tuneful" bass issue, the Blueberry has it right. Not too much, not to little, but just the right amount of fleet-footed, tuneful bass make this preamp a WINNER.

After the BB/VRD/LaScala demo at Craig's, I am completely sold on the BB - all except for having the money, of course1.gif

Going from a 299b, c or d, you will not have the exaggerated bass as everyone has already stated. You will soon realize just how wonderful and clean and deep your bass has become. Your ears need to adjust. It's an entirely different sound. It won't be long before you think the Scott sounds weird.

For those who need a single Seimans Cca, I have one I'd be willing to part with for $150. It's the real deal so any less and I'd just keep it as a backup. I bought it from a forum member and used it in my Blueberry for a year but recently found an Amperex pinch-waist 6922 which is also a wonderful tube though very rare, hard to find and EXPENSIVE! I wouldn't mind selling the Cca but also wouldn't mind keeping it. To replace it, I'd probably have to pay at least $150, if not more although I don't know the going rate these days. If I'm totally out of line price-wise, someone please let me know.

"I'll jump in here a sec. There is a careful line to walk with tubes. It's very easy (and sometimes tempting) to let the bass bulge out a bit - even if a tad flabby. This is found in a good many vintage units".

This is my only detectable flaw in my rebuilt MX110. It is not always a problem - it seems to vary with listening material - but at times, the bass gets a bit heavy footed (I also suspect some of this is the SS rectification in the 110). I found this to be true even when plugging in the 110 to SET and other tube amps....so it's in the pre. However, I cannot ignore the other tangible benefits of the 110 - it's good in all other areas - a very good pre for the investment - not to mention an excellent tuner. If I sold this, I would have to buy a Mac tube tuner to replace it.

Now you know why I do not have a BB. Cost is an object here, and I cannot afford the cost of the upgrade (BB + tuner = 2K minimum, even used - more like 3K if I went BBX + MR71), so that's a $1-2K upgrade.

I spent considerable time trying to find something that significantly improved my current hand, and the BB was the first to have me even thinking about an upgrade. It was fun to keep listening to other setups and say "awwwww, mine is just as good - or at least, not worth the upgrade" - but the BB/VRD's stopped me dead in my tracks.

I want to play with my MC-30's and a BB someday, just to hear what that sounds like.

Gary, here are a couple of current listings for Seimens CCa tubes:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-Tubes-Siemens-CCa-6922-E88CC-pair_W0QQitemZ5801154979QQcategoryZ50598QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-Tubes-Siemens-Halske-CCa-6922-E88CC-pair_W0QQitemZ5801220097QQcategoryZ50598QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-Tubes-Siemens-Halske-CCa-6922-E88CC-pair_W0QQitemZ5801220583QQcategoryZ50598QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Past listings for August on eBay range from (a pair): $147. 50, $202.50, $209.00, $272.00 to a high of $536.00 for 1950's greyplates.

Strictly provided for the information value.

Don

----------------

On 8/24/2005 4:18:06 AM lwhaples wrote:

On 8/23/2005 10:09:53 PM DeanG wrote:

Get some Siemens in your unit -- it'll drop your jaw.

And this or these are?

Larry

----------------

Larry, I'm pretty sure that Dean was referring to regular gold pin E88CC/6922 Siemens tubes that are a step down from the CCa that Gary is offering. I've owned both the regular and the CCa. I guess I would call Siemens regular, "non-CCas."

If you have the cash, then by all means, go for Gary's Siemens CCa, which is one of the Rolls-Royces of that type of tube. Regular gold-pin Siemens "non-CCas" are also fine tubes and can sometimes be had for about $60-$85 per tube, depending on the condition. Think of those as Cadillacs.

Gary, congrats on finding an Amperex pinch-waist. That is supposed to be a sweet tube!!!

Carl.

larry if you want more bass with the dynaco just forego all the stops in between and get k-horns, i cant put into words the differance in bass i get now with the horns, i do have a small sub woofer that is just gathering dust that should compliment your set up, (it is a klipsch 8" with a 50 watt amp case has been redone in birch with a light stain and varnish) till you save up enough for your next move in audio. would loan it to you or sell it for 75.00 the model is KM-S10.gif Joe