O/T: earliest memory?

priapus

Personally, I have 2 that I cant seem to date correctly, the first is reading my first book, a night before christmas, all the way through to my grandma, and the second is me and my father eating a whole pack of oreos watching a thunderstorm through the screen door (which i still do 1.gif ) i believe these were both as an early 3 yr old, but im not exactly sure.

anyone have anything earlier? when's "normal" for a kid to start reading? A friend brought this up and I can't seem to stop thinking about it. So I figured I'd go ahead and infect everyone with it. It's worse than having a song stuck in your head...

I also have 2 very early memories.

Traveling in the car, my mother feeding me a bottle as I looked up at the fluffy clouds. Must have been 2 at most.

When I was 3, we lived in an apartment and I remember sneaking into the kitchen very early in the morning and climbing up on the counter to get a handful of sugar to eat. Much to my dissappointment, I ate a huge handful of flour instead. Made a big mess. Can't remember anything else from the apartment except moving day as my father carried our living room lamp into the elevator. That was 1963.

----------------

On 8/25/2005 8:29:04 PM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

According to phychology studies, the average first memory comes from around 3 years old... Events that can raise excitement or brain function levels can force earlier memories (excitement, tragedy etc etc).

----------------

......or a mouth full of flour.14.gif

First memory I have is before I could walk or talk, when objects around me were just colors and sounds. Recognised Mom by her voice and the shape she had when in front of me...

Experience is burned into memory, didn't know what it was until later when Mom explained it to me.

She and a group of her lady friends took a trip to the Bronx Zoo, circa 1957. I was in a stoller. They were standing in a group by the tiger's cage. I remember bad smelling orange-ish thing. The tiger peed on them. I remember a hot, smelly, sticky liquid hitting me and a bunch of women screaming and then laughing. Mom says I wasn't any older than 18 months, maybe younger.

Next memorys start much later, maybe 3 or so.

About a year ago, I flew into the Evansville, Indiana airport to attend my grandmothers funeral. As I walked down the terminal looking out at the tarmac, I suddenly had a major déjà vu. I remembered standing outside watching my dad getting off of an airplane (something like a DC3). I also remembered him wearing military clothing and carrying some kind of luggage or bag (my dad had been in the Army, but he got out a few weeks after I was born).

The next day I met up with my folks at the funeral, and I eventually told them about my flashback. My dad was stunned. Just as I had remembered, he had flow in to that airport, and my mom and my brother and I had met him outside where people used to meet arriving passengers. He was returning from an Army Reserve weekend training camp. He said that I would have been about 15 months old at that time.

I think that is my earliest memory.

----------------

On 8/25/2005 9:41:50 PM Woodog wrote:

Sitting on an ant hill. I was about 14 mos. old. I remember wanting to play with the ants and they were all over me, and then stinging. I screamed, the maid ran to me and was slapping them off.

Woo

----------------

Ooooh the psych's would have a field day with that one!

Really neat topic.

As a toddler, we lived in two story house with basement. When the house was built, there was a giant boulder right where the staircase was, and they never moved it, just built stairs around it, so it was like one of the treads. Dad used to carry me down on his shoulders and I would scream when we'd get to that boulder. Was only about 2.

Same house, short while later. Dad gave me hammer and nails, small board and picnic table to work on. I hammered that board so securely to that table that he never got them separated. Must have taken a month to use up every nail in my bag, but I did it. Later I made one heck of a carpenter!

Michael