OT: What camera's do you have?

crazytubepower

I did own some new but mostly used Olympus equipment: OM-1, OM-1n, OM-3, and OM-4t bodies with a Winder 2 motor drive, along with their Zuiko 28mm f/2, 55mm f1.2, 100mm f/2.8, and 200mm f/4 lenses, a T32 TTL bounce flash on a Power Bounce Grip 2 and T20 and F280 flashes, and tons of Hoya filters and other accessories...Alas, it's all been sold.

Out of all these cameras, my favorite was still my trusty '72 OM-1; purely mechanical, if my exposure meter's battery died, I could still take perfect pictures with it, as long as the batteries in my Gossen LunaPro light meter were fresh![;)]

Now I borrow my bro's digital Fuji FinePix S5100...looks like a mini SLR and takes very good pics.

JT, that 55 1.2 is a sexy piece of glass!

I have Nikon's 85mm 1.4, it's massive- great for portraits or stolen moments in the brides' dressing room (yes I go in there when she's just finishing up!)

M

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

POP QUIZ to anyone, describe the type of camera that filmboydoug displayed to us on the WHY?? thread and describe the object on the top of the camera. Answer later today. ( I don't own this type of camera, never have, but from a general knowledge of photography and camera design can fairly accurately describe the action of this fine piece of historic machinery- unlike some of our brother members claiming to be photographers)

You guys have me on a roll now. Care to comment Neo33?

Michael

Micheal, thanks for the compliment. I truely loved that fast lens...used it practically all the time!

To answer your quiz question: I'm not familiar with rangefinders from the '40s and '50s. But I assume the top device attached to the hotshoe is a various focal length viewfinder for various lenses (if they're interchangeable; I doubt that's a zoom lens. Did they have zooms back then?).

The object on the camera's right side is the exposure meter, yes?

My retired cameras include a old Nikon FA, and even older Leica M6 that I inherited from a relative. The Leica was my first, and favorite. Right now an F5 for film, and for digital, it's more sophisticated sibling which was recently purchased, the D2X. Let's not talk about lenses.

For my first digital camera I thought about one of those reeeeeally thin cameras so it isn't such a hassle carrying one around. Maybe I would then have it with me more often to take more pictures.

FilmboyDoug,

That camera looks like something from the 50's or it is so advanced it could be described as something an astronaut would use on a mission.......plasma?.......cool.

Actually Jim was right on the money.

When you look through the viewfinder of an old Argus C-44, you are just looking through a hole in the camera. (actually a mirror splits off half the image etc.) But to make a long story short, there are no lines indicating where the sides, top and bottom of your pic will be. Looking through the turret viewfinder, it clearly shows the borders of your pic. Kind of like looking through one of those doo dads a movie director will sometimes keep on a lanyard around his neck. There are three settings, one each for 35, 50, and 100 mm lenses. Set the turret to match the attached lens, turn a ring to set the distance and off you go. Well, actually you focus the pic through the viewfinder, then look through the turret viewfinder to frame your pic. The thing is dead on balls accurate too.

The light meter is an even better piece of engineering. It has a gauge with a floating needle that corresponds to the amount of light. You simply turn a ring on the meter until your chosen aperture setting aligns with the needle, causing the meter to physically turn the shutter speed to the correct setting. (The whole affair clamps on to the body covering up and attaching to the shutter speed control knob.)

I love this old thing, I bought it because my Father owns one and thats what I learned on. And it takes at least as good an image as my Nikon N-80/Sigma lenses. One gripe: I have read on two different sources that the C-44 is considered to be the nastiest queen ***** of all cameras to change the lenses on. I believe that. There has been two occasions where I was sure I had the lens attached properly, then thud, the sound of a lens hitting the ground. [:$]

And no, it is NOT an SLR. heh heh...

Hope this makes sense, it has been almost 20 years since I got a C in technical report writing.

I have an older Argus that belonged to my wife's father. I will try to

get a pic of it and post it. Iis doesn't have the model number on it

anywhere, and doesn't have the rounded ends. Pretty neat camera too.

Forgot that I have a military camers that uses 70mm roll film. Has a huge Leitz lens.

I have an older Argus that belonged to my wife's father. I will try to get a pic of it and post it. Iis doesn't have the model number on it anywhere, and doesn't have the rounded ends. Pretty neat camera too.

35MM? Sounds like a C-3, affectionately known as "The Brick".

One of my younger brothers was given this '60s Petri 2.8 Super rangefinder. Was told from the original owner that it still worked. But since he received it in 2001, he never shot a roll of film through it.[:(]

post-11084-13819269788678_thumb.jpg