Vinyl...thinking about going back...

mcp

I have been listening mostly to CDs for the past 16 years. Yesterday, just for the hell of it, I decided to hook up my father-in-law's old Dual 1229 turntable (pretty rough shape) to my H/K 730. I don't know if the phono stage in the H/K is any good or not, but I was stunned by the results. I pulled out some old vinyl that I haven't listened to in almost 20 years and compared them to my CD versions. Even with scratches and pops, there was an ease of listening that was addictive. My old copy of ELP's Works Vol II made my Rhino CD remaster sound shrill and cold. The vocals on Chris deBurgh's Spanish Train were palpable on the vinyl; the CD sounded distant by comparison.

I'm wondering if a return to vinyl is in order. I sold most of my collection long ago, but they were in rough shape anyway. However, my father-in-law's extensive collection of 50's,60's, 70's jazz is mine if I want it. Also, my brother-in-law would give me his collection of about 1500 rock albums from the 70's and 80's...not a bad start!

Any good used turntables out there for less than $500 I should be looking for?

4 or 5 years ago I was where you are now, but with 7 records to my name.

Now I have a thousand, give or take, with at least that number re-sold.

And lets not talk about the hardware.

You can do a fair bit with that dual I would imagine. New cart would probably be a good place to start and go from there at your own pace.

Just for reference my step into the budget you mentioned (or thereabouts) was a Project RPM 4 - brand new. There are many alternatives out there - even new at this price. MusicHall, Project and Rega seem to dominate the price category upto $1500 for new tables. Goldring also has a really inexpensive table - but I have seen it and the build quality was not impressive - even at that price point.

Clean is very important for records. If they haven't been played in a while, then they need to be given a thorough cleaning. Some people get specific record washers, etc to do this - others use homemade formulas and velvet brushes. You should do some searches on record cleaning. Then there's cleaning the record before you play it. This is something like a carbon fiber brush or discwasher system or the like. The quality of the sound and longevity of the record and stylus are related to how clean the record is.

Sound like you could have a great time going through your F-I-L 's and B-I-L's collection.

mcp,

Sorry, can't help you with the turntable selection, but I will be joining you and the rest of vinyl nut cases within a year.

This time next year, I expect to have everything set with the audio gear. Just need a CD player (coming within a month), Turntable, and VRD's. After that, I'm done except for minor tweaking, and LP restocking. Still kicking myself in the butt for giving away all my vinyl.

Good luck.....

I have been listening mostly to CDs for the past 16 years. Yesterday, just for the hell of it, I decided to hook up my father-in-law's old Dual 1229 turntable (pretty rough shape) to my H/K 730. I don't know if the phono stage in the H/K is any good or not, but I was stunned by the results. I pulled out some old vinyl that I haven't listened to in almost 20 years and compared them to my CD versions. Even with scratches and pops, there was an ease of listening that was addictive. My old copy of ELP's Works Vol II made my Rhino CD remaster sound shrill and cold. The vocals on Chris deBurgh's Spanish Train were palpable on the vinyl; the CD sounded distant by comparison.

I'm wondering if a return to vinyl is in order. I sold most of my collection long ago, but they were in rough shape anyway. However, my father-in-law's extensive collection of 50's,60's, 70's jazz is mine if I want it. Also, my brother-in-law would give me his collection of about 1500 rock albums from the 70's and 80's...not a bad start!

Any good used turntables out there for less than $500 I should be looking for?

You lucky dog... 1500 rock albums. It's getting very hard to find anything other than John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown these days at the Garage Sales.

I like those old Dual 1229s. Crafty German engineering. Heck there's all kinds of great turntables, new and used for $500. I'd suggest a new ProJect to get your feet wet. Simple to set up and learn.

Enjoy!

The MMF-5 is very popular new for $500.

The newer rock CD releases/remasters sound a lot better to me than many originals...especially with boxes that provide interpolation and time and phase correction.

The big sellers of rock are easy to find on used lp for $1 (Journey, Abba, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, etc.). Those releases that have never sold much (i.e. The Stooges - FUN HOUSE) are harder to find. Of course high grade Pink Floyd, Led Zep and a few others still sell despite volume.

I'm buying college rock and punk from pre 1985.

I have about 2500 rock lps which is almost everything I want.

I'm looking for 999, Stiff Little Fingers, Stooges, and lot's of indies.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions/suggestions. I think I'm going for it! I'm moving the sytem to a new room in the next two weeks and then I'll decide on a used TT and begin collecting all those albums from my relatives. This works well for everyone because they'll be so happy to get rid of them! I'm looking forward to hearing those '60's Brubeck/Mulligan/Baker albums...

.................You can do a fair bit with

that dual I would imagine. New cart would probably be a good place to

start and go from there at your own pace................

That's good advice. Those old Dual TTs are very good, especially

if you can mate it with a Shure V15 Type III cart (these are getting

more expensive and harder to find).

Unfortunately, the Dual 1229 isn't keeping accurate speed and the pitch control isn't working. The platter also seems to be making a "rubbing" noise once every revolution. I just think it would be too expensive to fix at this point. Thinking along the lines of a new Rega P2 or used P3...

For the rubbing noise, you might remove the platter to see if there is

a paper strobe pattern disc underneath that has come unglued or

loose. That's the easiest to fix possible cause of the once per

revolution noise. If that's the cause (and the speed isn't too

far off), a little glue could buy you some time to get a good deal on a

Rega. Just a thought.

I guess I have alot to learn about TTs. With the strobe pattern glue back in place, the speed is almost perfect and the pitch control is working for very fine adjustment. The cartridge is an AKG P-15. There is also an extra Shure M 75 here. Don't know much about these...age, stylus cond.--I'm sure they're old. Also, where do I start w/ tracking force and anti-skating adjustments?