automobile tires

richieb

Like everything thing else there is a market for esoteric tires.My friend spent 2k on four tires installed,lol.I prefer Michelin LTX(about $150.00 each) on my trucks/suv's.I don't know what kind of rubber it is but 80k miles is the least I've ever got.

I'm sure there will be some local dealers that will hate me for saying this but I've used tirerack.com for the last 12 years for my camaro and have save hundreds of dollars every time I've purchased the tires. ....and you don't pay tax which can be a big deal if the 4 tires set you back $800+.

They have good prices normally but when they discontinue a tire or have overstock....It's not uncommon to save $100 per tire! I know 'cause I've done it!

I bought a new Mustang GT in 1987 . The tires were Goodyear Gatorbacks 225-60's . They cost $250.00 each in '87 . I found this out when at 5000 miles I had to replace the rear tires , which I had burned off . That was 18 years ago ! If you adjust for inflation it seems to me that premium tires are less expensive now than they were then . [au]

I have had realtively good luck, with a mix of new tires and used ones. I loved the Pirelli P600 tires that I had on the '83 olds cutlass I used to own. I had upgraded to 15" wheels from the stock 14", but kept the same overall diameter.

That car would stick to the road like glue, and there was very little sidewall deflection.

Fotunately my first car couldn't even break the tires loose if it had to (75' Mercury Montego MX 2-door w/ 351W w/500cfm 2-bbl.)

My second car wore through it's original set (Goodyear GT+4 w/200 teadwear rating. It also couldn't break them loose) in ~28k. But I found the magic combination of tire pressure with the second set (Goodyear RS-A 205-55R16H w/220 treadwear rating on a 94' Eagle Talon ES non-turbo), I raised the pressure to 35psi front and 33psi rear (stock is 29psi front and 26psi rear) and got over 70k out of them. Granted the car only weighted 2,700lbs. The best part was that if I pushed real hard in a turn it would break all four tires loose at the same time. 4-wheel drifts were fun back then...now it's a friggin' sport

The stock ones on my 03' Acura TL-S suck rocks big time (Michilin MXM-V somethin-er-other 215-50VR17). They are too noisy and almost hard as a rock. Spirited take-offs from a stand still are all but impossible. The tires start to squeal way too early and the then the traction control kicks in cutting the engine off for a second or so. GGGGRRRRRRRRRR!!! They're way to new to get rid of them yet, the car only has 14k on it after 2 1/2 years. Yes, I take the bus to work to keep all the bafoons downtown from parking near it.

I second the Costco recommendation.

They usually don't stock the high end stuff, but they can order any

Bridgestone or Michelin tires and get them for you in a couple of

days.

I got my last set of Bridgestone S0-3's through them. The total

price was a little higher than the Tire Rack, but Tire Rack charges

extra for a road hazard warranty, so it probably worked out about the

same.

4 S0-3's 225/50ZR16 were about $670 plus tax. (By the way, they

only charged me $1 a piece for tire disposal, but the price may have

gone up.)

Had to go to the Tire Rack for my Avon Tech-R track tires, but that's another story.

James

I've been pricing tires for the ol' Dodge Truck for the last week or so. Granted, all products that are petroleum based will be higher, but sheesh!

This was originally my Dad's truck and he put on a set of BF Goodrich Commercial LT 245/75/R16 at Sams club for $445 about three years ago. 85,000 miles, no balancing, no alignments, no rotations and now the joker down the street wants $703. I don't think so. I'm going to go with my father in law at some point this week to Sam's (he's a member not me) and see if they are even close to $500.

Endover: my buddy (he has a '02 WS6 Ramair) just turned me on to tirerack.com and has been buying from them for years. also discounttiresdirect.com has some competitive prices. I think one site wanted $355 + shipping ($100) and the other was about $450 shipping included.

I just put new Michelins on the Silverado 255-70r-16 Just under $800 Hope they get better than the 70,000 that the stock Goodyears got. I dont see what the big deal is I was paying $120 each for Goodyear GT's and B.F.Goodrich T/A's in the late 70's for the Trams Am and only getting about 12000 miles out of them. Later Bill

I HATE BUYING TIRES.

I have four vehicles and it seems like one is always needing tires.

My oldest son is in collage and I got him a used Comaro when he was in high school.. My youngest son is in high school and I just put him in a used Firebird. I got my wife a Vette with the hopes that she would like it, so I could drive it when I don't need my truck. I also told her that she deserves a car like that, since I'm always spending money on audio gear. [:D] So far so good.

My truck has 23,000 miles on it and I just spent $800.00 on it's first replacement tires.

I though that was a little high, but a heavy duty truck takes heavy duty tires.

I'm pricing tires for the Vette as we speak, and I must admit that I was shocked at the cost. The Vette has 13,000 miles on it and four new tires are going to cost me $1,750.00 to $2,250.00. Of course they are performance tires, but the big reason that they cost so much is because they are run flat tires. The Vette doesn't have room to cary a spare tire so you have to use run flat tires. There are air pressure sensors in each wheel that monitor your tire preasure. The $1750.00 puts me back into the stock Goodyear tires. The higher priced tires are made of an even a stickier rubber compond. Great for performance, but they will wear out faster. I think that I'm going to stick with the Goodyears.

Something elce to look forward too every 13,000 miles.