Cornwall III

Kriton

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy set up the A/B test very well. He said the levels were balanced between all the speakers, so efficiency was taken out of the comparison. We listened to the same portion of the same music selection, a James Taylor piece with full band orchestration, which I thought was a nice sample, although I was not familiar with it. It started as simple voice and guitar (possibly piano), building with full rock ensemble later on. The same amp was used for each, being a pro model QSC. We listened to H3, CW3, LS2, and Jubilee with smaller and larger horn, in that order. Then Roy swapped the H3, CW3 and LS2 several times for our group.

For me, I listen to the bass regions more critically, being an ex-bass player and fan of the lower frequencies in music. The improved LS (lets call it LS2) still seemed to lack the transient attack of the CW3 and the upper bass region was a little muffled or distant sounding. I did still prefer the LS2 mid over the CW3 mid, but that is not my primary listening focus.

Although I cannot compare these newer models directly to the originals, I currently have both LS and CW set up side by side in my hearth room, so I am extraordinarily familiar with the differences. Being a fan of my existing CW over LS, I'm not surprised to prefer the new CW3 over the LS2. The H3 was very very close to the CW3, but exhibited more roll off of bass frequencies.

Hope this helps, it's very difficult to write about sound in such detail. But the listening tests were conducted very fairly imho.

Michael

We heard these speakers, no more, no less. This is inclusive of all the speakers we heard, we heard no other speakers. There were 5 (five) that we were able to audition.

Michael

Indy---I never heard a KPT-325 but what I know about speakers leads me to believe it should sound at least as good as a Cornwall, I mean why not?

It should have lower distortion and better dynamics from it's large format driver. The very top end would need EQ but it's not like the T-35 is some kind of a high frequency champion either.

I happen to think a pair of those would look so kool in a HT setup or a loft style apartment or condo, I could go for a set myself. As for the lack of style of the pro cabinetry; well they're tools and they look like what they need to look like to do the job intended. Nobody styles hammers.

Honest to God, so many guys here worry about what the consumer side of Klipsch is going to do when the real action is with the pro stuff. All this cool stuff so many here are overlooking. And it's available right now.

Indy---I never heard a KPT-325 but what I know

about speakers leads me to believe it should sound at least as good as

a Cornwall, I mean why not?

It should have lower distortion and

better dynamics from it's large format driver. The very top end would

need EQ but it's not like the T-35 is some kind of a high frequency

champion either.

I happen to think a pair of those would look so

kool in a HT setup or a loft style apartment or condo, I could go

for a set myself. As for the lack of style of the pro

cabinetry; well they're tools and they look like what they need to look

like to do the job intended. Nobody styles hammers.

Honest to

God, so many guys here worry about what the consumer side of Klipsch is

going to do when the real action is with the pro stuff. All

this cool stuff so many here are overlooking. And it's available

right now.

ya Pad down the Mid's .. to get the upper end flat

like the 4430

You guys are on the right track, after all, especially with HT what are we trying to do but capture the response and dynamics of a very impressive pro sound in our homes, right?

The Klipsch driver hooked up to either of those horns over the Jubilee cabinet was MASSIVE. The driver itself is so specialized that it is manufactured right there in Hope. We saw the 3" (yes three inch) voice coil and titanium dome on the line being mated to the even more massive magnet structure. This is a very intense driver people. Roy says that it goes from 800 to 20,000- we heard it with NO EQ whatsoever and it was amazing! Insofar as a 'pretty' consumer version of the Jubilee, look at the cabinet closely. The only wood grain is the flat panel across the front and two simple grille boxes enclose the horn outputs on the sides. It would be a simple matter to create a 'consumer' version from a pro model suitable for the finest living rooms.

If'n ya don't like the horn on top, just build a box around it or stretch fabric over the horn mouth itself.

I'm IN, I might go for this. Don't have corner for khorns, so there's nowhere to go but PRO.

Michael