cartridge. Since getting the Blueberry Xtreme, I have been

running it into the amp portion of the Mac. Music sounds kind of

veiled, slightly like humming through wax paper over a comb (not that

dramatic, only slightly). The music is no longer drawing me

in. Especially with vinyl, which has been problematic for some

time. I'm going to play with the VTA tomorrow. SME

instructions ask that the arm be adjusted so as to be parallel with the

LP, but the body of the cartridge almost touches the surface of the

disc. I'm gonna raise it and see how that sounds.

I understand a good tube power amp would be a good idea, and I'm

planning to upgrade (more like have upgraded) my Dynaco MK IVs, as well

as one or two of these Fisher amps I have laying around. Maybe

it's normal the closer you get to "the ticket" the further away you

feel (upgraded components spotlight the weaker link?), but it is a

little disappointing.

BTW, the Xtreme sounded great (if you subtract for the out-of-whack xovers in the Belles) at Mark's house with his Kora amp.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fini, If the music is muddied you are right the VTA is most likely too low. Raise it until the base of the cartridge is level with the record surface of a medium thickness disk. Then reset the tracking force and listen. Lower it just a bit, readjust the tracking force and listen again. If it is better, repeat until it is worse then go back up a little at a time until it is as good as it gets.

The reason for this is that some carts like to be down just a tad for best sound, others don't. Remember each time that the VTA is adjusted, it changes the tracking force.

Rick

fini:

I haven't done anything with vinyl in years, so I'm not even sure what VTA is.

I assume you probably have something similar, but if it's any help I

have a little balance beam type Shure Tracking Force Gauge that you're

welcome to borrow. I might even deliver[;)]

James

I feel ya, man (well...actually, Gregg, I don't...I just always wanted to say that, though).

When I bought the AMC CVT1030s vacuum tube pre for my MC7200 SS amp, the overall sound of my system changed, but not necessarily for the better...it just sounded different. It wasn't worse than before with my SS Carver C-4000 pre, but it wasn't as lively as I had hoped for either. But once I changed amplification from SS to the li'l '62 Magnavox 6BQ5 single-ended console tube amp, there was an immediate improvement in overall sonics that could put chills down my spine the music sounded so 3-dimensional!

Have your MarkIVs rebuilt, and I bet your new Xtreme will scream with pure musical ecstasy (and total aural pleasure will be achieved...it'll be the next best thing to sex yet, you'll see)![:$]

Fini,

You didn't mention, but perhaps have already checked, is to play

the CD through the Blueberry and the power amp end of the Mac. If it

sounds good, then you have ruled out some matching or synergistic issue

with the BB and Mac.

Hope you find out it's the TT/cartridge and get a pleasing result.

Aside from my obvious need for TT/Cart tweaking, I am thinking you've nailed the overall problem, Jim (especially since your experience was with McIntosh amplification). "Lively" is a good term, and it's affecting CD playback as well. I assumed a SS amp would make the experience MORE lively. Getting the Dynacos rebuilt is moving higher up on my list. Bill Tillman took a lot of time to do an excellent listening review his (NOSValves rebuilt) Mk-IVs, and I thank him for that! I've got a Fisher SA-16 amp here (EL-84, tube rectification), all original, that I will try out. Even though it hasn't been rebuilt, I'm guessing it will tell me something.

James, thanks for the offer, but I have one of those doo-hickeys! You're welcome to come by and scratch heads with me anytime!

Dee,

Joshua came to me last night. Not in a dream, in the mail! Thank you, my friend! Lovely note, too!

If the body of the cartridge is nearly touching the record, you have a problem! I know it's a pain, but dialing in VTA, VTF and azimuth can take several hours. Do you have a set-up LP like the Hi-Fi news disc? Without one it is even more difficult--by a HUGE factor!
Get the disc and dedicate an entire afternoon to dialing in your vinyl rig--you're probably nowhere NEAR where you should be!

I can't imagine that the comination of the Blueberry with the amp section of the MAC reciever would be the bee's knees. Did you ever fire up that Fisher amp I pulled out of the console for you? It seems to me that it would be a FAR better match.

Don't give up!

Fini,

The arm running parallel to the LP is just a starting point what really dictates the final setting is cartridge dependent. But really it sounds like you need to first get back to square one if your experiencing similar sound problems from CD's. It sounds to me like the MC integrated and Xtreme are a poor combination. No sense spending countless hours trying to over come a problem with VTA when there is another problem prevalent else where in your system. Once you get the root problem fixed then its time to fine tune your LP system.

Craig

Allan,

Yes, I tried out the SA-16. Nice little amp! I did not give it a thorough listen, though. I will do that now that I have more of a reference in my head (ears) with the Mac.

Good advice, Craig!

I agree with Craig, get either your Fisher or your Dynacos (or both) restored/updated and plugged into your Xtreme! I have absolutely nothing against SS McIntosh amps (I've loved mine, especially the MC250), but like others have said it might be a poor combination with the Blueberry. And we all know how great the little 6BQ5s sound...IMO they're about one of THE BEST in pure sonics and detail!

I'll tell ya, that little single-ended Magnavox 6BQ5 (with a single Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH driver and NOS '51 Sylvania blackplate 5U4G) I borrowed from my brother was about the purest sounding amp I ever used! With a matched pair of new gold pin Ei Elite EL84EG output tubes, it was THE best sounding 2-watter I ever encountered! If I hadn't already been committed to the BEZ 300B at the time, I would've kept that li'l Maggie and maybe had it totally upgraded and modded to the gills, including having it cleaned, polished, with a wooden base wrapped around its chassis, et al. It definately wouldn't have looked like a utilitarian stereo console amp after I was finished with it...oh well.[:(]

Fini,

"and I'm

planning to upgrade (more like have upgraded) my Dynaco MK IVs"

Mk IVs, like most Dynaco's are easy to work on. They were built for DIYers after all and are good amps to learn on.

Just a simple restoration with a couple of slight mods makes a nice

improvement on them and St-70s. On a St-70 it maybe costs $50 in

parts to pretty much replace/upgrade cap/resistor in the amp, and

make a couple of changes in the circuit and PS that helps the bass

response and cleans it up overall while still keeping its general sound

intact.

Shawn

Will someone please explain to this dumb ostrich what the helll you guys are talking about?

What in tarnation is setting the VAT, VTF and azimuth? And how in the helll does this relate to TT players?

Gilbert,

Trust me your better off. It's just another symptom of this sickness we all have [;)]

But really these are all fine tune adjustment to angle your cartridge/stylus. It takes some good setup tools and a test LP to do it properly.

Craig