Looking for a nice quad of outputs for your MC-30s?

Allan Songer

As the soon to be owner of a pair of MC-30's I am certainly interested in these posts - Thanks Allan.

I need to get them setup and do some listening before I start investing in other tubes, but I at least want to have a set of replacements on hand in the event a tube goes out on me.

Keep this stuff coming Allan as you spot it.

Totally a toob noob. [:D]

I made this post with tounge firmly in cheek. These WWII vintage WE tubes new in the box are really for collectors and will sell for HUGE money and might NEVER be used . . .

I picked up my 350B and 274B tubes one-at-a-time and never paid more than $80 for any of them--but I'm afraid those days are long gone . . .

I hear you Alan. What scares me about people buying tubes for that kind of cash is what if one takes a dump soon after being placed in service? It happens... I know of 2- 350B's that gave up the ghost 6 months after being placed in service although these were those licensed replica's but still not a cheap hit to take.

Craig

"I think if I had to spend $1500 to get the great sound out of a set of amplifiers I'd be shopping for different amps myself."

I hear that! It's bad enough that I have to get RCA and GE 6L6 to make these 30's happy. I am holding out hope that the Valve Art 350B is a workable tube in these - since many current production 6L6 and KT66 aren't that good sounding in these amps (at least to my ears). Has anyone tried those out?

Allan,

You mentioned in the past that you weren't fond of the MC-40s. Can you

give me you reasons? I understand it would be your opinion, but am

curious. I just seen a bunch of MC-40s for sale, while the 30s don't

show up as often. Or other McIntosh tube models that you think are

okay, like the various stereo models.

Bruce

Bruce,

It's all a matter of preference. I've owned a few mac amps and preamps over the last few years but IMO, none have come close to the sound I get from my MkIIIs. It's just a different sound. Some love it, some don't. I thought the last MC240 I eventually sold on the forum sounded really good with CDs but could not touch the MkIIIs with vinyl. Not even close. I have no idea why.

Of all the Mac tube gear I've heard and/or owned, so far I've preferred the MC30s. Some folks like the MC60s better. All I know is the Mac sound is not for me.

BTW - Spending that kind of money for tubes is absurd!!!! Tubes can make a difference but................

Gary,

Thanks for the input. It's not like I'm getting any. I may build me

something, so I could do it in stages. The Dynaco is holding its own

right now. With the Merlin, I am very pleased with the sound I get.

Vinyl can only be played in the living room through the Sony and the

JBLs. Most of my time is spent in my office off the bedroom, so Barbara

and I are listening to the Heresys and CDs a lot. At the volume we

listen at, we could probably do with a SET (I am only half joking

here), or an EL84 amp.

Bruce

Gilbert.....Buddy.......

I hope those 350Bs sound GREAT!!![:P][:P]

I suppose you could turn around and sell them before using them. Is your bro-in-law interested in hearing his first tube amps with the best output tubes available? Maybe you guys can cut a deal???

Good luck pal.[8-|]