Best Vocalist

AnalOg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Hayward and John Lodge of the Moody Blues.

After the Moodies took a break from touring and recording, John joined

Justin in the making of the beautiful album BLUE JAYS in 1975 and they

toured extensively in England.

The harmony of the voices of Justin Hayward and John Lodge can not be compared to anyone I know of.

There is no way to pick who is better between Justin and John... They sing as one voice!

Justin Hayward & John Lodge - Blue Jays

01 This Morning

02 Remember Me, My Friend

03 My Brother

04 You

05 Nights Winters Years

06 Saved by the Music

07 I Dreamed Last Night

08 Who Are You Now

09 Maybe

10 When You Wake Up

11 Blue Guitar

Greg

post-17133-13819273700372_thumb.jpg

Interesting thread in that a voice is able to be 'played' only by the owner. A guitar in the hands of Wes Montgomery would be played completely diffently than in the hands of Tony Rice.

Bobby McFerrin comes to mind as one of the finest vocalists around today. He's well educated, vocally facile, idiomatically versatile and armed with a long long list of accomplishments. However, my favorite vocalist is a young woman at my church, Amanda Biggs, who possesses the finest soprano voice I've ever heard - live or on recordings. From opera to pop music, the woman can SING!

Woo

A few more in no particular order.

Female: Grace Slick, Eva Cassidy, Dionne Warwick, Maria Callas, Patsy Cline.

Male: Johnny Cash, Mick Jagger, James Taylor, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, Pavarotti.

Other: Michael Jackson

Best anti-vocalist: Tie between me and Yoko.

I always thought Paul Rodgers (originally with Free - 'All Right Now',

Bad Company, solo, and now interestingly enough now with Queen instead

of the unstoppable Freddy) has a great rock and roll voice.

As well Steve Perry (who was with Journey then went solo) could sing up a storm.

And I agree with Grog - Justin Hayward has an immediately identifiable voice, style and grace that I've enjoyed for years.

For female vocalists, I really like Joan Osborne. Even though she

was a one-hit wonder with 'What if God were One of Us', I find her CD

'Relish' contains an outstanding number of very well recorded tunes

that reflect her different styles. Sadly, everything since is

lacklustre.

Be well. Hamish

Are you asking for a vocalist with range.. or vocalist with depth too? Style also comes into play as well. For some, more style over substance indeed. More so than any instrument, the voice has soo much more expression, so much more it can do.

We all know people maybe even with as few as 1-3 notes we know dead on it is them. The ultimate compliment IMO too. I can think of many this way Paul Mc Cartney, Sting, Sinatra, Michael Buble', Luther Vandross, Josh Groban, Rod Stewart, Stevie Nicks, Gwen Steffani, Jim Morrison, Bob Marley, Tina Turner, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper. Ironically it is the pain and raspiness of some we tend to love too. Others, it is the smoothness of their delivery too. Chris Isak, listen to him croon "No I.... don't wanna fall in love....." (If that does not melt a woman I do not know what does.) Some people I love to hear, I have no idea how they belt it out live? Axel Rose "Welcome to the jungle" Has to be one of the best screaming in your face tunes of my lifetime. Curt Cobains, "Come as you are"......., the AC/DC guy, Zepplin, Billy Idol, Roger Daultry singing at the top of his lungs.. "Don't cry.. don't raise your eyes..It's only teen age wasteland" Still gives me the willies in a good way cranked up! Some are just crooners, some tell stories with not even great range like Randy Travis or Dwight Yokum, but we love em... Some painful heartfelt songs that are with us for a lifetime Like Don McClains American Pie... or any number from James Taylor, Elvis or Johnny Cash. I once heard Roy Oberson tell his story about the story behind "Oh Pretty Woman" he explained being a lonely 18 yr old kid dreaming of the pretty ladies walking the streets (probbaly rich socialites, hookers , or girls still in school when it let out... he said it could of been all three in his mind) lol who he wished would pay attention to him... but at the time he was stuck as being a kid and they would not give him any attention.. What 18 yr old boy growing into a man cruising in a car seeing a pretty woman...has not felt this exact thing...? Tobey Keith, Trace atkins, this new country started with Garth Brooks is a lot different than what I was listening to as a kid.. Groups like STYX, Eagles, and Kiss, of my youth.... or Rob Thomas, Santana, today... I guess my personal list goes on and on...

I am not even sure what catagory to put Jon Anderson of the group YES in here. And try and figure out the lyrics sometimes what the heck are these guys really saying or meaning.. Geddy Lee as well. Take off you hoser!!! lol. Then there are todays great new finds.. Diana Krall, even Norah Jones in Jazz... in the Barbara Streisand tradition of female crooners, like Celine Dion, and Christina Aguilera. Lots of pop stars, some with talent, and some without too. Jessica Simpson, Ashley Simpson, Brittney Spears and Christina, Marc Anthony, Ricky Martin the BSb and NSYNC, have probably sold more CD's than a lot of us would like to admit. Are they ear candy? Yes... and in some of the songs.. pretty darn good too. Averil, Green Day, Good Charlotte, or one song I love "The Beautiful People" cranked up really loud by Marylin Manson.. Somewhere in here also is 2 Live Crew, Howard Jones, Tears for Fears, The Producers, Johnny "Cougar" Mellencamp and a lot I am forgetting too.

One of the great things is, you can like a lot of different artists, too, for different times in your life or different moods. Some great suggestions in here on this topic I will have top check out as well.

Sorry to ramble and unable to pick just one.. I like them all.

Amy, I hope your kidding about best....ABBA??

OK good harmonies.. sang full voice... but best?? I think most choir teachers in your local HS (notoriously just average voices...) could do a cover Karaoke wise..and would be hard to notice much difference in the era of LOTS of delays and overdubs.

No doubt they were a very HUGE commercial success. But best??

It was all the cool clothes at the time, wasn't it? You saw yourself in those thigh high boots?

You are the dancin queen... young and free.. only seventeen............ oh yeahhhhhh LOL.