sales people!!! grrr

Scp53

yes I do.

The main reason i asked him to flip it around is 1) i have my own

subs and I know it can make a drastic affect sometimes and 2) I ve seen

forum members take there rsw's and run them backwards.

also i should note that after the subwoofer was turned around it sounded tighter and less boomy. so in this case it helped.

scp53

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll buy that explanation. Yes by all means, go to his manager (it won't do any good just to talk to the idiot himself) and explain the situation. Tell the guy what a sale and potential future customer they lost. The hope in doing it this way would be that instead of you feeling good and him feeling lousy, maybe the store manager will do something to better the situation for the store, you, and other customers.

Try to put a positive twist in the 'lesson' if you can.

Michael

...2) I ve seen forum members take there rsw's and run them backwards.

also i should note that after the subwoofer was turned around it sounded tighter and less boomy. so in this case it helped.

scp53

I am with you about being upset with a salesman that doesn't appear to want my business. I can also say that I am probably the worst costumer unless you are MY salesman (whom I already told I am looking for the best price on the item I am looking at).

Thanks to the folks here (and the AVS Forum) I can walk in and already know what I plan to buy. I also like to go in at the least crowded times (which appear to be more and more, unfortunately for the high end audio stores) so I don't feel bad about anyone loosing a sale at my expense. I also tell them that "Today I am just checking *it* out and deciding if it's something that I really want." If another customer comes in, I invite them to go help that individual while I sit there and listen to what I came in to audition.

Anyway, I can highly recommend the RSW-15 and the RSW 12. I don't know of anyone that plays their RSW's facing backwards but would be interested in their results if they do it on a regular basis. [:^)]

I work in jewelry sales and many times I get people who are just 'tire kickers.' Example: groups of 15 year old boys in to try on Rolexes. Have we ever sold a Rolex directly to a 15 year old? No. Have we ever sold a Rolex to the 15 year old's parents for them to give to the 15 year old? You bet. Now, I'm not saying that every kid coming in the store gets to try on every Rolex we have. But, I at least answer their questions and get them excited about them.

Being located in a mall, we also have young girls stop in and try on engagement rings every day. The nicer and more accomodating we are to them when they first come in, the more likely they are to come back later when they have a boyfriend. And to me, it doesn't matter if they end up spending $500 or $50,000. Its the satisfaction that they came back because you treated them well and that's $500 or $50,000 that the other jewelry stores in town will never see.

Moral of the story is you never know how your actions might affect a future sale. You'd be surprised how many people are willing to spend more money for better service.

Start Rant

So, Im just gonna say something about retail, I have worked at BB for the past 4 years. HT all the way, when I first started I was a low knowledge employee, now I know about so much more than necessary at this job. I agree with both sides to this, I really do enjoy informing people about High Definition and Home Theater, but if they go to me for info than decide they can go online or Greggs for a cheaper deal, I ended up wasting my time, I know more than half the time when they say "We will be back" they don't and end up going somewhere else because they want the cheapest they can get it, and than 3 weeks later they come back in so they can ask you how to hook it up after they bought it somewhere else? My exact words are "I can send an installer out for a fee and hook it up." and then they get mad because I'm not gonna tell them. Does a mechanic tell you how to fix your car if its broke? No. So let me get this straight you want me to inform you about everything just so you can go somewhere else and purchase it? Not so much, Im all about customer service but seriously when they don't even want to buy it from you whats the point of helping them. And Im not even commision jeeze.

End Rant

At least when I walk to see what is new I

decide what to touch and what to move in the store,because I know the

owners HE HE HE [:P] This is a provilege of knowing the right

people and buying for years at thye same places,supporting local

dealers.

I know how that goes! Just today, I needed to stop in the local

dealer (granted, it is a Tweeter store, since the other high-end dealer

in the area (Raven Hi-Fi and HT) was not opened. However, as as

soon as I walked into the door, and did not even get a chance to say a

word, one of the salesmen came up to me and said "Hey Steve! Long

time since I've seen you in here, come check out these new speakers

that we just got!". He proceeded to sit me down in front of a

nice little two-channel setup consisting of a Krell KAV-400xi

integrated amp, a Krell KAV DVD Standard player, hooked up to a pair of

Focal bookshelf speakers (don't remember the model). Wow, the

imaging, clarity, and detail was just friggan amazing! Not to

mention, the bass response was really good on those speakers (consisted

of a 6.5 inch woofer and a 1-inch tweeter). Very clean and tight

sounding bass. I had to run out to my truck to get a couple CD's

I wanted to try. I was quite impressed. But for the asking

price, I hope it sounds good!

I am all for supporting the local high-end dealer whenever possible.

That's good advice. I would have walked out of that dealer immediately. That's ridiculous. I'm guessing that wasn't a private dealer. I will only go to the private dealer that i have talked about in my other posts. That guy would have probably had no problem with what u asked. Private dealers usually equal classy and willing support. I can't say one negative thing about the dealer i go to because they are the best i ever dealt with.

That's good advice. I would have walked out of that dealer immediately. That's ridiculous. I'm guessing that wasn't a private dealer. I will only go to the private dealer that i have talked about in my other posts. That guy would have probably had no problem with what u asked. Private dealers usually equal classy and willing support. I can't say one negative thing about the dealer i go to because they are the best i ever dealt with.

Yes sir,private dealers serve customers with respect,knowledge and take care of them as they want repeat business.

"oh, and as far as me "considering buying the sub", how the hell would i know if i didnt give it a decent listen?

what if i was a audio geek/tech like i am now but had never heard of klipsch or been on boards that talked about klipsch and the rsw? because i have been on here so long i could buy numerous subs based on peoples posts and generally speaking end up with a good product.

but if you have never heard of a product, much less actually LISTENED to it, how can i say if im even interested in it? is there something wrong with a "thorough" demo?"

There's nothing wrong with a thorough demo and the sales guy's attitude might not have been appropriate, but you yourself said in your first post you'd been in there numerous times to listen to the sub and you'd probably not buy it because you'd rather build something yourself.

You, just like the sales guy figured out, knew you weren't going to buy anything so he lost enthusiasm. I sell mid-fi gear myself and it's hard stay enthusiastic when I know someone is wasting my time. While I'm never rude to my customers, I admit I stop being helpful so they just leave. It shouldn't come as a shock, the salesperson's best interest is probably lining his wallet with green. Now I've learned that if I push people into products that benefit me more than the customer, it usually bites me in the *** in the form of a return.

Frank

Now that sounds reasonable Frank.

When I go into a store, I let the sales person know when they ask If I need help that I am just looking for now. Most of the time, the sales person checks back with me to see if I have any questions yet. Even if I don't buy that day, I get the sales persons card (if he was not pushy and just doing his job). At least 4 times that I can remember, I have went back a couple of weeks later and bought the product I was checking out from the person who helped me from the beginning. Seems like the right thing to do.

I live about 2 hours away from the GoodGuys in Reno, and now they are closing the store. Almost everything in my home was purchased at this store over MANY years. Now what am I going to do. Sometimes living in the boonies is the pits.[ap]

Frank, I'd deal with you no problem..............

Take care

Mike

"oh, and as far as me "considering buying the sub", how the hell would i know if i didnt give it a decent listen?

what if i was a audio geek/tech like i am now but had never heard of klipsch or been on boards that talked about klipsch and the rsw? because i have been on here so long i could buy numerous subs based on peoples posts and generally speaking end up with a good product.

but if you have never heard of a product, much less actually LISTENED to it, how can i say if im even interested in it? is there something wrong with a "thorough" demo?"

There's nothing wrong with a thorough demo and the sales guy's attitude might not have been appropriate, but you yourself said in your first post you'd been in there numerous times to listen to the sub and you'd probably not buy it because you'd rather build something yourself.

You, just like the sales guy figured out, knew you weren't going to buy anything so he lost enthusiasm. I sell mid-fi gear myself and it's hard stay enthusiastic when I know someone is wasting my time. While I'm never rude to my customers, I admit I stop being helpful so they just leave. It shouldn't come as a shock, the salesperson's best interest is probably lining his wallet with green. Now I've learned that if I push people into products that benefit me more than the customer, it usually bites me in the *** in the form of a return.

Frank

Good points and only the truth.Well said

Now the l'ill buddy wants to get revenge for not being served like a king.DIY people who go to stores waste the salesman time and are too cheap to buy anything.I know sales from A to Z and have my little tricks to deal with DIY peons and those who have time to burn and no money to spend. [:P]

I know a high end store that does not tolerate time waste,and where the owner threw the bum out and said to the time waster not to come back. LOL

We are not at the Rat Shack where the low paid employee has to almost lick boots and where the customer is always right.When I sell servers and large gaming PC's I am right and my customers listen.Then we find a just middle where they can buy and not regret but enjoy their purchase.

Great Thread! I too have been in sales, and also have some ideas on how a salesman should act. First, I have helped hundreds and hundreds of people who kicked the tires all the time. I did this because that is what I was paid to do! When I was the manager, the guys under me were paid to do the same. Period, end of story.

Audio demos are technical in nature, and the salesman needs to know the product well enough to show off it high points. I also like small shops that go all out for a customer, even though the customer does not buy at that time. I have even messed with them on purpose! Here is my all time fun story from quite a few years ago.......

I go into the audio shop in jeans and start nosing around. I had been looking for a pair of speakers as my first ever high end (to me) pair of speakers. I started listening and looking at all kinds of stuff and the salesguys really sort of ignored me while I looked. So I saw a pair of Apogee Ribbons that they had on clearance. I was like WOW! that is a price I can live with. I think they were $1500 a pair way back then. So, I ask the guy about them and he tells me about them, and then I listen to them and take my time, and he finally figures this guy is just looking, so he left and said to get him if I needed him. After I was finished listening, I left the listening room and asked him to come in. He was kind of acting a little put out, like I was going to drag him into serious work.
He walked into the room and I said "I'll take them". He did not respond. He figured the way I was dressed that I would never buy anything from that store. He started talking about something (I can't remember after all these years what he said) and I said, "I'll take them". I think his sphincter puckered up by now. He still didn't really get it through his head that I wanted them. So I said," Do you want cash or charge?" He then kicked it into high gear and grabbed the manager and they both got the speakers out for me and helped me put them into my vehicle.

I really enjoyed looking like I couldn't buy a cheeseburger and then buying stuff from them. The speakers turned out to be awesome. My first experience with real high quality sound reproduction.

Anyway, this is the fun I have with sales people since I was a salesperson for so many years. Lots of fun!

Having been on both sides, a true professional would take the time to cater to a potential sale, regardless or not whether you believe the person is a tire kicker.

I have seen guys wearing flannel bush jackets and muddy workboots drop - 3.5 K on " appearance items " for their vehicles like racerbacks, s/s bed rails, tonneau covers, the like.

Same goes for 16-17 year olds with their first vehicle, and want decent stereo gear to go in their first ride. As I say, never judge a book by it's cover.

It is not an audio story, but a car one..

Famer "Joe" walks into a car lot of a friend of mine that his family has owned in a small town since the 1940's. He was covered in pig you know what.. He raises pigs and farms also.

He sais, "My wife liked the white caddilac, can you put a bow on it and deliver it Saturday am?" The dealer who in this small town was used to people like this said, "Yes, we can Joe."

Now I as an outsider, I thought and probably you thought, too, no way... He pulled probably the biggest wad of cash at 17, I had ever seen out of his overalls.. And paid cash at that time on say a 35k car...

I, too, learned a vaulable lesson. Never judge anyone by looks.. Especially at 17,,,

IndyKlipschFan,

True,some people looks may start alarms of suspicion and make believe they do not have the green.Then the sales people who serve them well make sales they would never make with the would be good customers.

I have sold the most expensive gear to epople who look like bums,yes they have money and will buy and quite often.

Everyone is going to be different but I will offer my opinions.

First, I don't care if the potential buyer is flashing his cash or is dressed like a bum, the salesperson should be helpful and make the customer feel comfortable. I don't think it is an unreasonable request to have them turn a sub like the RSW12 around. I have one and they aren't that heavy or hard to move. Now, if the customer asked for the sub to be moved to the back corner, run a 40 ft LFE cable, etc., then I would say that is not reasonable.

I have very seldom went into a high end store expecting to buy anything. That may change when I go to get my HD television early next year. With that said, I was thumbing through my wallet just yesterday and ran across an Ultimate Electronics salesperson's card. You know, I don't remember getting his card but I would go in and ask for him because I know I don't keep things like this for nothing. If he had been rude and a jacka$$ I would have never kept his card, probably wouldn't have even taken it out of his hand. Now, when I go in with a pocket full of cash and a real desire to buy that TV, he will be on the top of my list.

Bottom line, be professional and do your job, no matter what it is! Sell burgers? Do the best you can! Sell audio gear? Do the best you can! If you're commission, don't stare down the end of your nose at a dead sale because you never know when they will come back to buy with money to burn! I don't think this means a salesperson should take rudeness from a customer but I do think a salesperson should never be rude to a potential customer, even if they know they won't be a customer on that day!

D

I'm not much for sales people of any type. Cars, electronics, tools, jewelry, clothes, anything. Leave me alone. Just post the manufacturer specs on your website. I'll read and read to my heart's content, do my own unbiased research, then demo the product myself. Just show me what you want to show me then leave the room. I can't make honest decisions with someone breathing down my neck anyway.

Seems to me the purpose of a sales person is to convince you to buy something you didn't intend on buying in the first place. If you can clearly demonstrate that the product I'm looking at is verifiably crap...well that's understandable, but not usually the case.

I guess I've never been much into service when it comes to products. If it breaks I take it back for a new one. Don't need to spend 30 minutes on the phone talking to someone who knows less than I do, or ten minutes with a floor salesman who just wants a commission. I can find more on the internet about a product in 60 seconds than from 100 sales people combined. Not in it for the personal touch. If I feel warm and squishy about my purchase when walking out of a retail store, then that's one heck of a salesman who must be well paid....and if you pay your salesmen that well then I paid too much for my product.

Mostly exaggerating but the feeling is there.