I have no idea what I'm doing!

crazytubepower

Well, I have been looking for speakers as upgrade bug has been in my blood for awhile, I mean i've had my rf-3's for almost 3 months, haha. There are just some things that dont do it for me on these speakers, and mainly it is the fit and finish. Plus I am willing to buy a better speaker. Well anyway, I have been looking at other brands, such as soliloquy, von schwick (however you spell it), spendor, etc.... And I am liking what I am seeing. I'm looking for floorstanders or mini and sub set up. I was thinking cornwalls, but they may be too large for my modest 11x14 room.

Why in an 11x14' room would you even be thinking about speakers that need to be 6 feet from the back wall and 3 feet from the sides?

My daughter had a pair of Fortes when she was still at home. Fantastic sound even with her Carver front end. Her room was about 13x15.

Rick

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi Crazytubepower,

I have Forte's and Cornwalls, I drive the Fortes with a 80 watt tube amp and I drive the

cornwalls with a 3.5 watt 2a3 SET amp. Both are good. Guess which

I like better. The Corns. More lifelike, bigger soundsage, more

impact and just more musical. Get a pair of Corns for

around 800 dollars and see what you hear !!! If you don't

like them you can sell them at no loss of dollars. But I'm betting

you'll keep them.

The man I bought the Cornwalls from used them in his college dorm

room. Now that's a small room. He liked them so much he bought

another pair and built a third pair.

The speakers you mention are all great, but very high efficiency

speakers let amps work in there best zone of power,

the first few watts.

good listening,

Larry

I built my first amp 49 years ago and it still works

HEY CTP

JUST MY TWO CENTS. I HAVE THE SHANLING AMP PAIRED WITH HERESY'S AND I AM DEFINITELY NOT LACKING IN THE BASS DEPARTMENT. WAIT UNTIL YOU GET THE AMP FIRTS AND TRY IT OUT WITH YOUR RF 3'S, YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED. i HAVE RF3'S IN MY SECOND SYSTEM AND I TRIED THEM OUT WITH THE SHANLING AND IT WAS PRETTY GOOD.

i FIND THE BASS I GET WITH THE HERESY'S IS DEFINITELY NOT BOOMING BUT VERY TIGHT AND ACCURATE. I LISTEN TO MOSTLY JAZZ AND SOME ROCK. THE ACOUSTIC BASS SOUNDS VERY REALISTIC. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY SET UP, I WOULD'NT CHANGE IT ONE BIT.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE AMP AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. DON'T LET ANYONE PUT IT DOWN BECAUSE IT WAS MADE IN CHINA, YOU WILL SEE WHEN IT ARRIVES THAT IT IS ONE NICE PIECE OF GEAR.

DELANO

PS. WHY IS THE POST IN ALL CAPS?

Come on now folks this a nice young man is trying to get some help. Cut the boy some slack.

Lasclas do not lack bass if properly places and powered just to get that cleared up. Almost no stand alone speaker is going to dig super deep with out sacrificing something else where. If you want sub sonic bass your going to have to blend a subwoofer into the mix so I would get the speaker that will do 40hz and up exceptionally well and then go from there. Hey what do you know that is about 95% of the klipsch line up. I say go for RF7's and quit listening to the nay sayers, are own DeanG used RF7's for years with many 20 to 40 watt tubes amps and loved every minute of it.

Hey Dean what was it you called all of are Heritage mid horns back then?

Craig

HEY CTP

JUST MY TWO CENTS. I HAVE THE SHANLING AMP PAIRED WITH HERESY'S AND I AM DEFINITELY NOT LACKING IN THE BASS DEPARTMENT. WAIT UNTIL YOU GET THE AMP FIRTS AND TRY IT OUT WITH YOUR RF 3'S, YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED. i HAVE RF3'S IN MY SECOND SYSTEM AND I TRIED THEM OUT WITH THE SHANLING AND IT WAS PRETTY GOOD.

i FIND THE BASS I GET WITH THE HERESY'S IS DEFINITELY NOT BOOMING BUT VERY TIGHT AND ACCURATE. I LISTEN TO MOSTLY JAZZ AND SOME ROCK. THE ACOUSTIC BASS SOUNDS VERY REALISTIC. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY SET UP, I WOULD'NT CHANGE IT ONE BIT.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE AMP AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. DON'T LET ANYONE PUT IT DOWN BECAUSE IT WAS MADE IN CHINA, YOU WILL SEE WHEN IT ARRIVES THAT IT IS ONE NICE PIECE OF GEAR.

DELANO

PS. WHY IS THE POST IN ALL CAPS?

Check you caps lock button on your keyboard.

If you must experiment with differant brands have a look at Triangle,

the Celius model. A nice used pair should fit your budget. These are

French made and very well engineered. All drivers are designed and made

in house. The tweeter is somewhat of a conical horn configuration.

Effeciency? is 94db, not bad for cones. The owner/designer of Triangle

is himself quite found of horns, naming an Altec model as one of his

favorites. This was my last pair of non-horn speakers after having

LaScallas many years ago. Had the Celius and Fortes 1 at the same time.

Kept the Forte and went on to Corns and Belles. Have never looked back.

As an aside, had both Forte and Forte ll, I much preferred the

originals.

Whoa

dude! - No need to be pissed. - Just pulling your leg a bit. Serious

though, stay with Klispch Heritage and high efficient speakers.

Man, something is wrong with the new forum software if that sounded like I was pissed. [:(]

Cornwalls will work well in your room. After owning RF-3's, you will be

disappointed with the others. Only speaker we are happy with after

listening to Klipsch is the PMC's (transmission line loaded). They need

beaucoup more horsepower and they are more $$, but do sound quite

lovely and have punch up the wazoo. If you are going toob...stick

with Heritage. You may want to wait for the new Cornwalls if you have

the $$ to spend.