Who likes the new forum search capability?

Klipschguy

Man, what a disappointment. Years of posts and valuable info that is very tough to access in a useful manner. I hope Klipsch will get this straightened out.

Andy

I give it a D- I can't fail them because it does search...what/how is searches is beyond me. Mabye it needs a title search vs. text in post search option.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/338004/ShowPost.aspx

Give me time to think about the LP

EDIT: I remebered drag's post about pipes. I searched running | up and for the first time found something I was looking for. It was the last post on the first page of search results.'

EDIT pt II: I'l take MFSL Thick as a Brick, please cuz I know you got it!

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/338004/ShowPost.aspx

Give me time to think about the LP

EDIT: I remebered drag's post about pipes. I searched running | up and for the first time found something I was looking for. It was the last post on the first page of search results.'

EDIT pt II: I'l take MFSL Thick as a Brick, please cuz I know you got it!

Notice I didn't say WHAT LP!!!!![;)] How about "A Song For My Father?" Oh, nevermind. I already gave that one away![:D] I'll find a good one for ya buddy.[;)]

The new search engine works great!!!

You just need to use pipes and Boolean operators! http://www.december.com/unix/tutor/pipesfilters.html

If you aren't finding what you are looking for then your search criterion are not well formed.

Here is the post from the "new forum needs work" thread:

It is easy to mine the results of initial searches and to subsequently mine the results of the secondary searches and to then subsequently mine the results of those searches, and on and on and on!!

The tools are already there!

Simply use pipes! (the "|" character is the [shift "\"] )

A pipe is a tool that allows you to search and then to use the result as the input for the next search and on and on.

The following search will be for attributes rather then specifics, but I hope that the concept makes sense. And since we are not dealing with a 'typed' database, you will want to use specific words or phrases.

Thus, for example, you could search a list for things of type people, and then search the people for those that are, say, male, and then to search the returned list of males for those whose birthdays are in several specified months, and then search returned results for those whose first names are David...or whatever.

people | males | (Birthday EQ (March, June, September)) | David

Once you play with it a few times it should become rather easy!

Hope this helps...

Not trying to knock a free service that Klipsch provides (BTW this forum is great) but drag, while it might work fine it is not at all user friendly. I am a software developer by trade and one of the biggest hurdles is making your super-duper-damn-fantastic product easy enough for the average public school graduate to use. Thus freeing up your 800 help desk phone line.

The goal should be to make it easy enough for my 68 year old mom to use. Intuitive, obvious, easy, simple, etc.

Drag has found a great "work around" but it is hardly ready for prime time. A lot of techno-geeks relish in the fact that they can cajole anything out of a computer while others think they have mystic powers. The blame lies on the developers (general statement for software developers not directed at Klipsch IT staff) for not making stuff idiot proof.

Sorry for the rant. I deal with usability issues every day at work.

Cliff notes version for the Cave man types:

Forum Good! Search Bad!

As presently constituted it's pretty well worthless. I'm sure the

webmaster has some means to tweak this thing so you can at least search

by thread. For over two weeks I've been trying to find a thread

on cartridge suggestions that was posted several months ago and had

numerous replies. No joy.

Other than that and limited utility for those of us using Mozilla, the changeover has been pretty smooth.

You just need to use pipes and Boolean operators! http://www.december.com/unix/tutor/pipesfilters.html If you aren't finding what you are looking for then your search criterion are not well formed.

Once you play with it a few times it should become rather easy!

I just tried the pipe idea, was able to find an old thread that I couldn't find last week! The title of the thread was "Restoring the standard bass horn throat in a '62 pair of Klipschorns," and entering "restoring | bass horn throat" went right to it. Er, it went right to a long list of many responding posts, and seemingly not the thread itself (but see below!). Moreover, it was not easy to figure out what went before and after the first pipe.

I still think it's extremely awkward and dysfunctional. To get and copy the URL of the thread to paste it somewhere else, you can't just copy the title in the link; you have to right-click the title, click "properties," and copy the URL from the properties box. The old software was much simpler -- I only needed to copy the title, and the copy would carry the URL along with it. I could paste it directly in an e-mail, and it would show the title while linking through the URL behind it. Can't seem to do that now!

Fortunately, after doing the search, it appeared that clicking on the title of any individual post actually brought up the entire thread from the beginning! If I'm right about that, the new search function is actually bringing up whole threads, not just individual posts.

Larry

The pipes allow you to get by, but not as good as the old.

I also do not believe I like the old just because it was the old. The thing I liked about the old search was that you could search using a few key words and because it was sorted by date, you could instantly tell if there had been any new discussion on your favorite topics.

This also worked well while searching for new "for sales" on any specific models.