Seeking advice - considering selling my Klipsch setup

dboxmeyer

Due to a new house and a wife who isn't crazy about big black speakers, I'm considering selling my current speaker setup and going with something smaller...

I currently have:

Front: KG 5.5 (Black)

Center: KV 2.2 (Black)

Rear: KG 3.5 (Black)

Since everything is in excellent condition (maybe some very minor scratches) can anyone help me estimate what I should expect to get for these if I were to sell them? I really have no idea of a fair price or what to expect and it factors into my decision making since I want to see what I can expect to put towards a new system if I decide to sell these babies. I would be very sad to see them go!

Any input would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

It's hard to say. I bought my KG3.5s new from Audio King in '96 for $279 a piece. I was thinking about selling them, but found they were going on ebay for $200 a pair, so it didn't seem worth it. Used gear, unless it's somewhat current is always a tough sell. As a set I'd expect to fetch $500 - $600 for the five speakers, so if possible, I'd just keep them.

If you really would rather keep them price them high to show the wife you are willing to try. What I mean is ask what you want or have to have to make it worth losing them. If someone buys them then you got good money. If they don't sell you get to keep them. I've done this a few times. It has bitten me a couple too.

HF

If you really would rather keep them price them high to show the wife you are willing to try. What I mean is ask what you want or have to have to make it worth losing them. If someone buys them then you got good money. If they don't sell you get to keep them. I've done this a few times. It has bitten me a couple too.

HF

Question....

Who / what has been with you longer? Your wife or speakers? If you tell me the speakers and are willing to sell them when you really don't want to, I'm going to suggest that you stand your ground.

That is just something I don't understand is why when guy meets girl, girl meets big ugly speakers, speakers meet want adds.

I am taking prices out of the 1996 AUDIO magazine Oct issue. Retail prices are:

kg 5.5 - $1000 pr

kg 3.5 - $658 pr

kv 2 - $279 each

I'd probably try to get half of what they were purchased for. Not sure if selling as a set or piece-meal is the way to go, but this certainly sounds like a decent set-up. Too bad about the wife, as this is a big sticking point here too. (Heard, not seen). Good luck, but here's hoping you can keep 'em!

NP - Helloween - Better Than Raw

Thanks for all the helpful advice! The price points and research resources is most helpful, I feel like I can ballpark their value now. Withr egard to the comments around convincing the wife they should be kept - we're working with an interior designer at this point, so I'm outnumbered! Nonetheless, I might look to keeping them and putting them to use in our basement (finished) - I'm just not sure I would get much use of them down there. In any case, I really appreciate all the helpful input!

When my second child was born my wife asked me to move my stereo room upstairs so that we could have three bedrooms. Now she complains that I spend too much time upstairs. Move your stuff to the basement and continue to enjoy it. For cryin' out loud it's your house too.

HF

Withr egard to the comments around convincing the wife they should be kept - we're working with an interior designer at this point, so I'm outnumbered! Nonetheless, I might look to keeping them and putting them to use in our basement (finished) - I'm just not sure I would get much use of them down there. In any case, I really appreciate all the helpful input!

You are paying the interior designer. Put your foot down and tell her to work with them.

That's just what interior designers want you to do, m00n. He'd be playing into his hand. They thrive on conflict. No one said marriage was easy (Lord knows). Say, "OK, dear," then blow her off. Act like you don't understand English. Start wearing her bra. Yep, keep 'em off-balance.

That's just what interior designers want you to do, m00n. He'd be playing into his hand. They thrive on conflict. No one said marriage was easy (Lord knows). Say, "OK, dear," then blow her off. Act like you don't understand English. Start wearing her bra. Yep, keep 'em off-balance.

That is too funny. Great advice though. ROTFLMAO

dboxmeyer,

This is all very simple. The problem is that your wife does not like having 5 speakers in the room that are all in a black finish.

Consider replacing them with just two K-Horns.

The logic is as follows. They have nice wood finish and fit nicely into the corners of the room. There are only two of them (you really don't need the other three), so you have already made a good-faith-effort to consolidate.

Now if you can convince your wife with this logic (practice in front of the mirror first), let us know.

Good luck,

-Tom

Wife stuff is a bummer.

I encourage all you considering engagement to get the huinting, fishing, sports or HIFI stuf in the pre nuptual at least verbally.

RB-75 with a 12 inch sealed front firing sub (boy they are tough to implment for music) on nice stands can be pleasing to look at.

If I ever spend money on rears again I put "in walls" in place.

I cannot critically listen to rear channels anyway.

Good Luck

I would say sell it, get what you can and give in, then in a few months buy a new RF7 pair, RC7, w/ 2 RB7 and a RSW15. (kinda like they said above). Your wife says its about compromise when she asks you to sell your current speakers, then in a few months you say its about compromise when you buy your new stuff. Good luck