yup, Bose vs Klipsch PART II

colterphoto1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning the poor soul that I am decided to wait in line oustide Best Buy in the hopes of

buying an Xbox 360.... I was within 3 people of getting one [:(] , however

having stood there for several hours in the very cold morning hours I

decided to walk into BB and shop around, maybe get the HDTV DLP for the

360 later in the future.

This BB had the weirdest walk-in surround sound experience you could

imagine. It was a octagonal shaped cubicle roughly 5ft in

diameter with an lcd touch pad to select the systems. The

speakers they had to demo were a few yamies and of

course Bose. In my honest opinion this setup potentially hurts

Bose sales since you can actually demo other speakers in an a small

enclosed enviroment and it is painfully obvious how truly

deficient the cubes really are in a surround sound enviroment.

Increasing the volume does not help.[+o(]

I have never heard a bose 5.1 setup in this way even with the true center

channel.... the Yammies by far sounded better. Anyone who says

that

Bose is worth a couple grand is most def of their rocker. No excuses.

Joe.

The saga PART II

So I go over to my buddy's bachelor pad last night to check out his system and some new DVD's.

Here's our history. He is an old HS buddy of mine, played in the same band. Started with cheapo components and Altec speakers (Me Model 7, he got 9's). Our systems and apparently our hearing changed over the years.

So now he's got a 52" Pioneer Elite screen suspended at an angle over his mantle piece, Black cubes hidden behind for 'TV sound'. An entire rack of Elite components looks pretty impressive. Still has the Technics SL1700 Turntable, dual cassette deck, but added CD player/burner, Elite DVD and Receiver. Doens't understand the firewire or optical hookups.

The killer was the speakers. His LR 'mains' (if you could call 3" white cubes that) are both on the same side of the screen on the right wall. Where we sat to watch his HT (again ????) the 'right main' was behind a cubbyhole in the wall. No center channel speaker at all. Two white cubes sets were behind us and clearly more pronounced than the mains. There was some more cubes on the stairwell, kitchen, seemed to be a set in every room , but no clear stereo or 5.1 practice anywhere in the place.

How can I describe the horribly misguided bass module? Terrible, humpy response, boomy without any real balls. He played the Roger Waters 'In the Flesh' and it just made my flesh crawl. I watched bits of a couple videos, but Bryan Ferry Live in Paris was almost unlistenable.

There was friggin 3" cubes all over the condo.

I'll give him credit, for a three story unit, he'd used wireless units of some sort to send sound to every level in the place, so with an old receiver on every floor, there was sound (?) everywhere. But it was lousy, no stereo image anywhere and the funky bass.

He had one Klipsch speaker. In in-ceiling IW50 in his new marble bathroom. Best sound in the place.

Sorry buddy, Bose and your speaker placement both have much to be desired. I was glad to get home. I guess I'll go over there if I need to take a dump.

Michael

You can scan though magazines and put together a nice condo, nifty furniture, cool TV's and all that stuff. But you can't develop a good ear by buying what you see in magazines. Face it, people with no artistic discernment, tin ears, and bad taste need things to spend their money on, too. That's why there is a place in the world for Pontiac Aztecs, iPods, Hillary Duff CD's, hip-hop, and yes-- Bose speakers.

ROFLMAO!!!

The saga PART II...He had one Klipsch speaker. In in-ceiling IW50 in his new marble bathroom. Best sound in the place....Sorry buddy, Bose and your speaker placement both have much to be desired. I was glad to get home. I guess I'll go over there if I need to take a dump...

Far to funny Micheal... I'll now be a 'stand-out' in traffic as I LMAO all the way home (50 miles)

Michael,

I think this gut might be savable.!! You'll have to be ginger with him, but an intervention, (with love, kindness, and understanding), may work. His redeeming quality seems to be that he is not afraid to dump some cash. He might go for one of the smaller Reference systems.

There's always hope!

Michael,

Those placement issues are cracking me up. I can just picture this guys place with those cubes everywhere but where they should be. I can also relate to this as some of our best friends have a Bose system in their basement theater. Not too long ago, I was looking around a bit at his equipment and placement (he does have a 5.2 setup) and happened to ask him where his bass module is. He replied by telling me that he has two of them and they are in the wall, behind the drywall. He said that they actually sound better like this. I had to agree...

David

I know i'm kind of late here, but spkrdctr u are most likely but sadly correct. My aunt an uncle have bose system like $1,000 for 5 little speakers and a sub and that receiver doodad, and they just swear by it, even though they never heard anything else. That's why people buy bose to. It sounds good because they didn't hear anything else better if their ears can even hear anything better for that matter. I never once had them listen to my system because of the remark that colt got. O well for the rest of us that have good ears to hear excellent sound, hallelujah. *Klipsch* slaughters bose in a heartbeat. HAHA. I love dissing bose. They are my pet peeve in audio.

Bose owners will never admit they don't like the product, they have too much money and emotion invested to admit they may have made a misteak (sic).

Ask them how often they actually sit down and listen to them for music. Usually they don't, they're just for backround noise and TV. People that really like their system find time for music (as opposed to Muzak).

"Well this Bose might sound pretty good. Panaray. "

First version Panaray, I think they're up to the MKIII version now. These are quite popular in Europe.

They use the same basic HF driver that you heard in the Jubilee, but with the 1.4" throat (which gives better HF dispersion).

The set shown are the 90X40 models. Available in various different patterns, this one being the most useful for small portable applications.

The MF horn crosses at 200hz (requires 160hz EQ in the electronic crossover), the HF at 1.6Khz (requires lift above 8Khz), flat to 40hz with the subs shown.

The MF horn is driven with a quad manifold, similar to the MCM1900, but with four of the Bose 4-1/2" drivers.

Each LF cabinet is a 4 ohm load, so you need two stereo amps per side for tri-amping the stack.

LF is 103dB/2.83V with both cabinets driven. MF is 104dB. HF is 107dB~110dB (depends on horn pattern).

I think the stack is under just 2' wide, a bit more than 2' deep, and if you stack the LF cabinets on their sides the whole shebang will fit under a low ceiling. They can stack up tall enough that you can stand in front without blocking the central axis of the HF horn (unless you play for the NBA).

A shot of the newer versions (cosmetic differences), shows the MF manifold out the back (with a heatsink on the magnets).

bose_large.gif

Hey, it's not bad everywhere. At my local Best Buy a few employees tell me that they sell as much as 4x more Klipsch stuff than Bose. And the Klipsch setup here is actually larger than the Bose, and in their TV section they show off their stuff with theater seats, a Logitech Harmony, and the largest Synergy stuff they could get to surround you. Too bad all Best Buys aren't like this.

I think I've repeated this argument with my girlfriend over and over

again. She seems to think Bose is the end all be all of audio

greatness. I think women just have a weird thing for bose because they

are "cute" and go along with an ikea set up. She also despises my set

up, which is the entire Reference 7 set up, "she can't hear the

difference" she says. I guess that what we get for living in the age of

the IPod, where everything has to be tiny.

When I was working as a salesman at Goodguys, we used to have Bose reps

come out and give us product classes and his speech went something like

this :

"You know the guy who comes in here and has a great ear and knows what

he wants? Well thats not our guy, our audience consists of folks who

just want no hassle and want something that looks luxurious"

The rep actually said that his company is for the ignorant and they

know they can't compete with actual audiophile quality equipment. The

point is Bose's whole approach is they don't care what we (people who

take massive pride in their listening pleasure) think, because they

don't consider us a market for their products. They want to dominate

the Home theater in a box crowd. Cept' their crap looks nicer and costs

more. We're basically to bose what california is to Republicans and

Democrats, they just couldn't care less what we have to say.