Would you paint your speakers if you could?

HTADDICT

If you had the option to change the appearance of your speakers, would you sacrafice the originality of them to satisfy your tastes? I've always thought about painting my speakers piano gloss black, I'm an autobody technician and belive me, makeing these look good is about 99% below my skill level, as I work on many high end cars as well as painting semi's, boats and motorcycles. Not only could I paint them piano gloss black, I could paint them any color I wanted. The only reason I have never done this is because they would lose their originality, but when you think of it - who cares, it's just speakers, they are mine, and that's what I do for a living. Why not put a beautiful finish on them, everyone wants one on their car, why not on my speakers? We're always looking for the next upgrade, wether it is spikes or dean g's crossovers, why not premium finishes?

Any opinions on this?

FYI: I now have 6 rf-7's - read my second post.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote no. A big NO.

Do not paint them. Rather, put some effort into preserving the original wood.

There is some notion that old stuff will be converted to a high tech look by a coat of flat black. This is nutso.

I have a gripe that the Klipsch factory has been too silent about follow-up finishing and preservation. So we get quustions about wood finishing. E.g. is this, that, or the other product at HD good. Maybe some old time finish made of a magic elixor?

I have some Belles, Forte, and Quartets in walnut. In mny view, they are a magnificent examples of veneer work.

This is somewhat an issue which is not discussed enough. PWK did it right in putting the horns in a good setting.

Gil

I used clear minwax clear polyurethane over stained wood. I also used PPG clear polyurethane on my Vette base coat clear coat. The surface is the key as it must be flat and perfect. On my speakers the wood grain after about six months settled and the grain showed up real nice. Something must be applied to the surface to make it inert. Then again the grain with "automotive" colors opens up a new realm of design.

Enclosed pic:

post-15317-13819276245356_thumb.jpg

I would say paint em'. If you are completely nuts about originality of a Klipsch speaker I wouls say don't do it. I love klipsch speakers and painted a pair of Cornwall Black. I later sold them on ebay easily.

Sure the Black doesn't have that "old" original look but you know, I don't listen to the Klipsch heritage stuff because they look unique. Infact, many women would walk into room and think a Heritage klipsch speaker is flat ugly. Guys you can't argue with me on this because I have seen it first hand.

Paint em man. I would love to see your results. I have painted several speakers now. I don't sand down the corners or edges.

jc

I have bid on used, but otherwise "as-new" cherry RF-35s with the intent of painting them black if I won them [:o]

btw,

...Infact, many women would walk into room and think a Heritage klipsch speaker is flat ugly. Guys you can't argue with me on this because I have seen it first hand... jc

[;)] Not only do I agree with you.. I, myself, actually think that some of the old Heritage speakers have a kind of 'home-made' look that I don't exactly prefer, regardless of performance... add to that the fact that I enjoy sleeping with a woman who REALLY doesn't like that look, and it's easy to see there are no Heritage series speakers in my immediate future.

Well I have done both.

I have a HIP-II that was raw birch that I spray painted black lacquer (from a spray paint can) I put on several layers but left it so the wood grain can still be seen, I have a pair of Cornwall's that were covered by what appears to be a black formica type product (super easy to clean BTW), I have another pair of raw birch Cornwall's that had a dark stain on them that I re-painted flat black (no visible grain), and a pair of raw birch Heresys that I have not done anything with yet.

I have 3 untouched walnut Heresys and 1 untouched '64 walnut vert Cornwall. I was thinking about painting the vert Cornwall but decided against it because it is a rare speaker.

So my big picture plan is to refurb the existing walnut Heresys and re-finish the remaining ones to match to have a nice matched set of 6 Heresys. I do not intend to do anything further with any of the Cornwalls.

So in the end it is up to you. If you have generic Cornwalls, Heresys, etc.. then why not. They are after all your speakers and need to fit into your space. I would try and find another option that you can live with if it is one of the more rare speakers.

In car speak terms you could repaint a plain jain classic Mustang to any color you wanted without affecting the value too much unless it was a Hertz rental or Shelby in which case changing the color scheme would kill the value.

Laters,

Jeff

Yes I do have rf-7's, and 5 minutes ago I just purchased my third set, now I have 6 rf-7's.

Here's why I am contemplating this, My black set I purchased brand new, my second set I purchased was used in cherry, with a cherry center channel, this works with my room because the wall they are up against is going to get painted black. But the set I just purchased 5 minutes ago is maple, I could either leave them alone or do them in piano gloss black, now these are not real wood but veneer's, and when I get done with them they would be flawless in every way that flawless means. I would do them in ppg global 789 toner black, (same black as on many black vehicles) with ppg global clearcoat. They would look much better than the finish on your vehicle because mine would be cut and buffed to a mirror-like gloss. SHOW finish! There seems to be alot of debate about how to do this, but in my field it is second nature. Staining and varnishing however is different, and unless you were going for the furniture grade look, varnish-is far inferior to base-clear. Not even in the same stratosphere!

So now that I've purchased the maple ones, this question starts to get all to real for me. Just so you guys know here's what I have:

front l&r: Cherry RF-7's

Center: Cherry RC-7

Surrounds: Maple RF-7's

Back surrounds: Black rf-7's

Front effects: RB-10's

Now what to do?

I don't know if this will change any of your opinions--If I am not mistaken, the original poster has 4 RF-7's. {edit: then again it could be a rhetorical question [;)]}

Just thought I'd add... If after painting your RF-7s (if that is what they are), you find yourself unhappy with the appearance, I would be happy to purchase them from you...

err, ah, at an 'adjusted' price to reflect the un-holy custom paint, of-course [;)]

{EDIT: Maple? maybe someone here will be willing to step up and offer an otherwise eqaul pair of black RF-7s for you to paint instead... }