K Horns in bad corners. . .how bad?

tidmack

Folks,

I truly hope that a potential K-Horn user will not look at this discussion and conclude that anything less than a 25x40 ft room (or whatever) will be inadequate to enjoy a pair of K-Horns. Although overall room size is important, it is not the only issue (or solution) in room acoustics.

My own experience is living in a 12 x 22 ft room that opens onto a kitchen, hallway and front entry (making it seem larger). I added a false corner (half of a corner, actually) and l placed them along the long wall so I am at a 45 deg angle from each. This has been fantastic. It became even better, when I added a center. I enjoy these speakers and I would never try and use anything else and then try to supplement with a sub.

I use these to listen to music (well-recorded music and played at realistic levels). Perhaps I am happy because I am not trying to play sound (or movies) at killer levels or listen to stuff that is recorded with an exaggerated bass.

Corners are important, the other features of the room are also helpful but not as important. If it is an issue, then install a false corner. K-Horns are wonderful speakers (yes, I am biased). Please don't shy away from them because of the comments being made.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Absolutey correct. I don't think anyone is saying that Khorns sound horrible in any room. I for one am just simply stating my preference. Others are trying to jam there preference down everyones throat like its the only way. As PWK would say Bullshit!

Oh and I'd say by your description your room is pretty darn nice actually. Anytime you can get Khorn 22' apart and point at your listening position your doing pretty darn good.

Craig

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my Klipschorns in dozens and dozens of rooms in many different

apartments and houses over an 18-year period. They've sounded good

everywhere but there is no substitute for a big room. That's when they

can really sound their best. Anyone who thinks they sound great in a

small room may be correct, but if he had them in a bigger room, they'd

be even better.

I've also found that nothing can compare to a high ceiling. My best

advice is, if you have a two-story house to work with, knock out the

ceiling/floor separating the two levels. (Best to do this while your

wife is away.)

I have had mine in a 24' L shaped living room with beam ceiling (sound great), 17' x 17 ' apartment (not very good), 25' x 25' living room with high ceilings (best sound), and the present room 24' x 12' (sound great with lots of tricks)

JJK

My own experience is living in a 12 x 22

ft room that opens onto a kitchen, hallway and front entry (making it

seem larger)........placed them along the long wall so I am at a 45 deg

angle from each. This has been fantastic.

I use these to listen to

music (well-recorded music and played at realistic levels). Perhaps I

am happy because I am not trying to play sound (or movies) at killer

levels or listen to stuff that is recorded with an exaggerated bass.

i have exactly the same room / same experience]

While I really like and admire the La Scala/Belle and the gap between these two speakers and the K'horn can close in certain rooms, in a large room with adequate breathing space, the Klipschorn evolves into another animal entirely.

Somehow in a good room the Klipschorn becomes part of the room, or is it the other way around? The sound envelopes you in a fashion that, in my view, gives some 5.1 systems a run for their money. The top to bottom coherency is almost palpable. There is a WOW! factor with the Klipschorn that even other loudspeakers costing many thousands of $$$ more can't replicate.

Like any high-end loudspeaker, to extract the best out a Klipschorn involves compromise and planning. But I have heard Klipschorns in smaller rooms with poor corners - they sound okay there as well. It's just that their potential isn't being tapped.

My own experience is living in a 12 x 22 ft room that opens onto a kitchen, hallway and front entry (making it seem larger)........placed them along the long wall so I am at a 45 deg angle from each. This has been fantastic.

I use these to listen to music (well-recorded music and played at realistic levels). Perhaps I am happy because I am not trying to play sound (or movies) at killer levels or listen to stuff that is recorded with an exaggerated bass.

i have exactly the same room / same experience]

Duke,

It sounds like you live in a raised ranch also. Actually my Winter DIY projects will be to measure/listen/install some room treatments. I am going to make it even better ....

Good Luck,

-Tom

Mark,

I know of someone who actually did that. His reasoning, in part, was that it provided a rock solid image.

It is interesting to note that when doing that, the room acoustics problems are actually increased. Having two speakers, packs the room modes (standing waves) more closely together. This gives a more even distribution of SPL as a function of both frequency and location. With a single speaker, you lose some of that advantage.

Good Luck,

-Tom