New Khorns

toomanyspeakers

At the end of October I ordered a new pair of Khorns and was told that it would take about a month to get them. Well they finally arrived last week. They are everything that I had expected. I did notice that pictures of the newest models show that the neck piece between the bass bin and the upper horn section had been eliminated. Mine still have the longer neck piece as with the older model.

I am wondering if I really bought the newest version or not?

I am the guy that was ordering new Cornwalls about two months ago until I found out that I couldnt get them for quite a while.

Dan,

Congratulations..........you have the top of the line dream speaker! Plus since you stated

"They are everything that I had expected" I'd say just enjoy them.........you lucky dog!

Heck of a nice Christmas Present you gave yourself! Please post some Pictures of your system,

and update your profile, when you can!

Mine still have the longer neck piece as with the older model.

I am wondering if I really bought the newest version or not?

It's the old 2005 model, as compared to the cosmetically revised

one. In other words, they look like the classic version, but

sound just like the latest one given no internal changes were made (that i recall reading about).

So it becomes a question of what you expected to get, what the dealer

"promised" to get you, and what you actually got. Personally, I'd

prefer the revised ones...

If you have any concerns, you could PM Amy at the beginning of next week, and she'll look after you.

ROb

PS: Congrats on a great purchase!

I like last year's KHorn better too, from pictures anyway. I

would only worry about it if the dealer specifically told you that you

were getting the very latest model. From what I understand,

changes are mostly cosmetic, right? There's something about the

wall seal as I recall, but nothing $10 of pipe foam won't address.

Congrats! Absolutely fabulous to have a new pair of Khorns.

I don't know what the date was when they made the model change.

I also prefer the classic looks of the model you received.

I got the first AK-4 update kits they made, in November, 2002, and believe that was around the time they started production of the new AK-4 K-horns, AS-4 La's and AB-4 Belles. I am not aware of changes to the network, drivers or wire since then.

I, too, prefer the classic B over the new appearance, and wish they'd go back to it for K-horns. The new La Scalas look fine, probably because they'd never had the riser.

The new speakers were built in November

.... My wife got to pick the finish which was medium oak.

November 2005 is about as current as you can get, esp since Klipsch

mentions they made the switch in 2005. No oak mentionned though...

In 2005, the company made some

minor cosmetic and functional revisions to this legendary speaker,

including the elimination of the inset collar, or spacer, between the

upper and lower cabinets for a cleaner aesthetic appearance. A horizontal wall seal was added to improve the low frequency horn's connection to the wall.

Available in a cherry, walnut or black ash wood veneer finish...

You think by selecting oak, they figured you wanted the old look? Or perhaps the store used the old OAK code....

BTW, just guesses on my part...

ROb

When you get a chance, Dan, could you kindly post some pics of the Oak finish. That is one of the finishes I'm considering for myself.

Thanks.

P.S. Don't be concerned about the 2005/2006 model changes. I believe Klipsch were still making the cosmetically 'older' model up until now. I don't know when the official cosmetic changes will take effect. So in effect, you did get the latest model at the time of manufacture. If it concerns you - ask for a discount...

" I also prefer the "B" style look with the riser / space between the top and bottom sections. I don't think they made an aesthetic improvement by eliminating it. It was probably done for cost savings." - JMON

I agree; I too like the "older" Khorn with it's "riser / spacer" better then the new version.

With respect to the La Scala, however, I think the newer version looks much more handsome.

The Heresy III looks the same as the Heresy II, with the exception of the arched risers.

-H2G