Vintage tube amps...best of all time

steamer

Thanks for the link. Interesting.

I had an ST-70 for a short time, but was not happy with it because this particular one had mechanically noisy transformers. Just a crap shoot on Ebay, I suppose, finding a good one.

From my very limited observation, the ST-70 is certainly "venerable" in it's regard. And there seem to have been a jillion of them built, I personally would not put it in the top six. The Dynaco Mark III monoblocks, I think would be a stronger contender for the list in terms of quality. I think there were just so many ST-70s built, that makes it impressive.

I think I would add to the list the Fisher classic receivers, like the 500C. Fisher has it's own signature sound as does Scott and Eico. Very sweet to my ears.

Thanks for the link. Interesting.

I had an ST-70 for a short time, but was not happy with it because this particular one had mechanically noisy transformers. Just a crap shoot on Ebay, I suppose, finding a good one.

From my very limited observation, the ST-70 is certainly "venerable" in it's regard. And there seem to have been a jillion of them built, I personally would not put it in the top six. The Dynaco Mark III monoblocks, I think would be a stronger contender for the list in terms of quality. I think there were just so many ST-70s built, that makes it impressive.

I think I would add to the list the Fisher classic receivers, like the 500C. Fisher has it's own signature sound as does Scott and Eico. Very sweet to my ears.

I have heard good things about Dynaco.

I would really like to set up a second system (Klipsch based) and go with some vintage tube gear from ebay or audiogon.Maybe something to restore,lots of options.

Greg

tell you what. if you are interested in a bargain second system tube amp.. you should jump on born2rockU's Baldwin amp he's got on Ebay.

I had one of these for a while, rebuilt by the same fellow as did Craig's. It is one awesome amp at a bang for the buck champ price.

Top 6 Tube Amps Ever Built

Guide Picks

Your Guide, Anthony Armstrong

From Anthony Armstrong,
Your Guide to Stereos.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

I recently was asked to contribute some knowledge about the best vintage tube amps that I'd ever heard. The gentleman who asked was writing a piece for Men's Journal (to be on newsstands August 15th) about which vacuum tube amplifiers the budding "retro audiophile" should look to buy, refurbish and put into his system. I figured that I should share that same insight with my regular readers. So, here they are: classic tube amps to die for...

1) Marantz 8B (1960's)

This was THE amp to own in the 1960s. Produced from roughly 1962-1966, it's a benchmark product. When you hear it you'll realize that its pretty much beyond criticism. The real magic kicks in when you start using high-sensitivity speakers, and a preamp/source combination that is up to the 8B's standard. That's a VERY tough bill to fill. 35 of the sweetest watts you'll ever hear.

2) McIntosh MC-225 (1960's)

Sold from 1961-1967, the MC-225 wasn't even the flagship of the McIntosh line! It was fairly affordable (about $198.00 in 1960's), providing an excellent 25 WPC stereo, or 50 WPC as a monobloc. With nearly flat frequency response of 18Hz-30kHz, it would rival some of today's best amplifiers in that measure. But it wasn't about numbers then, it was the sound. Silky smooth, and powerful, this was a heck of a piece to pair with some Klipsch horns and have a serious party.

3) Dynaco ST-70 (early 1960's)

Dynaco is a name most audiophiles have heard and will instantly recognize. They manufactured several audio products in the 1950's, 60's and 70's. Their equipment was available as both factory-wired and as DIY kits. The most famous product was the ST-70 amplifier of which over 300,000 units were manufactured (factory-wired and kit combined). For a bargain-basement price and some sweat-equity, you could have an amp that rivaled anything on the market at the time.

4) Magnavox amps powered by 6BQ5 tube (1960's)

Magnavox made several amps powered by the 6BQ5 vacuum tube. Today, Magnavox is just a manufacturer of televisions, owned by Phillips. In the '50's and '60's they were a manufacturer of high quality amplifiers. At the beginning of the tube and radio era all they did was manufacture audio equipment. Up through the sixties, Magnavox engineers were known for solid designs and solid performance. If you can find an old 135 or 137 model, get it and fix it!

5) Scott 280 (1950's)

Scott 280 was a 72-watt monster made from 1957-1959. It was sold as a monobloc, meaning two were needed for stereo sound. It is the most powerful Scott piece made. It had distinctive cast aluminum end-caps and a cabinet with logos and removable grille. Way ahead of its time, it produced high-current, could be adjusted to suit your loudspeaker with its variable damping control, and had "Dynamic Power Monitor" output protection. Bulletproof.

6) Heathkit KU-45 (late 1950's - early 1960's)

Not a power amplifier per se, it was technically an integrated amplifier. No matter. These beautiful, hand-built Heathkit receivers from the golden years of electronic kit building are super-rare. From the late 1950s to early 1960s, this was the "cat's meow." This well built stereo receiver had some muscle, too, with four 7189 output tubes. With features like AM and FM/FM Stereo, phono, tape, aux 1, and aux 2 inputs, you could even use this as the basis for a modern digitally-based system.

I'm sorry, this guy just doesn't do it for me. Yeah - top 6 vintage of all time, and he puts the Mc225 in over the Mc30? Makes no sense. He talks about the "muscle" of 7189? And a reciever/integrated? Bo-freakin-zo!!

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your response to my list :-).

I did a lot of deliberating over whether to include the MC-30 over the '225 but in the end, I chose the 225 for the following reasons:

1. In a direct comparison of the '30s vs. the 225 with a pair of KG4's I thought the '225s was simply a better fit, and based on subsequent opportunities to listen, I continued to enjoy the '225 more. The '30's are no slouch, but as subjective as this subject is, I would not dismiss your choice of the '30's as a better amp. I would simply say that to my ear, in my listening rooms, the '225 was my choice.

2. Additionally, based on a quick survey of the availability of units for rehab/purchase, there were more '225s available on a national level. Now, that may not be the case anymore, and it could have been a momentary thing.

The point of the article was to give good, reasonable advice to new "tubies."

As to your beef with the Heathkit unit, it was a handsomely appointed piece with more than adequate power.

And remember, these are the best vintage amps that "I'VE" heard...The debate over which classic tube pieces are best is almost like arguing religion.

Warmest Regards,

Anthony Armstrong

The HK Citation II nearly made the list. Definitely a great classic piece.

The only one that I heard, turns out was a heavily mod'ed one, and I didn't want to give new "tubies" a recommendation on that unit, because again, my experience was that the unit in question was from an original.

Warmest Regards,

Anthony Armstrong

Anthony, as subjective as the subject is, I think you picked some very nice amps. I doubt you could get a room full of audiophools and have them each write their Top 6 favorite vintage tube amps and have any of the lists match perfectly.

I would venture to say that your list is probably about as good as anyone elses. But mine would have looked a little different.[:)]

-Steve

I guess the lowly Scott 299 series isn't worthy. Should have at least made the list based on price today. I've got $600 invested in mine and I'm not sure you could beat the sound without having to spend way more. Maybe I'm wrong though...

Just my 2 cents...

• Like 1

Heh, well... small internet, no? I still wonder how 7189 get described as muscular, though. Then again, I saw very similar copy here:

http://www.audiotubes.com/amps.htm

HEATHKIT KU-45 VACUUM TUBE RECEIVER This is a a beautiful, hand built Heathkit receiver from the golden years of electronic kit building....late 1950s early 1960s. This well built stereo receiver has some muscle, too, with four 7189 output tubes. All tubes have been tested and replaced where needed. Features AM (wide & narrow settings), FM, FM Stereo, EM87 tuning eye tube, switchable MX filter, phono, tape, aux 1, and aux 2 inputs. It's even in the optional oiled walnut wood case. There are a few scratches on the front panel but otherwise is a very clean unit.

Ben Said "I'm sorry, this guy just doesn't do it for me.  Yeah - top 6 vintage of all time, and he puts the Mc225 in over the Mc30?  Makes no sense.   He talks about the "muscle" of 7189?  And a reciever/integrated?  Bo-freakin-zo!!"

Believe it or not, there are people (me included ) who would have paused if he chose the MC 30 over the Mc 225. It's all a matter of preference. For the music I listen to, and the sound qualities I enjoy, I prefer the Mc225. I have owned Mc 30s and yes they are wonderful - just not as wonderful as the MC225! I would certainly include the MC 30 over the ST 70.

Anyway others that I have owned that i would add to the list would be the Scott 299 ( i happen to prefer the sound qualities of the D perhaps because of the output tubes!) and the Fisher 400 reciever.

Josh

I did quite a bit of reading before deciding to buy a pair of MC225's. Most of what I read (Audio Karma, Audio Asylum, ad infinitum) give the nod to 225's over MC30's. I've heard MC30's in a few systems and they DO sound pretty darn good. However, for my taste (and of course, that's not saying much) they are a tad bit too "brown" sounding. So far I've had in my system Cary 300B's, ARC Classic 60, Decware Zen, Scott 299A (mkII?), and a Brenneman Stereo 30 among others. Right now, one of my 225's is being re-chromed and screened, as will it's mate when the first one is finished. Can't wait 'till they're both done and can hear them mono-bloc'd.

BTW, the best sound that's ever come out of my sytem was delivered through a Decware Zen amp. If I could find that sound in an amp with adequate power....

Regards,

Chris

BTW, if the guys from the forum thet were interested in buying my Cornwall redux speakers read this, they're available. My laptop crashed a couple of weeks ago and I lost their emails. Otherwise they're going back on Craigslist and then eBay.

Marantz model 9 has to be included, Sid Smith called it the ultimate expression of Marantz amp making. Keep the 8b on there as well, that's a real no-brainer too.

Pilot SA-232 should be there as the EL84 choice, alternately one could place the Dynaco ST-35 another sweet amp.

Dynaco's MkIV trumps the ST-70, two sets of power trannies gives it the bass and mid umph the ST-70 sometimes lacked.

Brook 12A best of breed 2A3 PP? (I'll keep my JFL!)

Seconded the nomination of a WE 300B amp.

tony