Movies to Show off your Killer System

Wild Blue

Okay, this particular forum just seems to be begging for this post, so here it is. I haven't seen anyone else post it.

What movies does everyone like to use to show off their systems? When you have your friends over, and you want to impress the socks off them, what's the first movie you put in? Why? Loud bass and big explosions? Or detailed and beautiful sound? Or masterful surround mixing on all channels?

Okay, I gotta give my own inputs here, right? Here's my top:

TERMINATOR 2 SPECIAL EDITION: The opening THX intro is unique and awesome. You've gotta watch it for yourself!

APOLLO 13 DTS: The launch scene, of course, at full volume. The chapter starts about 20 second before the launch with a tense mood, and as the launch progresses, the music surges and my Klipsch sub wakes the neighbors. Try to watch this one and NOT get goosebumps. I do every time!

MICHAEL JORDAN TO THE MAX (IMAX): The opening scene has Michael in Chicago's United Center alone, doing his famous free-throw line dunk. As he's halfway to the basket, the camera does a Matrix-style "bullet-time" spin around him hanging in mid air and the sound does the same around you. He finishes with a dunk, and there's the deep bass and music the Bulls used to start each home game. Incredible!

A BUG'S LIFE: Okay, not for demo, but for me. The whole movie is completely computer generated, and sound too. There's no background noises or any hiss that the makers didn't deliberately put in. Crystal clear!

DOLBY DIGITAL DEMO DISC: All the Dolby Trailers are great. Bought this one from the Dolby website.

SUPER SPEEDWAY: Who doesn't use this one? Indy cars zipping around you in sound. Coming out in ever better mixed version very soon!

THE MATRIX: Everybody's favorite. I love watching the lobby shootout scene.

U2 RATTLE AND HUM: Something about the song "Bad" on this video played above average volume is so peaceful.

To somewhat impress the friends, I pull out my music concert DVDs! Here some of my favorites in no particular order because it always change depending on my mood

cwm9.gif:

1. Eagles, Hell Freezes Over (DTS)

2. Steely Dan, Two Against Nature (DTS)

3. Phish, Bittersweet Motel (DTS)

4. Santana, Supernatural (DTS)

5. Metalica, S&M (DD)

This is a no shytter(sp?). One of the best sounding movies I have is Tom Burton's, The Nightmare Before Christmas (Special Edition DTS). I think your comment about how the sound was create in A Bug's Life also hold true with The Nightmare.

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

DVD: Pioneer DV-606D

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 10-14-2001 at 08:18 PM

For me Terminator 2 SE and The Matrix do the trick,The Matrix is a stunner.Two classic demo movies.

Gladiator for overall sound and picture.

There are plenty of good movies out there with some great sound effects.The three above stand out for me.

For music almost any Telarc spectacular.Very good to demonstrate the efortless power of a great system.Full scale and will stress the whole system.For real sub bass Pomps & Pipes(Reference Recordings)has some of the deepest bass ever recorded.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I would say Super Speedway Mach II is my main demo disc. Nothing like the sound of Indy cars zipping by at over 200 mph.

Matrix, Gladiator, opening scene of Toy Story II, opening scene of Saving Private Ryan, crash scene from Cast Away, Brink Truck scene in Heat, and after tomorrow Phantom Menace will be added.

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

SVS 16-46PC subwoofer (very soon)

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Lethal Weapon 4 - The opening scenes with the flame-thrower, shots firing and finally the fuel tanker explosion. The explosion really rocks!

Legends of the Fall - Best Sound Nomination at 1994 Academy Awards. Some great sounds throughout this one, especially the battlefield explosion scenes.

U-571 - The depth charges!

Steely Dan - "Two Against Nature" -Walter Becker and Donald Fagen at their best. Great music, w/some humorous well written lyrics. A favorite!

Silverado - The opening scene with the gunfight from inside the shack.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 10-15-2001 at 11:08 AM

the matrix, of course and U-571, of course, but after seeing it with the Krell moster reference sub-bass woofer chest I am not sure I want to see it on my paltry system,

and also, to show off the music, maybe the aria scene from Fifth Element ...

------------------

horns & subs; lights out & tubes glowing

1. Braveheart - Has got to be the clearest, crispest sounding movie - every little noise on the horses and fighers movements come through crystal clear, good separation, and great bass. The fight scenes feel like you are right there. The picture is also crystal clear with great color. Just an awesome movie to watch.

2.Matrix - 'nuff said.

3.Con-Air - yes, an oldy but very nice separation.

speak of the devil and he shall appear -

mention U-571 and guess what was on last night? okay on cable and with my subs, but nothing like the Krell monster sub-woofer chest ...

------------------

horns & subs; lights out & tubes glowing

Some more of my personal thoughts here. (I think this thread is helpful, I've already signed up for the Superbit version of "Fifth Element" based on Colin's input.

PHANTOM MENACE - Got this one a couple days ago. Slightly disappointing on pure movie sound quality! Based on Lucas' extreme hesitancy to produce Star Wars on DVD until it could be perfect, I expected just that...a perfect sound transfer. With my Klipsch speakers, though, they point out EVERY flaw in sound, and there is a little hiss in the soundtrack. I cranked up the sound to go nuts with the opening intro sound blast (thank you, John Williams) and had that annoying little background hiss distracting. Great bass response through the movie. Pissed off my neighbors. HOWEVER, the opening THX intro is top notch. It had the potential to be better than ther Terminator 2 intro, but I thought it was just slightly rushed. About 5-10 second longer and it would have been perfect.

THE POLICE "GREATEST HITS" DTS CD - Not bad! The first DTS CD I've bought. There is also some background hiss on this that is distracting, but I found "King of Pain" and "Da Doo Doo Doo" to be great versions.

• 2 weeks later...

I also like the sound effects in "The Mask", but "The Matrix" is my favorite. Need to buy T2SE, have never seen it.

------------------

My system:

Denon AVR-1801 (ordered)

Pioneer VSX 454 receiver (retired soon)

Pioneer PD-F100 CD changer

Pioneer DV-414 DVD player

Klipsch KG5.5 main, KG.5 rear and KV-3 center

My website

rm -rf /bin/laden

Where can a guy buy T2SE? I can't even rent it at any of the local big chain video stores! They never heard of it.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

19?? Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Onkyo TX-DS787 (reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Fifth Element Superbit: like the theater, only better, cause the drinks and snacks are far more affordable.

Blood: The Last Vampire: an excellent, albeit short (around 50 mins) anime. The DTS track is simply stunning, and the animation is absolutely first-rate.

Final Fantasy: The audio is absolutely unbeleivable.

------------------

Dr. Isotope: Faster

than a speeding

moth.

Don't forget Jurassic Park. Opening battle scene of Gladiator in DTS. Thin Red Line - The scene where they are taking the jap bunker. The gun fight with the big 50 cal guns is awesome, and when the artillary shells come in they are coming right at you. Crank it up !!