Go, Texas!

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you hear Coach Mack's comments? (paraphrasing) "Vince was okay as we kept on him to tell him how to develop his game. But when we finally gave up and let him play his way, he really took off."

You know EXACTLY what Coach was referring to don't you? [;)]

I figure he meant that he finally realized that Vince's natural albeit unconventional talent and leadership needed to be unleashed.

Did you hear Coach Mack's comments? (paraphrasing) "Vince was okay as we kept on him to tell him how to develop his game. But when we finally gave up and let him play his way, he really took off."

You know EXACTLY what Coach was referring to don't you? [;)]

I figure he meant that he finally realized that Vince's natural albeit unconventional talent and leadership needed to be unleashed.

I got out of it that they were trying to get Vince to stop running the ball like his job was a running back (way too dangerous for a QB). He wouldn't listen, so they shut up, and he won games for them.

I think it works for him because defenses weren't designed for QB's who are running mad-dogs like that. This opens up a whole new design era for defensive coordinators. They've got to adjust to a whole new game.

That was one hell of a football game. Congratulations to the University of Texas Longhorns. I had the opportunity to hang out with, and talk to quite a few Texans over the past week here in Pasadena and also at the Rose Bowl tonight. They were some of the nicest, classiest and humble people I've ever met.

Being a lifelong Trojan fan, I was a bit dissapointed by the games outcome. But, if USC had to be beat, I am sure happy that it was to a class organization like the University of Texas, Mack Brown, and the loyal fans. Texas is a great college football team, and they should be very proud of their accomplishments. Vince Young was absolutely brilliant. Man, that guy can do it all. He is awesome! Sure, he's very unconventional, but boy he sure is exciting to watch. Oh yeah, and he's EXTREMELY effective too.

He should go ahead of Reggie Bush in the draft for sure!

Cheers from So Cal

Wow, who is this Vince Young guy. I don't follow college football, in fact, this was the first game I caught all year. All I've heard in the NFL regarding draft is Matt this and matt that. Tell ya what, Vince is going to go quick come draft time. He makes Vick look silly.

m00n,

Matt this and Matt that? That was last year. This year it's been Reggie this and Reggie that. But after tonight, you're only going to hear Vince this and Vince that.

If Young declares, which he should. He'll be the guy starting at quarterback for the Houston Texans next year. That is if their management has half a brain.

You Texas football fans ought to love the thought of that, huh? Keeping him in the Lone Star state and all.

Well, so far I'm 1 for 2 on the Texans. I told my buddies at work a few months back that Capers should get canned, along with Carr. I can't see that either of them is all that bad - and maybe they're good.

But, even with a crappy coach, a team that loves to play together and has great fun and respect for each other will still play good. There's a player issue for sure. I think Carr should go - if only to do nothing more than effectuate a virtual heart-transplant. A chemistry change is needed.

That was one hell of a football game. Congratulations to the University of Texas Longhorns. I had the opportunity to hang out with, and talk to quite a few Texans over the past week here in Pasadena and also at the Rose Bowl tonight. They were some of the nicest, classiest and humble people I've ever met.

Being a lifelong Trojan fan, I was a bit dissapointed by the games outcome. But, if USC had to be beat, I am sure happy that it was to a class organization like the University of Texas, Mack Brown, and the loyal fans. Texas is a great college football team, and they should be very proud of their accomplishments. Vince Young was absolutely brilliant. Man, that guy can do it all. He is awesome! Sure, he's very unconventional, but boy he sure is exciting to watch. Oh yeah, and he's EXTREMELY effective too.

He should go ahead of Reggie Bush in the draft for sure!

Cheers from So Cal

Piranha,

You are a class act. USC was 34 and O? That was a great undefeated run. And of course, still one heck of a good football team.

I'm not a Texas fan, but glad to hear that the Texas folks were on there best behavior in Pasadena.

OK, I went to bed when Texas was down like 12 points, wake up this

morning and WHAM, I'm kicking myself for leaving early, but I had to

ruin society a little more this morning for some folks that wanted to

argue about who was better at screwing up their children, but its all

MY fault.

This isn't just a win for UT, it is a win for Texas...I didn't go to

school here, but I am a native, and hearing that they won just sets me

off, good for them.

NOW, lets talk about that touchdown on the pitch by Vince early in the

game, when he was clearly DOWN (knee on the ground), that USC didn't

call for a review and the hurried field goal thereafter...NOBODY this

morning has been mentioning that - smart and wiley, that is what I say.

K

And for all of you who crashed early......

UT's down 5 points. 19 seconds on the game clock. UT's ball. 4th down and 5 yards to go from the USC 9 yard line. This is UT's last chance....................... The ball is snapped....... Oh, my God....... He's running...... He's running....... He scores!!!!!!! Ho-ly, To-le-do! What an amazing game!!!!!

Yeah how about that pass play with about 6 minutes to go when the Texas receiver ran out of bounds and they ran almost half a minute off the clock and did not reset it. Even the announcers were clamoring about that. I thought it would bite Texas in the end but it would up being the death sentence for USC with no time outs left and 16 second to get in to field goal range. Still a great game. No doubt Dem Horns Hooked em! IMHO the Orange Bowl was the best game but all the BSC games were outstanding this year.

CONGRADULATIONS TO UT!!!!

Man......I went to bed around 11:15pm thinking that there's no way UT will pull it out since it looked like USC had the momentum. Personally, I felt that USC played a better game overall. They could advance the ball on the ground at will and picked UT's secondary apart many times with those swing passes and 5 yard down & out's and post routes. And UT's number of penalties was ridiculous. OTOH, I wish the Ref's would be a bit more lenient in Bowl games. Ferchrissakes....there were some real chicken-sh*t calls. Anyhow.........

Ya gotta give UT prop's though for hanging in there, making plays when needed & at crucial moments, and capitalizing on opportunities. Excellent game - the way a #1 and #2 ranked teams should play and a score reflective of how well the two teams matched up. Pisses me off that I didn't stay up to see the end. Hell, I stayed up for the whole Sugar Bowl!!

As for Vince Young.....although he's very talented, the NFL could be a tough gig for him. The NFL ain't keen on running QB's. There's been a few, but eventually they all have to learn to be pocket passers. Some of that is probably a paradigm, but I think it's mostly a function of what offensive linemen are taught in regards to protecting the QB - i.e. pass blocking techniques. Just look at what's happened to Michael Vick. Yeah - he still scrambles, but they aren't designed QB running plays. And let's not mention that Michael has payed the price for running. VY is in for a shock when he finds that there's some inside defensive linemen that can hang with him in the 40. Randall Cunningham had a difficult time transitioning as well and he too took some pounding. This pocket passing paradigm is probably also why QB's that spent their college career with option offenses wind up being back-up QB's in the NFL.

That said, I hope like hell VY does well in the NFL and that whatever team he goes to will embrace his "style" and develop a new offense that can take advantage of his talent. And it wouldn't hurt for him to wear knee braces. That boy gots some skinny legs. [:)]

Tom

Down two scores with less than 7 minutes to go in the game against the two time national champion, Vince Young didn't even blink. He has a good team around him, but what it came down to is that he beat USC's defenses on almost every play when it counted--

This was the finest clutch performance from a football player I've ever seen--Reggie had some impressive plays, but Vince was a beacon all night--

That's why he'll be great in the NFL--he's definitely got the physical talents, but that will to win is incredible--