Best type of low powered tube amps for klipschorns

shaman

Can anyone give me recommendations for a low powered set valve amp. I have tried LadyDay 300b's which I liked a lot. Then tried a Shanling sp80c (40 watts p/p) which was ok but nowhere near as involving as the 300b. Maybe a 2a3 or 45 amp is the way to go. Please can you help me decide from your own personal experiences. I will not have the chance to audition either type of amp, so will have to take the plunge. Many thanks for your opinions.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, there's not much that beats the sound of the 2A3 triode. I own Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs, a hard comodity to find these days, but they do appear on Audiogon once in a while. The Fi 2A3 Monoblocks by Don Garber are also wonderful and can be ordered from him. Both are considered by some to be a small step above the Wrights, though I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the Wright 2A3 Monoblocks which I have heard on many occassions.

If it's another 300B you seek, though my preference is tube rectification, there's currently a killer price on a pair of Welborne Labs DRD 300B monoblocks with SS rectification on Audiogon.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1140574175

Klipsch out.

I don't know whether there is a BEST type low powered tube amp for the Klipschorn. But out of some I have heard, an Audio Note monobloc 300b SET amp sounded okay - but I didn't hear these with Klipschorns. I don't know about 2a3 tube amps. Aren't the tubes expensive to replace? And isn't there an issue with very high voltages?

I reckon you're taking a risk by buying sight (and sound) unseen. You should listen first. While you are listening, maybe you could consider other options. What about a nice S/S monobloc combined with a tube preamp? One suggestion is the recently discontinued Classe CAM-200 monoblocs. You could pick a pair up for small money. What about a pair of VRD monoblocs with a Peach preamp?

I really love my Assemblage SET300B amplifiers..I have this one (which I have since swapped in Mullard GZ37 rectifiers) as my stereo amp, 8 watts a channel, feeding the KHorns, and another, wired for mono (16 watts a channel) feeding a center Belle. Although I have never heard the Wrights (and I'd certainly love to!), I am really satisfied with these amps.

Steve

post-2159-13819279002788_thumb.jpg

Actually another option could be the Audio Note Soro SE integrated amp. This is a single ended pentode design using 5881 tubes. Some come with phono capability. Output is claimed as around 18 watts but the reality is closer to 10 or 12. I have heard this amplifier with La Scalas and the result was quite impressive. One thing I noticed with this amplifer was the extended bass response - unlike some 300b SET designs. This would be a nice match with Klipschorns.

shaman,

I am very happy with 2A3s (Sovtek or RCA) driving RF-7s. did you try

the 300B amp(s) set for 4 Ohm output? If not, give it a try. In fact, I

recommend that with any tube amp. Also, I prefer parallel feed output

("parafeed") to the more conventional, but they're not that easy to

find.

Leo

With Klipschorns and the stock filters -- it would be interesting to listen using 16 ohm taps.

It would definitely be fun to give those a spin. I finally have enough dynamics and openess at low levels to where something like that might work pretty good now. VRDs first though, and I'll probably end up running them in Triode with KT-66's.

I don't know whether there is a BEST type low powered tube amp for the Klipschorn. But out of some I have heard, an Audio Note monobloc 300b SET amp sounded okay - but I didn't hear these with Klipschorns. I don't know about 2a3 tube amps. Aren't the tubes expensive to replace? And isn't there an issue with very high voltages?

I reckon you're taking a risk by buying sight (and sound) unseen. You should listen first. While you are listening, maybe you could consider other options. What about a nice S/S monobloc combined with a tube preamp? One suggestion is the recently discontinued Classe CAM-200 monoblocs. You could pick a pair up for small money. What about a pair of VRD monoblocs with a Peach preamp?

edwinr,

I believe the question was......give me recommendations for a low powered set valve amp.

Klipsch out.

Leo, are you suggesting that the Klipschorn or La Scala dips to 4 ohms? I've never tried the 4 ohm taps - only the 8 ohm. I assumed these speakers were primarily 8 ohm.

To my ears, I prefer the sound of my Khorns on 4ohm taps. Run them there all the time.