lascala, heresy question

tuned4life

I'm thinking the Heresy name comes straight out of the dictionary.
2.a., being the one that most fits.
As in; it's heresy to have such a small speaker, produce such a large sound.
I remember seeing a pic that someone posted on the forum here, of an older(original Heresy?) packing box, where the slogan states; "In loudspeaker systems, it's Heresy, by Klipsch" or something very similar.

her·e·sy Audio pronunciation of "heresy" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hebreve.gifrprime.gifibreve.gif-semacr.gif)
n. pl. her·e·sies

An opinion or a doctrine at variance with established religious beliefs, especially dissension from or denial of Roman Catholic dogma by a professed believer or baptized church member.

Adherence to such dissenting opinion or doctrine.

A controversial or unorthodox opinion or doctrine, as in politics, philosophy, or science.

Adherence to such controversial or unorthodox opinion.

I'm not remembering clearly, but on the Heresy, I believe an industry rep of some kind was listening to Mr. Paul describe his project. The rep said something like, "coming from you, that's Heresy." Mr. Paul took that as the name of the speaker.

It does sound better than it ought.

PWK developed the LB originally for Mrs. Valerie's use in teaching music; but when she heard what the two builders who had the dubious honor of assembling the first prototypes called the speaker, she liked it, so it stuck! PWK actually originally planned to name it after Mrs. Valerie. The "LB" was NOT a LaScala, but was a completely different speaker: LB-76. The only thing the LB had in common with the LaScala was its tweeter (K77M) and mid-horn compression driver (K55V). Otherwise, it had nothing in common with the LaScala except that they were both three-way, fully-horn-loaded, non-corner-horns. Too bad the LB-76 project died on the vine and never reached standard production, but sometimes that's the way the law of diminishing returns works.

Heresy-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

After reading the PWK biography (great story, bit poorly written and edited) and hearing PWK speak, its my understanding that a local minister asked PWK to design a speaker to be used over the proscenium (arched doorway) and that PWK said to place a speaker in such a location , rather than in a corner,would be heresy. PWKs irreverent sense of humor quickly caused him to see the beauty of using that name for a speaker intended for a church.

BTW, the Indy car simulator at the ESPN Zone at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Disneyland uses Heresies.

La Scala-

PWK learned to love opera after Belle took him to the La Scala opera in Milan, Italy. He said that live opera made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. The speaker is named for the opera house, notwithstanding the fact that it was designed for Rockefellers gubernatorial campaign.