Poll: At what volumes do you do most of your listening?

Deang

If you listen at low volumes you might as well buy a Bose table top radio. I did not buy Klipsch K-horns to listen at low levels. Likewise, I did not buy a 435HP Corvette for good gas milage.

JJK

I like music cranking from time to time... however, one of the reasons I fell in love with Klipsch sound is the amazing clarity and delicacy with which they reproduce low level listening.

When the bass response is still full and present at near whisper levels, that's a good thing.

Woo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted concert, but I may be even a little louder sometimes[:)]. I like it stunningly loud when I'm "actively listening". I am thrilled by thundering bass. I love it when I can feel the snare. I like it to sound like there's a guitar cabinet in my living room. One of my favorite things about my Klipsh, however, is the smooth midrange. I've never had speakers so bright that could crank out tunes without ever getting harsh in the mid frequencies. Seems to me like the more power they get the better they sound.

I play the radio all the time just for background noise and maybe the off chance something new and cool comes out. When it's just for noise I don't play it all that loud.

For some reason, the forum has denied me voting privileges in this poll. I will lodge a protest. Why is there not a choice for "all of the above"? Bob Crites

You can't vote 'til you've signed in... when you reply or quote you are asked to sign in, when you vote it doesn't.

Live music at my fingertips !!!

Ditto...Although with my current 10 WPC SET amp I can only raise the gain to over 95dB before any clipping occurs, with my loudspeakers and sub it approaches near-live levels with aplomb; nearly as convincing as my high current McIntosh MC7200!

You're clipping with 1 watt? It looks like you have at least 10dB headroom with the Cornwalls...

Pauln

if alone i prefer what most people i know consider loud. if on the other hand i am trying to socialize i do not like to yell and not be able to hear the conversation...

bass akwards as always, i know.

i just hate to go out to hear a band with friends and have to wait for a break to try and get in a couple of words.

I accidentally chose the barely turned up one and then chose the one for the middle ground. Seriously, i never listen to it low. On my sx-980, 20db up is moderately loud to pretty dang loud depending on cd. Some songs just make you turn them up LOUD. I love the offspring, americana cd loud. The beginning of the song of americana has an awesome solo drumming experience.

I don't listen to music unless I can listen to it. I rarely turn my radio on in the car as it is mostly a distraction, and don't even have a radio in the Vette.

Mike

me 2. Music always provokes a reaction. I either must stop what I'm doing and let myself be drawn into it, or it is a distraction or outright annoyance.

As for listening levels, my preference is whatever is musically appropriate, with the limiting factor being the level I feel is safe for long-term exposure. (If you can't hear your own voice, the music is too loud!)

That said, I do most listening at lower levels than musically apprpriate because of consideration of the wife and chilluns.[A]

I like to listen at live levels but that is limited to around 100-110dB as my system starts to strain in that range and distortion and compression really kill the experience for me.

Acoustic guitar, jazz and small club combos, chamber music, organ and most orchestral music work well around 90dB and below while I have to take the system to its limits for the likes of Hendrix and Stevie Ray and reproducing a Who concert is simply out of the question.

On that note, is it just me or does anyone else get irritated with the distortion and plain bad mixing in some concerts and clubs? I've begun to notice it more than before and don't know whether its bad setup and engineering, my age or maybe its a result of paying so much attention to my systems' sound.

Regardless, this isn't a recent phenomenon and I've heard plenty of great-sounding and well-mixed shows so its not rampant but sometimes its so obvious that I want to go over and smack the guy behind the sound board!

Sorry for the rant.

If listening alone, usually middle ground.

Coffee with wife, not above conversational levels or she gets cranky. Liz Story piano solos in background. BTW, I'd rather be in conversation with her than listen loud anyway.

Listening with a buddy, sometimes we need to turn it down a little for conversation.

Would anyone agree that 85-90 db is loud? The person above my dorm

room thinks soo and already lodged a complaint to the hall director. I

had my radio shack meter about 1 meters away and the thing was even the

hall director thought it was bs since it was barely audible outside my

door let alone 8 inches of cement flooring.

BTW she already has a bad track history of blaming me for the loud

music. I say she is batting .333 if that. She once came running down

the stairs kicked my door open and found me studying on my bed with a

book. And she like I know you just turned it off! my computer was off

(I have the iFi multimedia (no computer or iPod) on or in the cradle.

Then her face turned red and she left but still yelled "Don't f*ing

play your music at all!"

Sorry I had to vent.

Would anyone agree that 85-90 db is loud? The person above my dorm room thinks soo and already lodged a complaint to the hall director. I had my radio shack meter about 1 meters away and the thing was even the hall director thought it was bs since it was barely audible outside my door let alone 8 inches of cement flooring.

BTW she already has a bad track history of blaming me for the loud music. I say she is batting .333 if that. She once came running down the stairs kicked my door open and found me studying on my bed with a book. And she like I know you just turned it off! my computer was off (I have the iFi multimedia (no computer or iPod) on or in the cradle. Then her face turned red and she left but still yelled "Don't f*ing play your music at all!"

Sorry I had to vent.

Forget the vent, she so obviously digs you...