Tubes better than SS??? BAH!

SilverSport

My Chineese made Shanling PP monoblocks have a pretty good preamp section w/a remote control.

The pre in front

That looks like something that ought to serve ice cream out the front portal.

It does...LOL,that creamy tube midrange as well as the cone in the form of rock solid bass..for tube gear.

Yeah, and the 2 electrodes in front could pass the blue lightning back and forth like the old "Frankenstein" movies. That fancy piece of equipment just offers alot up for imagination.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a remote for any of my components, but I surely don't mind wheeling my chair from my desk over to change the volume and such.

I have to go into the next room to change the volume or flip an LP, through a door that has to be kept closed to keep the cats off my LP player. Not sure anyone can top that one.

One more reason I don't mind the small distance between me , the integ. amp and the TT :P

MDeneen - Yep!

The first thing I do is ask for an extra blanket and strip off the bedspread. All kinds of hanky panky happens on them but more so......... Imagine how many big fat nasty naked butts have sat on them? Probably after taking a good dump too! And since we have no bidets here in the states (except for maybe 5 stars), you just know TP is just smearing the nasty around. Which ends up on the bedspread!

They never clean the bedspreads!! Fair warning folks!

Steamer - That looks pretty cool. About how much cashola would one of those run? Roughly?

My Chineese made Shanling PP monoblocks have a pretty good preamp section w/a remote control.

The pre in front

That looks like something that ought to serve ice cream out the front portal.

It does...LOL,that creamy tube midrange as well as the cone in the form of rock solid bass..for tube gear.

Yeah, and the 2 electrodes in front could pass the blue lightning back and forth like the old "Frankenstein" movies. That fancy piece of equipment just offers alot up for imagination.

LOL,yes its unique lookin,real eye candy but with the bonus of good sound!

MDeneen - Yep!

The first thing I do is ask for an extra blanket and strip off the bedspread. All kinds of hanky panky happens on them but more so......... Imagine how many big fat nasty naked butts have sat on them? Probably after taking a good dump too! And since we have no bidets here in the states (except for maybe 5 stars), you just know TP is just smearing the nasty around. Which ends up on the bedspread!

Steamer - That looks pretty cool. About how much cashola would one of those run? Roughly?

Meagain,

I paid $3800 w/ the level one mods by Chris Johnson(founder and former prez of Sonic Frontiers)and its for sale on audiogon right now.

Greg

MDeneen - Yep!

ohhh god the mental picture of a "big fat nasty naked butt" on a sheet that I might eventually sleep on gave me the chills down the spine. I had to stay in a motel for a few months during my summer work and I offered to use my own pillows and sheets.

A remote system that does not adversely affect

sound quality involves a motorized pot, plus all the extraneous

goodies. Stuff ain't free. A great motor pot with the goodies can

easily add $200 or more at COST. What does that do to PRICE? Well,

perhaps $500 and up onto the non-remote cost...

Wow, where in the world are you getting these figures from? I could

probably do it for around $80 - and that's building just one. Things

get much cheaper in bulk. Though I can see how someone would want to

charge $200 to $300...

For $405, here's a high-quality remote attenuator from diycable.com

(attenuator by DACT). Takes up quite a bit of chassis real estate,

compared to something like an Alps pot.

I have a remote in my bedroom AES AE-3 DJH, which was a $500 option. I

normally don't adjust the volume during playback, but it's kind of nice

with a changer (quite a difference between some CD's).

post-17678-1381928125498_thumb.jpg

I've never tried tubes before, therefore I would like to hear some suggestions on what tube gear I could try that would out perform my Aragon 8008BB Amp mated with my Aragon Aurum Pre-Amp. I am running the Aragon gear with LaScalas. With the suggestions, could you throw in dollar figures.

Thanks,

I've never tried tubes before, therefore I would like to hear some suggestions on what tube gear I could try that would out perform my Aragon 8008BB Amp mated with my Aragon Aurum Pre-Amp. I am running the Aragon gear with LaScalas. With the suggestions, could you throw in dollar figures.

Thanks,

That's pretty good SS gear.

Whether tubes would out perform your setup is subjective, of course.

As a reference sound, it is "different".... "better" depends on what you like.

In terms of preamplifiers, Juicy Music has some very nice offerings, which might pair nicely with your Aragon power amp. That would offer a taste of tubes that you might enjoy.

A remote system that does not adversely affect sound quality involves a motorized pot, plus all the extraneous goodies. Stuff ain't free. A great motor pot with the goodies can easily add $200 or more at COST. What does that do to PRICE? Well, perhaps $500 and up onto the non-remote cost...

Wow, where in the world are you getting these figures from? I could probably do it for around $80 - and that's building just one. Things get much cheaper in bulk. Though I can see how someone would want to charge $200 to $300...

The important part of Mark's post was "that does not adversely affect sound quality" Of course I'm not at all surprised at your response.

If its indeed so easy and cheap to accomplish building a quality remote controlled VC I suggest you take this great opportunity too design/manufacture this wonder unit! I'm sure you can get rich doing it. Oh and make sure it will work in the tube audio component enviorment and available voltages. Let me once again remind you the design goal is not adversly effect the sound quality of the amp or preamp.

Craig

First of all, those that travel will recall the placards in the bathrooms that spew some environmentally profound bilge about how if you want the hotel to wash the towels, leave them on the floor, and if you want to be hip, hang them up after use. The hotel will remove and clean the ones on the floor, and leave the ones you hang for you to use again. I'm sure you have all seen this.

WHAT THEY DO NOT TELL YOU, because they don't have to, is that this policy extends to the bedding! If you just mess up the sheets and cover a little they just tuck it back in. If you expect them to replace all the bedding you need to pull the cover and sheets completely off the bed and put them in a pile on the floor. I'm not kidding!

As to the remote issue - there must be something at the hardware store resembling a plumber's snake that could be attached to the volume knob at one end, and the other end could be mounted on the arm of your chair?

Now let's get this thread back on topic..

Pauln

I gave my TV away over a year ago it was so long since I last used it. And I too do not miss it!

The only remote I have is with my CD player, which I use alot out of convenience. But when I'm spinnin' vinyl, I have absolutely no problems getting up to flip the record over and cueing up the tonearm. Nor do I mind adjusting the volume on my (remoteless) pre's stepped attenuator with my bare hands...I just love grasping that big, round, champagne-finished, polished anodized aluminum knob...ooooooh![^o)]

As far as the cleanliness of hotel sheets are concerned, I just don't worry about it. Do you bring your own utensils to a restaurant for fear their own forks and spoons aren't washed properly? Might as well bring your own dishes and glasses too (and don't use public toilets...no telling what you'll catch from the seats...sheesh![:^)]

Oh, and the 100 watt SS amp on my sub compliments my 300B SET power amp quite nicely.[;)]

Gosh - People who don't have TVs nor own them. Stunning!

Jt1 - The sheets are OK. Those are washed. It's the bedspread/top decorative cover that - that's the problem. Public toilets are ok. If you hover. [<:o)]

Actually, I still own a '73 GE 14" black & white TV I bought as a kid...sits in the kitchen. I still like to watch the news or PBS ocassionally.

My two youngest brothers share a house with me, and one has converted the family room to our own personal HT, including an InFocus HD projector and a 109"+ screen for digital HD cable TV and for DVDs, so it's not like I'm without any television...I just didn't have a use for my own set anymore (plus I just don't watch any network television since these dumb reality shows became popular...only HBO, The Discovery Channel, INHD2, and DVDs). Mostly I just listen to my audio system.[8]