Advice on a good set of speaker cables.

Christopher,

What is your budget? If it's not too much ($50-$200), the following link is for cables that have gotten really good reviews.

http://www.anticables.com

If it's more ($200 +), try this link:

http://www.voodoocable.net/

Bruce makes some good stuff. He always has some good demo/used cable.

***More important than spending too much on speaker wire, is upgrading your crossover***

I have KLF-20's with upgraded crossovers and I also bought high-end speaker cable (VooDoo Reference). While I would say that the upgraded speaker cable was better than the standard Monster or lamp wire, I experienced far more of a performance increase from having the crossover's upgraded.

My recommendation would be to contact DeanG or Popbumper to upgrade those networks and then change out the cabling.

Just my two cents.

Good luck,

Mike

Well I use 10 gage O2 free cable. I bought it at a local electronics store. 100 feet for $35. In truth, there was no difference between the new cable and the old 14 gage zip cord that I was using before. The 14 gage speaker wire at your local home center should do fine.

[:P]If you are going to "bi-wire" use romex 14 gage for that "solid" bass and the stranded stuff for "finer detail" in the mids and highs[:P][;)]

Christopher,

Contact "DeanG" (here on the forum) for upgrading your stock crossover network.

Contact "Popbumber" (here on the forum) for a completely new crossover network.

Hopefully they'll chime in and describe further the pro's and con's of each of their works.

It was money better spent (IMHO) vs. more expensive speaker cables. I do think that upgraded speaker cables do help too. By upgrading the crossovers first, you'll be able to hear the differences in the speakers cables much better.

Mike

I can see spending a bit of money on interconnects but speaker

cable appears to have a very slight to no significant impact on

realism and soundstage.

At Christmas time my wife wanted the tree where my 5 foot long audio

stand was. So out went the turntable and stand to staorage and I

had to use a small tabel for CD and amps on the side of the room 90

degress to where it was origonally.

I had to go to long runs of Home Depot wire instead of the Audio Quest Type 4 cable; no erosin of performance noted.

Do a Google search for online sources for Canare Star Quad 4S11 speaker cables (11 AWG twisted pair of four 14 AWG OFC conductors). This stuff is dirt cheap and an excellent performer IMO.

Yes indeed! I constructed my last set of cables out of Canare Star Quad 4S11 and they work quite well. If you are lucky enough to have a true electronics/electrical supply store near you as I am you will find that Belden also has some great cable for most any application you can come up with.

Constructing your own cables, both speaker as well as interconnects is fun and a great way to save huge money. The high point of my construction career came at a local high end HiFi shop where NO ONE at the shop could tell the difference between that pair of interconnects I made and a $500.00 pair between an amp and pre amp as well as between a CD cource and a pre!

Regards,

I stopped worrying about pi$$ing off the wife when I saw how much the local yokels spend on fishing ($30,000 boat and trailer combos, $1000 fishing poles, sonar, radar, bait that costs more than my dinner...).

Buy yourself some good cables... Kimber 4PR is a good and relatively economical choice for Klipsch.

I stopped worrying about pi$$ing off the wife when I saw how much the local yokels spend on fishing ($30,000 boat and trailer combos, $1000 fishing poles, sonar, radar, bait that costs more than my dinner...).

Buy yourself some good cables... Kimber 4PR is a good and relatively economical choice for Klipsch.

Man! It's tuff to argue with that kind of logic...[:o]