You might want to check out the oppo DVD player. Save yourself

some green and a VERY nice machine. Check out oppodigital.com for

the specs. Home theater secrets I believe was the website

(someone correct me if I am wrong) that did a benchmark test on

it. Faired the 2nd best out of dvd players costing well over a

grand!!

as stated in several other threads on this forum,

with the advent of the new fomats coming out,

i might recomend waiting on spending premo bucks on a player right now.

buy a good player if you need one now or hold on to the one you have.

i just made that same choice and bought the $225 neu neo

unit and like it just fine,for now

jay

what makes a good dvd player? for instance what difference will I see from the $100 sony progressize scan that I have now?

we are new to the media room type stufff but have jumped in headfirst and love it! the dvd player is interesting to us since we are longtime subscribers to netflix.

the improvement is dependant on the display itself and the quality of the scaler built into said display.

case in point we have a sony projector and i love the nue neo unit we just got( made a big differance)

chris, an other forum member, tried that same player with his panny plasma and didnt see as big of an improvement.

his plasma is newer than our projector and most likely has a better scaler chip built into it than our projector does

jay

I have the Denon DVD 3910 and the 2910.

I purchased the 3910 because of the reviews it was getting for playing back Redbook CD's and processing of DVD-A's and SACD's. Unfortunately with the lack of multichannel material, I have already gotten tired of my High Rez music collection. Buying it also didn't posses me to start listening to CD's again. It's a great player, but if you don't listen to music in these formats it would be a waste of money, IMO.

The Denon DVD 2910 has the same picture quality as the 3910 and also plays High Rez music that most people (me included) wouldn't notice much of a difference in the 2 players. The DVD-3910 has better bass management and can be used with Denon Link. That would be the only advantage. On a bang for your buck basis, and with the new HD formats coming out (sometime??) I would go for the DVD-2910 unless you want the bragging rights of a DVD-3910 owner. [;)]

I have the Denon DVD 3910 and the 2910.

I purchased the 3910 because of the reviews it was getting for playing back Redbook CD's and processing of DVD-A's and SACD's. Unfortunately with the lack of multichannel material, I have already gotten tired of my High Rez music collection. Buying it also didn't posses me to start listening to CD's again. It's a great player, but if you don't listen to music in these formats it would be a waste of money, IMO.

The Denon DVD 2910 has the same picture quality as the 3910 and also plays High Rez music that most people (me included) wouldn't notice much of a difference in the 2 players. The DVD-3910 has better bass management and can be used with Denon Link. That would be the only advantage. On a bang for your buck basis, and with the new HD formats coming out (sometime??) I would go for the DVD-2910 unless you want the bragging rights of a DVD-3910 owner. [;)]

I too own a 3910 and bought it specifically to get the most out of the projector system I'm using in my HT room. Although I don't own a 2910, several reviews have agreed that the 2910 suffers from macro blocking issues that the 3910 does not. Maybe due to the DPIC (Denon Pixel Image Correction) I dunno. I do know that the 1910 I had hooked to my 45" Samsung RPDLP sucked big time. [:(] Nevertheless, I would agree that it really depends on your display. I certainly think the 2910 is a fine machine at half the price of the 3910 (personally I don't know how Denon justifies that price gap. It's larger than just about every product tier they have). I got my 3910 at a "hard to pass up" price; otherwise, I would've tried the 2910.

Tom

The Denon DVD-2900. You can find them on eBay either refurbished or used. It's a great all-around player.

That's another good suggestion if you don't mind used/refurb. I might be mistaken, but I believe the 2900 was the only DVD player Denon made that used the SiliconGraphics engine versus the Faroudja chip. The SG chip was better at 3:2 pulldown detection than earlier versions of the Faroudja. Not sure what the departure was for Denon.

Tom

Agreed, which is why I don't spend any more than a hundred bucks on a player right now. My tv would show very little difference because of its lack of capabilities. I don't know about the base management comments. With a projector, however, I can imagine the picture difference would be visibly noticable.