The Best crossower for Khorns?

Erland

I am building a pair of Khorns.

Why not buy originals, you may ask....Because I want the sound but with better looking woodwork. Since I have the tools and the skills, I tought it would be an interesting and challenging project for the winter.

Original parts are being used, so we are not talking about a clone here, more like a Khorn "signature edition".

I have a pair of RF5's in my system, and have a litle listening experience with Khorns, but not much.

I have been looking at the crossower's avaliable, and read a lot on the web regarding the subject.

Especially the company ALK engeneering cought my interest, and I have had some communication with a person who found their modified crossower a considerable uppgrade.

Does anyone on this forum have other recomendations or suggestions for such crossower.

Thanks

Erland

Al Klappenbergers crossovers are excellent. You might also want to check out DeanG on this forum. He has crossovers listed on Audiogon.com. You can find them by searching for "Klipsch".

If you want to find out how good factory spec crossovers sound, check out BEC on this forum. He builds crossovers to Klipsch design spec in the type A or type AA, which are classics. These present the best bang for the buck, IMO.

I am building a pair of Khorns.

Why not buy originals, you may ask....Because I want the sound but with better looking woodwork. Since I have the tools and the skills, I tought it would be an interesting and challenging project for the winter.

Original parts are being used, so we are not talking about a clone here, more like a Khorn "signature edition".

Same here, same reasons, the factory Khorns look nice, but the appearance really is little more than a 31x38 wood panel with a little moulding, again, nice, but so much more could be done. I probably already know the answer to this, but why does'nt Klipsch sell an unfinished Khorn bass bin (like EV used to), they have the patent, the production line, and I am sure they could sell them at a price (not cheap, but still worth it) that they could make a profit?

Unsure of best crossover also, parts using here, K33E's,K55V's,Altec 511 horns, K77's, with Cornwall for center using same drivers and stock type B crossover.

Erland, are you using KD-2 (Khorn) plans or other? I have original print KD-2 plans and notice a few differences to the Klipsch and EV factory bins, I have a few questions on those if you or anyone else may know.

Have'nt started to build yet, have been looking for ok condition used bass bins first, then build cosmetic shells similar to what EV did with the Georgian, or just modify the bins with fancier woodwork. The shell idea is good in that the appearance can be changed anytime to better match existing room furniture and/or change in preference without actually changing the bass bin at all. Going to give it another month or two for used bins search, if no luck, then going to start, would be interested to see how you do

Thanks to all of you for good input so far.

I have some drawing that apear to be original, but the measures are converted to european (from inch to mm).

I have not started to build yet.

Bass elements will be K33E

Midrage K 55V - K401 horn

Tweeter K77M

All from Bob Crites

If you have the original construction plans for the basshorn and are willing to share, my email adress are erland.solbakken@nmsc.no

If you like to see my costr. drawings, please send me an email.

I have found some pictures of the 50th ainversary Khorn, and my plan is tho build something similar, but using 1,5' Mahogny ore Rosewood on the outside of the birch plywood.

The supply of high quality plywood are very good here in Norway, so the possibillity that this can be a success are absolutely present.

Thank you Al.

I looked at the picture of the Trachorn on your website. Definately interesting! Are a alinco driver like the K55V or similar Atals drivers the best for this horn?

What are the tweeter used on the picture? Definatley not a K77?

Regards

Erland

I have (2) old 1965 Klipsch K-horn crossovers complete that don't work very well (compared to the new Deans) but if you want them 25 bucks will suffice. These suckers are heavy enough to break your toes if you drop them. You will have to provide the two screws that fasten them down however.

JJK

Thank you for your kind offer JJK,

But my purpose here is not to make a bargain. My goal is to make the best sounding and looking Khorns possible. Cost no object (within some reason).

At the moment the ALK eng. crossower, maybe with the Trachorn, that seem to be the way to go.

Another thing....anyone of you heard of the Mundorf M-caps. The silver in oil verson are magnificent for DIY, but to pricy for comercial use. The std. M-cap I now used in the new B&W Diamond Nautilus series. I do not know who sells them in the US, but If you want to know more, I can possibly supply some english written information.

Regards

Erland

"I have (2) old 1965 Klipsch K-horn crossovers complete that don't work very well (compared to the new Deans) but if you want them 25 bucks will suffice."

JJK,

First of all - DON'T SELL THOSE CROSSOVERS! If the desire or need to sell your Khorns ever arises, offering the original stock xovers will certainly add more value to the transaction than $25 - especially if the buyer is a collector (and 1965 Khorns do spark interest as collector items).

Secondly, if you insist on selling them... I'll take em! A side benefit is that should you actually decide to sell you Khons down the road there is a 90% chance that I'll still have them stored somewhere. My purpose for buying them would just be to have a pr of Type A's to compare with the later xover models.

Still, it'd be best to keep them. Have fun -Bryan

Maybe the subject i strarted is a litle "sensitive".

I should know better that using "Best" in the title on a forum like this. We all hva differnet preferences, so what's best is hard to determine. Againg thank you all for the good inputs. I have to admit, I am not shure wich way to go yet. Somethings tempt me to copy the original, and then experiment from there. But it is also tempting to rely on others experience and skip a step here[:)]

I still have some time to think about this while building the basshorn.

Erland,

I think you did find asking as you did...sometimes around here you need to lead a bit strong...then you get the answers you really need to make a choice...when you ask the way you did you get the people responding with passion and after all, that is part of what you need to make your decision, right?

Good luck with the work...my K'Horns were shot...cabinets were sound but guts were abused...I replaced with all new speakers and Klipsch's AK-4 networks from their "upgrade" kit and am very happy with the results...Bob's new tweeter may be an improvement...the ALK Tractrix too as may be his extreme slope crossovers or DeanG's mods...all dreams for the future.

Good Luck!

Bill

I'm working on my third set of k-horn bass bins. I should have them done in a couple of weeks. I'm not going to be able to keep them so if anybody around here is interested in purchasing them drop me a line. I would imagine they would cost a small fortune to ship so local pick up would be best. I'm in Wilmington NC.

Thanks to all of you for good input so far.

I have some drawing that apear to be original, but the measures are converted to european (from inch to mm).

I have not started to build yet.

Bass elements will be K33E

Midrage K 55V - K401 horn

Tweeter K77M

All from Bob Crites

If you have the original construction plans for the basshorn and are willing to share, my email adress are erland.solbakken@nmsc.no

If you like to see my costr. drawings, please send me an email.

The plans I have are the Electro Voice KD-2 from 1955 and are 20+ pages. My computer savy is not the greatest, no luck here yet to copy 1 page much less 20. If your construction drawings are official, they are either the same or better than what I have. The EV plans are a bit different, though close to the Klipsch Khorn, a few details at least that I can see: EV woofer slot is 6"x13" vs Klipsch 3"x13"(needed for K33E) , EV woofer mounts from the front of cabinet rather than side, EV cabinet is narrower than Klipsh about 3" each side (front panel is "clipped") so compression chamber volume is a bit smaller, EV panel in front of woofer is flat, Klipsh has two angle block ( to prevent 180 degree reflection?), there could be other differences, you may be better off with what you have.

I am still going to keep looking for empty factory bass bins, they are around, I thing I have to many project "irons in the fire" right now to start, if nothing shows up, will go the build path.

511B's on the Cornwalls here, K600's pluging the holes (better that way)

So far, in my '76 Khorns I've used:

Original AA's

DeanG's Auricapped A's

DeanG's Super AA's

I liked the smoothness of the Auricapped A's, especially at lower volumes.

I like the Super AA's at higher volumes and like the adjustable feature. They are by far the clearest, cleanest and most detailed.

I'm sending my original AA's to Bob Crites for a rebuild as a comparison more than anything else at this point. I'll let you know how they compare to the rest of them when I get them back from Bob.

I probably already know the answer to this, but why does'nt Klipsch sell an unfinished Khorn bass bin (like EV used to), they have the patent, the production line, and I am sure they could sell them at a price (not cheap, but still worth it) that they could make a profit?

A look at the prices will give you a clue. The Khorn is the Klipsch flagship, and the company can make all the THX and ipod stuff they want but those products will never eclipse the brand and name value of the Klipschorn-- It's an industry icon that literally defines the company.

If I had a product like that, I wouldn't want pictures of home projects with the name Klipschorn posted for sale on ebay and Audiogon. And no offense intended at all for your woodworking skills. I'm sure they are formidable. Mine aren't, however, and I think they want to keep them out of my hands and the other guys with two hands and four (or more) thumbs.