Poll: new music ?

seti

I agree there has not been very many new artist in the last 5 years that I have liked.

Jack Johnson is about the only one I can think of that I have bought all 3 of his cds over the last 3 years and I play them alot.

Also Putumayo World Music is a record label that takes music from all over the world and puts them on cds. 80-90% of the time I cannot understand the words. But the cds are so well recorded and enginered that they are some of the best sounding cds I have. It is interesting to hear the different types of music from around the world. If you like to listen to or try music from around the world checkout

http://www.putumayo.com/

It's tough to find new music.

I buy 3-6 CD's a week and sometimes out of that I will get one that I play 2 or 3 times and never listen to again. The others I listen to once and they just don't grab me.

I have about a 100 that its seem I listen to over and over again.

Today i bought:

KT Tunstall: I am hoping this will be a killer CD. I read the review in Paste magazine last Friday night and heard her on NPR last Saturday morning. I just heard this woman singing and thought to myself that she was good. Then they said it was KT.

Cat Powers: The Covers Records. I bought the Greatest a couple weeks ago and all the reviews mentioned this one so I bought it.

The Avett Brothers: Again Paste Magazine. The owner at my local CD store really likes them so I bought their new one.

Jack Johnson & Friends: Sound track for Curious George movie. I really like Jack Johnson. I have 3 of his and this makes the second soundtrack also.

Putumayo World Music are great CD's. I have about 6 of them. Like jbsl said alot are in a language I can't understand, but they are awesome.

Something that has changed my listening habit is my iPod. I just burn songs to it and hit shuffle. I listen to it all day at work.

A guy I bought every CD he has done is Ryan Adams, both solo and with Whiskeytown. I haven't sat down and listened to him on my main system, but I'll be listening to the iPod and hear a song and think great lyric and look to see who it is and sure enough it's Ryan Adams.

Oh well. I have 4 new Cd's to listen to. I turned the tubes on and the beer is chillin, just like I'm going to be.

Danny

I voted seasonal, because it's really about every 3 to 6 months.

My source(s) comes from the younger engineers over at the office. They're either new grad's or recent grad's. Generally when I review their projects, I like to take a break every once in a while, and ask them questions about what the listen to, etc., etc.,...... You get the picture.

Pretty soon, the next thing I know, their sending me emails with music attachments. Most recently, I was re-introduced to INXS's new CD, and not too too long ago... Dave Mathews latest stuff with...."Dream Girl"......that's a killer song.

Anyway, look to the younger crowd (geez, I'm only 43, and I'm talking like an old fart) and keep listening to the radio if you want new music. There is lots and lots of stuff out there, you just have to wade through a lot of crap sometimes, before you hit something really good, and then when it happens, it's like music nirvana. I love that feeling when you hear something new, and say to yourself, damnn, where have I been that I missed that.

I agree with Gilbert...the younger ones around where I work (O'ver by Dere) are a great resource although much of what they listen to makes me scratch my head...kinda like my Mom and Dad did when I listened to the Beatles...wanted a Beatles album for Christmas one year and they got 1000 Strings or some such...there WAS a Beatles SONG on there though...[:P][:o][;)]

Bill

Go to www.hifiplus.com It's a british online

magazine with many pages of music reviews available. I

particularly like the way they rate the recording quality separately

from the music. I like to look for good recordings and have found

a few good ones so far. Give it a try.

Are we going to old ?????

I don't like the "new" stuff either .

Although Kati Melua sounds nice .........

But then again she plays old blues stuff !

Bennyboy

Benny, what do like listening too. By looking at your avitar, I'd guess some blues. Let me know, and I'll try to dig something up that you might like. I love blues myself.

Maybe I'm too old and set in my tastes, but I quit buying music back about 30 years ago when all the music fit to be heard had already been released and they pretty much stopped making it after that. The stuff released since then is too formula based, too predictable, too inane, and hardly qualifies as music in my mind. You might think this is because I don't understand it, but I don't think that's true. As a lead guitar for 35 years playing in numerous bands I have played all this new stuff and understand it completely - I just don't like it. Basically, the skill set to compose and perform current popular music is entry level. Most of it is being performed by "musicians" that don't really know how to play. and the listening crowd has no clue...

"Just take those old records off the shelf...."

Pauln

post-16099-13819281618806_thumb.jpg

Not sure but check with this thread Delta Blues Legends Still Playing just down a bit on the first page of 2 channel.

I like John Lee Hooker just bought Big Head Todd and the Monsters for the remake they did with him of Boom Boom.

I did not get the Curious George soundtrack with Jack Johnson and friends. For some reason it did not really grab me like most of his albums.

So instead I got another Putumayo album, Music From the Chocolate Lands which again sounds great very. I wish all albums were recorded like the ones from Putumayo cause even the ones I bought and did not like the style of music they still sounded great.

I never listened to a trumpet player until I bought a SACD of Chris Botti and have liked his stuff since. So I bought his 99 album Slowing Down the world and like it also. I need to try some Chet Baker albums, I think I saw some SACD.

post-13699-13819281619926_thumb.jpg

Over the last decade or so, I've found NPR's All Things Considered to

be a GREAT place to hear phenomenal new (to me) music that I wouldn't

have heard otherwise (God knows local radio is worthless).

Arvo Part, Gavin Beyers, Jordi Savalle, Over the Rhine, Pinback,

Gillian Welch, Ollabelle, Innocence Mission, and John Potter were all

discoveries for me from ATC's "New Music" series.

My twenty-something kids are amazed at some of the the stuff I turn them on to.

Thanks, Noah![:D]

I am always on the lookout for new stuff and always trying to

rediscover the old as well. My tastes are far and wide, so, while

that affords me more availability, I still find myself longing for

more. And yes, it does seem that what passes as musical talent is

becoming a joke these days. Sirius has been a big help in my

quest, but so has this and other forums.